This cookie bars recipe with frosting and sprinkles are a fun dessert to make and turn out moist with the addition of cream cheese. The funfetti cookie bars recipe is super simple and creates a treat that is perfect for any party.
This recipe and post were created for #SummerDessertWeek! Sponsor companies sent me samples, but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Be sure to check back the rest of this week as I will be sharing more sweet treats for #SummerDessertWeek.
Plus, there are many more bloggers joining in the fun, so be sure to scroll down and find links to their blogs, as well.
You can also enter #SummerDessertWeek into any social platform and you’ll find the desserts that we’re making this week!
I love cookie bars, and this recipe is really top notch.
One of the reasons I like this recipe so much is that it’s made with cream cheese, which gives it a more creamy flavor, and it keeps the bars moist.
I made these for a church potluck recently, and I love them because they are so easy to make. Plus, they make quite a few, and they’re rich, so the sugar cookie bars go a long way and are the perfect bar cookies for a crowd.
Recipe and printable instructions listed below
Cookie Bars Recipe
Start by adding the softened butter to the bowl.
Don’t stress too much if you don’t set your butter out to soften. I say this all the time because I forget to set the butter out all the time.
If you have a setting on your microwave, you can use that to soften the butter, or just put the setting on about 10% and run the microwave for a few seconds at a time.
Add the softened cream cheese to the bowl.
Having softened butter and cream cheese will help mix the two together easier, as well as with the sugar.
Now, add the sugar to the bowl.
For this recipe, I used Dixie Crystals.
Next, add the egg to the bowl.
Add the vanilla extract and mix the ingredients together.
For this cookie recipe, I used Adams Best Vanilla Extract. Just taking the lid off and smelling the vanilla brings back so many good memories helping my grandmother bake in her kitchen.
Next, you’re going to add the flour and baking powder and baking soda and mix everything together.
Gather up your sprinkles. These sprinkles, from Sweets & Treats, added a bit of a crunch to the cookie bars recipe. They also add plenty of sparkle and fun.
Add the sprinkles to the cookie batter and mix it together.
Spread the cookie dough into a greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish.
For this recipe, I used the cake from Wilton. One side has colorful circles and triangles for a fun decorated cake pan.
I also used the pan in my buttermilk chocolate cake recipe.
Bake the sugar cookie bars for about 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Set aside to cool for about 30 minutes before making the frosting.
Easy Frosting Recipe
Start by adding the softened butter to the bowl.
Next, add the powdered sugar to the bowl.
Now, add the heavy cream.
And finally, add the vanilla extract to the bowl. Stir everything together until it’s well blended and all the lumps are gone.
You can use this confectioners sugar icing, or frosting, for so many desserts including a lemon pound cake, or even a sweetened condensed milk chocolate pound cake with chocolate frosting.
Spread the frosting on top and follow with the sprinkles. I don’t have the most steady hand, but it turned out great.
What is an example of a bar cookie?
A bar cookie is typically denser than cake, and similar to a cookie, but thicker. It’s usually cut into squares and frosted.
How do you know when cookie bars are done?
The easiest way to test a cookie bar is to insert a cake tester, toothpick, or a thin knife into the batter. If it comes out clean, your cookie bar is done baking. If there’s still batter on the tester, you need to bake it longer.
How do you cut bar cookies?
Allow them to cool before cutting. Once they cool, use a knife to cut the cookies.
Is a bar a cookie?
Basically, yes. A bar is cookie dough that is pressed into a pan and baked.
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
Sponsored Items Used In This Recipe:
- Dixie Crystals Pure Cane Sugar
- Adams Best Vanilla Extract
- Wilton Cake Pan
- Sweets & Treats Sweet Sprinkles
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- 1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream (more if needed)
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Start by adding the butter and cream cheese to a large bowl. Cream together with a hand mixer.
- Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract and mix together until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Mix the sprinkles into the batter.
- Press into the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the bars to cool for about 30 minutes before frosting.
- Add the butter to a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. Mix everything together and spread on top of the cookie bars.
- Sprinkle the sprinkles over the top and cut the bars.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 124mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 19g Protein: 2g
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts:
- Brownie Ice Cream Sundaes from Desserts Required
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars from Family Around the Table
- Simple Watermelon Lime Garnita from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- No Churn Patriotic Funfetti Ice Cream from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- No Churn Lemonade Ice Cream from 4 Sons R Us
- Orange Julius Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Key Lime Pie-sicles from The Domestic Kitchen
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Palatable Pastime
- Mississippi Mud Pie from For the Love of Food
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Pineapple Coconut Milkshakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pound Cake from Pastry Chef Online
- Beach Cake from Everyday Eileen
No Bake Treats:
- Banana Split Eclair Dessert from Big Bear’s Wife
- Lemon Lavender Scones from Jen Around the World
- Frosted Cookie Bars from Miss in the Kitchen
- Easy Raspberry Lemon Crumble Bars from Who Needs A Cape?
- Peach and Nectarine Torte with Almond Whipped Cream from Nancie’s Table
- Cookie Bars from Back To My Southern Roots
- Bomb Pop Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Coconut Congo Squares from Love and Confections
- Orange Creamsicle Truffles from Sweet Beginnings
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #4 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.