Slow Cooker Pot Roast is a mouth-watering, healthy and hearty meal that will feed the entire family.
This beef roast is a stick-to-your-ribs meal with plenty of flavor, and it only requires a few minutes of prep before cooking. You can come home at the end of a long day to a nice hot tender pot roast.
An Easy Pot Roast Recipe
This easy pot roast recipe features veggies, potatoes, chicken broth, and lots of tender meat for a well rounded out meal.
This might be one of the best Crock Pot roast recipes because you can toss the simple ingredients in the pot in under a few minutes, turn it on, let it cook, and come home to a delicious meal.
I gotta say, this main dish is one of my all-time favorite meals–for several reasons:
It’s easy to throw together
It takes me about 15 minutes to peel the potatoes, chop some onions and celery, and add everything to the Crock Pot.
You can add red potatoes, Russet potatoes (that’s what I use), sweet potatoes, or Yukon gold potatoes and have a ton of flavor.
And after picking up kids from school, going to practices, and running errands, it’s nice to come home to a finished meal.
The Slow Cooker Pot Roast Tastes Delicious
I love the way the roast falls apart and the veggies are soft and piping hot. There’s a whole intermingling of flavors that is just amazing.
The Dinner Is Versatile
You can add just about any type of veggie, red wine vinegar, onion flakes, ranch seasoning, or anything you’d like. Tomatoes, green beans, corn, butter beans and so much more can be added to the roast.
What is the best cut of meat for pot roast?
Chuck roast is the best cut of meat for a pot roast, which is the shoulder section.
But there’s more than one type of meat, including:
- Boneless chuck roast
- Shoulder pot roast
Don’t be worried about the fat in the meat because it will add a lot of flavor to this dish and help create tender meat that can’t be beaten. If you place your fork on the meat, it falls apart so easily.
Is there a difference between pot roast and roast beef?
The main difference is that roast beef is cooked without liquid, and pot roast is cooked with liquid.
Is a beef chuck roast tender?
Yes, any meat that comes from the shoulder will be tender cuts of beef, and very delicious after the cooking process.
Items you will need for the best pot roast recipe in a slow cooker:
- Crock Pot
- Chuck roast
- Large potatoes
- Baby carrots
- Diced celery
- Diced onion
- Minced garlic
- 1 packet of onion soup mix
- Chicken broth
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Where do you buy your meat and veggies?
I usually buy the meat at Publix or Fresh Market when it goes on sale.
You can freeze it until you’re ready to use the meat and then you can set the meat in the refrigerator at least one day ahead to thaw it out a little.
I buy the veggies at Aldi’s Grocery Store or Kroger delivery because I get a great deal on the veggies. You can buy a large bag of potatoes for around five dollars.
How long do I cook a pot roast in the slow cooker?
I usually cook the meat for about eight hours on low to get it tender. You can also cook the roast on high for four to six hours, but I personally don’t think the meat will be as tender.
How To Make the Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Peel and dice the potatoes and put them into the bottom of the slow cooker.
TIP: I always spray the cooker with non stick cooking spray before adding any food. It helps make clean up easier.
Cut up the celery and the onion and add it in. I use baby carrots and just put those in whole.
I also buy minced garlic in a small jar. It just makes life easier and I can spoon some out and put it in the slow cooker.
Place beef chuck roast on the top and sprinkle the packet of dried onion soup mix on top.
If you don’t have any dry onion soup mix, you can sprinkle on some dry ranch dressing mix instead, beefy onion dry soup mix, or French onion soup mix. The other soups make for a flavorful roast, as well.
I like to keep a packet of Lipton handy for recipes. You can get a regular rotation of soup flavors going for your pot roasts.
If you want to make your own soup mix, give this homemade dry onion soup mix a try from The County Cook.
Some people like to sear both sides of their meat in a large hot skillet with butter before adding it to the slow cooker. You can do that, but it’s not necessary.
Add the chicken broth (or beef broth) and water, as well as a pinch of salt and pepper to give it some more seasoning.
I didn’t add too much salt, because the onion soup can be a bit salty.
Cook on low heat for about eight hours. At the end of the cooking time, when you take off the lid, you’ll have a wonderful beef pot roast.
If you want to cook the roast in less time, you can cook it on the high setting for about five to six hours. Just be sure it’s done cooking.
The temperature should reach 210-degrees when it’s done cooking.
Mmm… your easy slow cooker pot roast recipe is done with little effort!
This pot roast recipe in the slow cooker is somewhat of a budget-friendly meal. I spent around $20 for everything.
We have two adults and two growing teens and we got two good, filling meals out of the recipe.
We love leftovers here, and that’s one more night I don’t have to cook!
Other slow cooking meals that are perfect for potlucks, family meals, and easy dinners:
- Crock Pot Beef and Noodles – This is similar to a hamburger helper type of meal. But, you’re not standing in front of the stove. It’s one of those easy recipes to make and has a lot of flavor with ingredients such as Worcestershire sauce, mushroom soup, ground beef, and sour cream. Plus, you’ll have plenty of leftovers.
- Easy Crock Pot Meatball recipe – This is a great dish to make for parties or for home. You can save it for several meals and eat with mashed potatoes, on a hoagie bun, or on top of noodles.
- Crock Pot Chicken and Rice – This is one of my favorite meals around here. I am not always the best planner and I forget to set out the chicken to thaw. Thankfully, I can add frozen chicken to the slow cooker, let it cook, and later add some rice. It’s a super easy family dinner.
- Chicken and Dumplings – I make this a lot around here. It’s such an easy dinner to make and it’s another recipe where you can use frozen chicken in the slow cooker. You just need to add a few things and you’ll have dinner on the table in a few hours.
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops and Gravy has been a very popular recipe because it’s so delicious and easy to make. This is another soup mixture recipe, with condensed soup, that has so much flavor.
What To Serve With Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
Check out the best slow cooker pot roast recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great meal any time of the year and I think you’ll love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your classic pot roast recipe on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 6 large potatoes (cut into 1-1/2" pieces)
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 celery stalk (diced)
- 1/4 onion (diced)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 - 1oz pkg onion dip
- 1 - 14.5oz. can chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cans water (use the chicken broth can)
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into 1-1/2" pieces, and add to the slow cooker.
- Dice the onion and celery and add it to the slow cooker, as well as the carrots and garlic.
- Add the chuck roast on top and sprinkle the onion dip over the top of the roast.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the can of chicken broth and 2-1/2 cans of water to the slow cooker. (You might need a little bit more or less water, depending on the size of your slow cooker).
- Set on low and cook for 8 hours or until the roast is tender.
Add tomatoes or corn for more variety.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 631Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 504mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 48g
Nutrition is approximate