Slow cooker creamy chicken and potato soup recipe is comfort food at its finest. The recipe is super easy to make and will feed a crowd.
With tasty ingredients like ranch seasoning, Russet potatoes, shredded chicken, chicken broth, and more it’s a great recipe that even your pickiest eaters will love.
Hearty Soup Slow Cooker Recipe
Chicken and potato soup is a hearty soup that is hot, filling, and so next-level tasty. Cooking it in the slow cooker is fuss-free cooking.
You can add the ingredients in the morning and have dinner in the evening for the whole family.
This is one of our favorite soups around here and the kids love it.
Ingredients For Creamy Soup
- Chicken broth
- Cubed potatoes
- Diced onions
- Minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper
- Skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- Ranch seasoning
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Cream cheese
Full printable recipe with ingredients, measurements, and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Creamy Chicken Potato Soup
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Spray non-stick spray on the inside of a slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, diced onions, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and cream cheese and mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Pour the remainder of the chicken broth over the chicken, place the lid on top and cook for seven and a half hours on low heat.
- After the allotted time, remove the lid and shred the chicken.
- Mix cornstarch and water and pour it into the cooker and mix.
- Replace the lid and cook for at least 30 more minutes until the soup thickens.
- After the soup thickens, spoon into bowls and top with cheese and bacon.
Step By Step Instructions
Start by spraying your Crock Pot with non-stick spray and pour the chicken broth into the bowl.
For this recipe, you can use either chicken broth or chicken stock. Both work great.
Next, peel and dice the potatoes and add them to the pot. I used large potatoes and diced them up for the recipe.
Russet or Yukon gold potatoes work well in this recipe.
You can also use small red potatoes for this meal. You can either peel them or rinse them off and dice them with the skin on. They have a ton of flavor.
Add the diced onions to the pot.
Sprinkle the salt on top.
Next, sprinkle the black pepper and minced garlic on top and stir.
You can either use fresh garlic and mince it or buy it already minced in a jar. Both taste fantastic. I like to buy the minced garlic because it’s all ready to go and I sure like things simple.
Cut up the cream cheese into cubes and add it to the pot.
Place the chicken breasts on top and sprinkle the ranch dressing over the chicken.
Finally, pour the remainder of the chicken broth over the chicken.
Place the slow cooker lid on top and cook on low heat for seven and a half hours.
After the cooking time, remove the lid and shred the chicken.
I got a little messy with it, but that’s ok. It still tastes great.
In a small bowl add the cornstarch.
Add some water to the cornstarch and mix until the lumps are gone. Pour it into the slow cooker and mix.
Replace the lid and cook on low for another 30 minutes or until the soup thickens and serve.
You can add shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon on the top.
Saltine crackers are a good thing with soup, or you can even make some homemade bread, such as French bread, to dip it.
Even a dollop of sour cream right on top adds some more flavor to this comforting soup.
This is the perfect cold day or rainy day soup with a creamy texture. It will become one of your favorite foods.
I love this recipe because I can have it ready any night of the week. I just have to prep it in the morning and by the end of the day, it’s just about ready to go.
How do I store leftover soup?
The soup should be refrigerated and can be kept in an airtight container. To reheat, scoop some into a microwave-safe bowl and reheat for two to three minutes. Be careful, it will be hot.
Can I use rotisserie chicken?
If you’d like to use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken breasts you can do that.
In order to do that, keep the recipe the same, with the exception of adding the chicken breasts. Cook the recipe for six hours on low and check the potatoes. When they are soft, it will be done cooking.
Shred and sprinkle chicken in the Crock Pot when you add the cornstarch and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
This is a recipe that you can even shred and use leftover turkey from the holidays.
Can I use an immersion blender?
If you like a creamier soup, you can use your immersion blender to mash the potatoes more.
This is a great recipe for the beginning of soup season, or anytime in between.
More electric slow cooker recipes
- The best slow cooker cheesy chicken casserole
- Slow cooker pot roast
- Easy slow cooker pulled pork BBQ recipe
- Easy slow cooker chicken and gravy recipe
- Cheesy slow cooker potato soup
- Slow cooker beef stew from Southern Plate
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Potato Soup Recipe
Check out the delicious chicken and potato soup recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is the best soup and it’s so easy to make.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your recipe on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 32 ounces chicken broth (or stock)
- 16 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 ounce dry ranch seasoning
- 1 cup stock, broth, or water (to pour over the chicken and ranch)
After cooking 7-1/2 hours
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Pour 32 ounces of chicken broth into the cooker.
- Peel and dice the potatoes and add to the cooker.
- Add the diced onions on top.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top.
- Add the minced garlic and cream cheese and mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts on top and sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the chicken.
- Pour one more cup of chicken broth over the top of the chicken, cover with the lid, and set the cooking time on seven and a half hours, on low heat.
- After the cooking time, shred the chicken.
- Mix the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water and pour into the slow cooker and mix. Replace the lid and cook for 30 more minutes or until the soup is thickened.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with cheese and bacon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1240mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 29g
Nutrition is approximate.