Y’all will love the slow-simmered goodness of Chicken and Spanish Rice in this tender and delicious slow cooker recipe.
As you go about your day, that slow cooker of yours is silently whippin’ up a dish that is hearty and comforting turning simple fare into a taste of home.
A Flavorful And Easy Meal
Slow cooker chicken and Spanish rice is one of the easiest meals to make and has a kick of flavor that everyone will love.
There’s no guessing involved because you can simply use a bag of Spanish rice, some butter, dry ranch seasoning, chicken stock, and chicken breasts and you’ve got a delicious meal for the evening.
What’s more, you can have the budget-friendly main dish prepped and in the Crock Pot cooking in less than five minutes, so when you get home you won’t have to do much at all.
And, I love those meals that don’t require a lot of work, especially on busy nights.
One of my kids is usually pretty picky and came up to me after the meal and said he really liked it, so this dish is picky-kid approved.
What Ingredients Are In The Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed below in the recipe card.
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken stock
- Yellow Spanish rice
- Ranch seasoning
Let’s get started.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Spanish Rice
First, grease the Crock Pot before adding anything, that way you won’t have to use much elbow grease when it’s clean-up time.
Next, add a stick of butter to the cooker.
Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
I had three large chicken breasts for this recipe, but you can use four smaller ones, as well. These were so big that they ended up feeding all four of us, including two teenage boys, and we had leftovers.
Can You Put Frozen Chicken In A Slow Cooker?
Absolutely. I am terrible about remembering to take the chicken out of the freezer, so I place it right into the Crock Pot and cook it.
You can add about 30 more minutes to the cook time, but it usually cooks just as well in the allotted time.
Sprinkle the packet of dry ranch seasoning on top of the chicken.
The seasoning is going to add a lot of flavor to the dish.
Finally, pour the entire container of chicken stock over the chicken and seasonings.
Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and allow the chicken to cook on low for seven hours.
This slow cooker chicken breast recipe can be cooked on low or on high. The benefit of cooking the food on low, and for a longer amount of time, is that you will ultimately end up with more tender meat.
It will still be delicious and tender on high, but it will fall apart when you go to shred it if you cook it on low.
You can use either chicken broth or chicken stock for this recipe. The stock is going to have a little more flavor because it’s made with the bones and that gives it a little more of a rich taste.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken In The Slow Cooker?
Most of the time I cook chicken on low for about eight hours, even if it starts out frozen. That gives the chicken plenty of time to cook and turns out amazingly tender.
After the chicken cooks for seven hours, remove the lid and shred the chicken.
I use forks to shred the chicken and it falls apart so easily.
TIP: If your slow cooker tends to cook hotter, check the chicken after five hours on low (or three on high) and if it’s ready to shred, go for it.
After shredding the chicken, pour the rice into the slow cooker and make sure it is covered with liquid. Replace the lid and cook 30-45 minutes or until the rice is done.
I use the Vigo Yellow Rice Authentic Spanish Recipe for this dish and it is packed full of flavor.
You should have enough liquid to cook the rice, but you might have to add a little bit of water.
TIP: As the rice cooks check it on occasion to see if you need to add more water. Add 1/2 cup of water at a time, if needed. Stir the ingredients to help get the water and rice moved around to cook better.
The type of rice you use does make a difference. For example, brown rice requires more water. I usually do a taste test after about 30-minutes and if the rice is crunchy, I will add a little more water, stir, and cook it longer.
After the rice cooks, serve, and enjoy!
The meal makes quite a few servings and will feed a crowd. If you have a potluck going on at church or a work party, this is a great meal to take as it will feed about eight full-size servings.
More Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow cooker creamy ranch chicken and potatoes turn out fantastic and cook up almost like a creamy gravy sauce.
- Chicken and dumplings are always a favorite around our house.
- This chicken and rice Crock Pot recipe has been a big hit on Pinterest.
- Creamy chicken and noodles are always a delicious meal.
- Or give this slow cooker chicken pot pie soup a try from Pinch of Yum.
Tips For Making Slow Cooker Chicken And Spanish Rice
- To add more flavor, use some chicken thighs instead of breasts.
- Add some chili powder or cayenne pepper to make things a little spicier.
- If you want to make it a vegetarian dish, switch out the chicken with black beans or some chickpeas.
- Make sure the chicken is fully submerged in the liquid to keep it from getting too dry.
- Don’t take the lid off of this slow cooker. If you do, it will release a lot of the heat and it will take longer to cook.
Variations To Try with Slow Cooker Chicken And Spanish Rice
You can try different ingredients and spices to create your own variation of this slow cooker chicken and Spanish rice recipe. Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- Add diced jalapeño for some super spicy kick.
- Change out the white rice and substitute it with brown rice or quinoa for a healthier option.
- Add some canned tomatoes, such as fire-roasted or diced with green chilies for a different flavor.
- Create a Tex-Mex twist and add corn or black beans.
- Salsa Chicken and Rice:
- Ingredients: Chicken thighs or breasts, rice, salsa (choose your preferred heat level), black beans, corn, diced green chilies, and chicken broth.
- Instructions: Mix all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Top with cheese and sour cream before serving.
- Mediterranean Chicken and Rice:
- Ingredients: Chicken thighs, rice, diced tomatoes, Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, red onions, garlic, chicken broth, oregano, and lemon zest.
- Instructions: Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with a sprinkle of feta cheese and fresh parsley.
Slow Cooker Chicken And Spanish Rice Recipe Below
Slow Cooker Chicken and Spanish Rice is a simple and delicious meal that is is comforting and so easy to make.
With just a few ingredients and your slow cooker, you can create a flavorful and nutritious dish that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
So grab your slow cooker and get ready to enjoy a delicious and easy-to-make family favorite.
- 1 stick butter (8 Tbsp).
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 32 oz. chicken stock or broth
- 16 oz. yellow Spanish rice
- 1 oz. ranch seasoning
- Water (if needed)
- Grease the Crock Pot.
- Add the butter and chicken breasts to the Crock Pot.
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning on top.
- Pour the chicken stock over the chicken in the Crock Pot.
- Close the lid and cook for seven hours on low.
- Remove the lid after seven hours and shred the chicken.
- Add the rice and make sure it is covered with liquid.
- Cook 30-45 minutes or until the rice is done.
TIP: Some slow cookers cook hotter than others. If that is the case, check your chicken after five hours on low (or three hours on high) to see if the chicken is ready to shred. If so, shred and add the rice.
TIP: The type of rice that you choose will also make a difference, as some rice varieties call for more or less water. Be sure to check the package for directions. I always test the rice, by taking a bite, after about 30 minutes. If the rice is still crunchy, I will add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water (sometimes a little more), stir and cook about 15-20 minutes longer or until the rice is soft.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 682mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g
Nutrition is approximate.