Lunch lady brownies are easy to make, will satisfy any chocolate craving, and are topped with a creamy frosting.
The homemade brownie recipe has been around a long time and is a favorite treat for kids of all ages.
Brownies From The School Cafeteria
Remember those ladies in the elementary school cafeteria? They made the perfect brownie with rich chocolate frosting.
I was trying to figure out if I liked the chewy brownie or the frosting the best in this recipe, but I couldn’t decide. I think I love the combination of the homemade brownie with the soft and creamy chocolate frosting.
The delicious brownies seem like they have been around forever, with a few variations here and there. But, all in all, it’s pretty much made the same.
The classic recipe usually includes a decadent frosting on top of the moist chewy brownies.
Watch The Video!
What Ingredients Are Needed For Delicious Lunch Lady Brownies?
- Large bowl
- Hand mixer
- 9″ x 13″ baking dish
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Unsweetened cocoa
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make The Homemade Brownies
- Add the melted butter and unsweetened cocoa to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Next, add the all-purpose flour, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix well and pour into a baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- For the frosting, add the powdered sugar and unsweetened cocoa to a medium-sized bowl and mix.
- Add the milk and softened butter. Mix and spread onto the brownies.
Step-By-Step Instructions For Lunch Lady Brownies
Start by adding melted butter to a large bowl.
Next, add the unsweetened cocoa and mix with the hand mixer.
You can mix by hand, but it will be hard to get all of the tiny lumps out of there.
Using a hand mixer or stand mixer will work better for this recipe. You can use the paddle attachment with the stand mixer.
Now, add the all-purpose flour.
The brownie ingredients will be thick.
Now, add the eggs and vanilla to the bowl.
Mix everything well.
Pour the brownie batter into a greased pan and bake the brownies for about 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
I say, “pour,” but it’s such a thick batter that you will scrape it from the bowl, press it into the pan, and spread it around.
I used a jelly roll pan because it was a great size for making the brownie recipe, but you can use a casserole dish, as well.
I used nonstick cooking spray on the pan to keep the brownies from sticking.
You can also line the pan with parchment paper to remove them more easily after they cool.
Decadent Chocolate Frosting
The homemade chocolate frosting is one that you can use on other desserts, such as cake or cupcakes. It’s super easy to make and only requires four simple ingredients.
Start by adding the powdered sugar and the unsweetened cocoa to a bowl.
Mix the two ingredients with a fork or a whisk so they are combined.
You’ll need at least a medium-sized bowl.
Next, pour the milk into the bowl.
Finally, add the softened butter to the bowl and mix until everything is well incorporated and ready to spread onto the brownies.
If the chocolate frosting seems a bit thick, add a tablespoon of milk. If it’s too runny, add a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar.
Spread the frosting onto the lunch lady brownies.
This is a great recipe for any occasion. Moist brownies with chocolatey frosting on top of the brownies is heaven.
And, if you tell people they are the lunch lady brownie recipe from school lunch dessert, everyone will reminisce about those sweet ladies we all loved in the cafeteria.
Optional Toppings To Sprinkle On Top
- Chocolate chips
- Drizzle chocolate syrup
More Chocolate Desserts You’ll Love:
These are all wonderful recipes and easy to make.
- Cosmic brownies from Sugar Spun Run are another great brownie recipe.
- Can’t decide between cookies and brownies? Brookies are the perfect combination and have plenty of chocolate flavor.
- My son loves these chocolate chip cookies with pudding.
- Muddy buddies are fun anytime, and they work well for the holidays. You can add different color treats to match the holidays.
- Chocolate lasagna is one of our favorite desserts around here. It’s creamy, chocolatey, and super delish!
How To Store The Favorite Dessert
The brownies can be stored in an airtight container on the counter or in the refrigerator. However, the brownies will last longer in the fridge.
Should I Refrigerate Brownies?
It depends on the brownie, but in this case, you do not have to refrigerate them.
How Long Will Brownies Last?
Brownies will last about one week in an airtight container and about two weeks in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Lunch Lady Brownies?
You can freeze the brownies for up to two months. Make sure they are in an airtight and freezer-safe container.
Lunch lady brownies are a great recipe that your friends and family members will love. They use basic pantry staples and will be one of your favorite recipes. Trust me, you will have a hard time putting down the tasty brownies.
So, the next time you’re in the mood for a chocolate fix but don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, whip up a batch of these lunch lady brownies.
You won’t regret it! And if you do, be sure to get the recipe so you can make them again and again.
The grade school brownies are always a huge hit and a chocolate lover’s dream.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Add the melted butter and unsweetened cocoa to a large bowl. Mix.
- Next, add the all-purpose flour, sugar, eggs, and vanilla to the bowl. Mix.
- Pour batter into the baking dish and spread out to edge.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Add the powdered sugar and unsweetened cocoa to a medium-sized bowl and mix.
- Next, add the milk and the softened butter. Mix well.
- Spread on the cooled brownies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is approximate.