Making Chocolate Icing
This is honestly one of the fastest and easiest recipes for icing. It takes about five minutes to complete and if it turns out too runny or too thick, it’s super easy to fix.
What is the difference between frosting and icing?
Frosting is typically more fluffy and holds the shape better when added to cakes or cupcakes.
Icing is more glossy and thinner than frosting. It can be used on cupcakes but will look a little different than frosting because it is thinner.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Chocolate Icing?
- Butter, melted
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make The Icing?
- Add the powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa, vanilla extract, melted butter, and warm water to a glass bowl and mix until creamy.
- Pour over cakes, cookies, or cupcakes.
How To Make Chocolate Icing
Start by adding the powdered sugar to a large bowl.
Next, add the unsweetened cocoa to the bowl.
If you don’t want chocolate, you can easily leave the unsweetened cocoa out of the recipe.
Pour the vanilla extract into the bowl.
Next, pour the melted butter into the bowl.
And lastly, pour the water into the bowl.
You can use either water or milk for this recipe. If you’d like to make it even richer, you can add heavy whipping cream to the recipe instead of water.
Mix everything together well and pour over your dessert.
What if my icing is too thick or too runny?
If your icing is too thick, add one teaspoon of water to the bowl and mix. If it’s still too thick, add more water, one teaspoon at a time.
If it’s too runny, add one teaspoon of powdered sugar at a time until it reaches the consistency that you would like.
I like to be able to pour the icing over the cake, so I like mine a little thinner.
For this recipe, the icing will not completely cover a bundt cake, so if that’s what you’d like to do, you will need to double the recipe.
Recipes to use the homemade chocolate icing:
- Brownie cake is in the picture below and it’s a decadent and wonderful cake.
- Buttermilk chocolate cake is another delicious recipe with chocolate icing.
- You can drizzle the icing over chewy sugar cookies.
- Homemade brownies are a delicious treat with some chocolate icing on the top.
Easy Chocolate Icing Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a great recipe for cakes, cupcakes, and cookies.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your homemade icing on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2-3 Tbsp. warm water (or milk or heavy whipping cream)
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa, vanilla extract, butter, and water to a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour over a dessert.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 0gSugar: 43gProtein: 0g
Nutrition is approximate.