Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Sausage bake is a great dish to make ahead, split it up, and reheat when you’re in a rush.
And, don’t forget, like a true southerner a breakfast dish is always perfect for supper, as well.
I’ve shared several recipes in the past month from my friend Beth. She loves to cook and always has the tastiest recipes, is so organized, and is the best multitasker I know.
Plus, she has a large family and really knows how to entertain well. So, anytime you see anything from Beth, scroll down and print it out–you’ll thank her!
Beth shared this recipe with me, we made it, and everyone loved it. If you’ve been on this blog a lot you’ll know I love easy recipes and this is one of them.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Sausage Hash Brown Casserole?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
- Diced onions
- Shredded hash brown potatoes
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
How Do I Make The Sausage Potato Bake?
- Add the pork sausage and diced onions to the skillet and cook until the sausage is done and the onions are translucent.
- Drain the grease from the pan.
- Next, add the hash brown potatoes to the skillet, toss, and cook for about five minutes.
- Add two cups of shredded mozzarella cheese to the skillet and stir.
- Pour all of the ingredients into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes and remove the tin foil.
- Bake 15 to 20 more minutes or until the cheese and hash browns are golden brown.
How To Make Sausage Bake
Start by adding the sausage and diced onions to a skillet.
You can use milk, medium, or spicy sausage for this recipe–whatever you prefer. I used mild because I am a bit of a spicy wimp.
Add the salt and pepper to the skillet and cook until the sausage is done and the onions are translucent.
Drain the grease from the skillet.
Next, add the hash brown potatoes to the skillet, toss, and cook for five minutes. Then, add the cheese and toss.
My hash brown potatoes were still frozen when I added them to the skillet, but if you leave them sitting out to thaw a little that will work, as well.
Spread the sausage breakfast casserole into a greased baking dish.
Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese and shredded potatoes are golden brown.
We like our cheese a little extra crunchy here, so we cooked it the full 20 minutes.
Can I freeze the sausage bake?
Yes, you can freeze the sausage bake, just make sure it cools off a little before adding it to the freezer.
When you’re ready to eat the casserole, thaw it out the day before and reheat the sausage to at least 160-degrees before eating.
More recipes to try with a crowd:
- Slow cooker pork shoulder will feed a large family and it has a ton of flavor and only takes a few minutes to get into the slow cooker.
- Slow cooker pork chops and gravy has been a huge hit on the blog. It’s easy to make and the pork chops come out so tender.
- Slow cooker pork chops and rice is another great recipe that is easy to make and will feed a hungry bunch.
- Slow cooker BBQ beef is another recipe that will feed a crowd and it’s made with homemade BBQ sauce.
Sausage Bake With Hash Browns
Check out the sausage bake recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great dish for the family.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your meal on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 30 oz. bag shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Add the sausage and onions to a skillet and cook until the sausage is done and the onions are translucent.
- Drain the grease.
- Add the hash browns to the skillet, as well as salt, and pepper, toss and cook for five minutes.
- Next, add the mozzarella cheese to the skillet and toss.
- Spread the sausage bake into a 9" x 13" greased baking dish and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese and hash browns are golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 1331mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g
Nutrition is approximate.