Brookies, a brownie cookie recipe, are the perfect dessert when you can’t decide between the two. The recipe is easy to make and combines the best of both chocolate worlds with a scrumptious chocolate chip cookie and a chewy chocolate brownie.
These might be one of my favorite desserts with the cookie and brownie combo. It’s such an easy recipe to make and it turns out so chewy, rich, and chocolatey.
I made this recipe to bring to my church Bible study group and everyone seemed to really enjoy them. And, how can you go wrong with so much chocolate?
How to make the brownie cookies (Brookies)
- Add the butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla into a large bowl. Mix everything together.
- Next, add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix together.
- Pour the chocolate chips into the bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and cocoa powder and mix together.
- Pour the flour and salt into the bowl and mix.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips to the bowl and mix.
- Spread the brownies into a greased 11″ x 7″ casserole dish.
- Now, place spoonfuls of the cookie dough on top of the brownies. Spread it out just a little.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
What you’ll need to make the Brookies
- Baking dish
- Hand Mixer
- Large bowl
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Brookie recipe and printable instructions listed below
Start by adding the softened butter to the bowl.
If you’re like me and forgot to set the butter out on the counter to soften, just place it in the microwave for a few seconds on super low.
If you have a new microwave you might just have a setting for softening butter.
Our microwave went kaput a few months ago and we got a new one with a softening setting and I was pleasantly surprised. I’m guessing whoever thought of that forgets to put their butter out to soften quite often.
Secondly, add the brown sugar to the bowl.
I used light brown sugar for this recipe. You can use dark brown sugar and it will give the cookies a bit more of a deeper flavor.
Add the granulated sugar and the vanilla extract to the bowl.
Mix everything together well.
I use a hand mixer for mixing both batters because it makes life a lot easier and the batter ends up being much smoother. You can use a fork, but your batter may not be as smooth.
I use a spatula to mix in the chocolate chips.
Next, add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and then mix everything together until well blended.
The chocolate chips are the next ingredient to go into the cookies. Stir them into the dough and set aside while you make the brownies.
Start off by melting the butter and add it to a bowl.
Next, add the granulated sugar to the bowl.
The next ingredient is the brown sugar and once you add it in, mix everything together.
Once you’ve mixed everything, add the eggs and vanilla extract.
Followed by the unsweetened cocoa.
I don’t know what it is about cocoa, but I always seem to make a mess taking it out of the container because it wants to jump all over the place.
Anyone else have that issue, or am I just the messy one?
Next, add the flour and salt and mix together. It will be thick with the addition of the flour and cocoa.
Finally, add the chocolate chips to the bowl and mix into the batter. You can mix the chocolate chips with a spatula.
Grease the pan with some butter or non-stick spray and spread the brownie batter into the pan.
This is where the fun begins. I love adding the chocolate chip cookies and brownies together in the baking dish. You can use a larger pan, but I used an 11″ x 7″ pan.
I personally like my brookies to be nice and thick, so using a smaller dish helps achieve that. However, I wouldn’t go any smaller because it will end up being too thick and might not fit in a pan any smaller.
Next, place large spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto the brownie batter.
Finally, spread the cookie dough out a bit over the brownie batter.
I kind of like little bits of chocolate to peek through from below, as you see in the photo above. It gives it a fun look when the brookies are done baking.
Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
If you think the brookies need to bake a little longer, keep baking in increments of five minutes. The top of the cookie should be golden brown like you see in the photo above.
Allow the cookies to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting (if you can last that long. Is there anything better than hot brookies right out of the oven? Nope!).
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8 Tbsp. butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 10 Tbsp. butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Grease an 11" x 7" baking dish.
- Add the softened butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla to a large bowl. Mix together with a hand mixer.
- Next, add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and mix until well blended.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips and stir in with a spatula. Set aside.
1. First add the melted butter to a large bowl.
2. Next, add the white and brown sugar, the eggs, vanilla, and the cocoa powder to the bowl. Mix together until well blended.
3. Add the flour and salt and mix well.
4. Finally, add the chocolate chips and stir in with a spatula.
5. Spread the brownie mix on the bottom of the pan.
6. Take large spoonfuls of the cookie dough and place on top of the brownie mix. Spread out just a little bit, allowing bits of brownie to still show through.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Duralex 100009 Made In France Lys Stackable 9-Piece Bowl Set
- KitchenAid 606354-KHM512HT Hot Sauce 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer
- Pampered Chef Mix N Scraper #1657
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 245 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 46mg Sodium: 179mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 22g Protein: 3g