Homemade frosted brownies are a delicious recipe made from scratch.
Sometimes, the simplest things are the best.
Case in point: brownies. But not just any old brownies – frosted cake-like brownies. This recipe is so easy to follow and the results are absolutely delicious.
Whether you’re a chocolate lover or not, you’re going to love these. So what are you waiting for? Get baking!
The Best Fudgy Brownies
The brownies are easy to make and are a delicious dessert for any occasion.
I love homemade brownies. I truly think they are one of my favorite desserts.
The frosting on this brownie is one of a kind. It’s fluffy and sweet and really takes the brownie to the next level.
When we have days that are a little longer than usual and the kids stay after school, I try to bring a treat. The boys are always so hungry when they get in the car.
Let me tell you, they were pretty excited about these brownies.
When I cut one of the brownies into a smaller size, they immediately started asking for two. You can’t blame them for that!
They are a cinch to make and turn out delicious.
Ingredients For The Brownies And Frosting
The classic brownie recipe only requires some basic ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry.
- Unsweetened chocolate squares
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Unsweetened chocolate squares
- Whipped topping (thawed)
- Powdered sugar
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Add the butter and unsweetened chocolate to a mixing bowl and melt in the microwave.
I do this in increments of 30 seconds.
I will take the bowl out of the microwave and stir it up after each time. It usually takes about one minute and 30 seconds.
Make sure you have a microwave-safe bowl.
Add the brown sugar to the butter mixture and stir it until it’s mixed in.
Next, add the eggs, water, and vanilla extract and mix it all together.
In a separate bowl, add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix it together.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend it together. I really didn’t need the mixer for this, and used the whisk.
Pour the brownie batter into a greased 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish and bake at 325-degrees for about 25 minutes.
I use cooking spray to grease the pan before I start the recipe.
The square baking dish creates thick brownies. You can also use a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish for thinner brownies.
The baking time should be close to the same time.
The brownies are done when a cake tester comes out clean.
You can also do the cake tester or toothpick test. If the tester or toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are done.
The brownies are more cakey, so you won’t get the crackly top like typical brownies.
Once you take the brownies out of the oven, let them cool.
Add the unsweetened chocolate to a bowl with butter and microwave in 30-second increments.
Stir between each increment. It will take about a minute to melt the chocolate.
Add the whipped topping to the melted chocolate.
I used Cool Whip for the recipe.
I never used to be a huge fan of whipped topping (although, I’d still eat it), but there are a lot of great recipes that use it.
It makes the dessert fluffier and a bit richer in flavor.
I had some leftover whipped topping and I had to work hard at keeping my youngest, Ethan, from just standing there with a spoon and the container.
Add the powdered sugar and mix it well.
I used a hand mixer so it would smooth out any lumps from the powdered sugar.
Yum, yum, yum, this is such good frosting.
The frosting is great on cakes, cupcakes, brownies, and more.
Spread the frosting on top.
My brownies sank just a tad in the middle, but that’s ok, because the frosting will cover it up and no one will ever know! And, it tastes just the same.
This could almost pass for cake, but it’s thicker and more dense like a brownie.
These are the best brownies with the most delicious chocolate flavor.
This is a delicious treat for potlucks, taking to the office, or making for a dessert at home.
The brownies can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I’d love to hear if you make it or put a spin on it! Tell me about it in the comments below.
More Delicious Desserts
- Four ingredient microwave peanut butter fudge – the decadent taste of fudge in a fraction of the time.
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies – your favorite cookie
- Easy lemon bars – need a sweet and tart treat? This is the one.
- Red velvet swirl cheesecake brownies – add some spice to your Valentine dessert table.
- Chocolate caramel brownies – this is one of those homemade brownies recipes with sweetened condensed milk and it’s to die for.
- Lunch lady brownies – remember these from school? They are still just as good.
- Cake mix waffles from Kelsey at Dance Around The Kitchen
Optional Additions For The Brownies
- Sprinkles on top
- White chocolate chips
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Toffee bits
- Dark chocolate chips
- Milk chocolate chips
If you’re looking for best frosted brownies and easy-to-follow directions that will have everyone asking for seconds (or thirds), look no further.
These rich brownies are absolutely amazing and perfect for any occasion.
After all, homemade brownie recipes are the best!
So what are you waiting for? Get baking!
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whipped topping (thawed)
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments (stirring between each increment) until chocolate is melted.
- Add the brown sugar, eggs, water, and vanilla and stir until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to a medium-sized bowl. Mix it together.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and blend well.
- Add to a greased 9" x 13" casserole dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate square with the butter in 30-second increments. (Stir between each increment).
- Add the whipped topping and powdered sugar and mix with a mixer.
- Spread the frosting on top of the brownies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 567Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 3gSugar: 67gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is approximate.