Cream cheese sausage balls with bacon are the perfect appetizer to serve at any party or gathering.
The combination of pork sausage, cream cheese, ranch seasoning, biscuit mix, minced onion, cheddar cheese, and fresh crumbled bacon makes a mouthwatering snack or meal.
DISCLAIMER: This post is sponsored by the Wisconsin Pork Producers Association. As always, the opinions are honest and are all my own.
Sausage Balls Are Great For Holidays
The sausage balls are great for holiday gatherings, office parties, potlucks, picnics, or for snacking.
The recipe is easy to make and packed full of flavor. And, it’s a one-bowl recipe, so it couldn’t be any easier.
This recipe makes about three dozen sausage balls, so you will have plenty to go around–that’s if you have any left to share. They are delish!
I’ve worked with Wisconsin Pork in the past and I’ve always enjoyed sharing the things I like and appreciate about hog farmers.
And, if not for them, we wouldn’t have sausage or bacon–and I could just about live off of those two ingredients.
We love pork around our house, and sausage is one of my favorite ingredients to add to a dish.
My grandfather had a few hogs and made his sausage. I don’t think I appreciated it as much then as I do now. I sure wish I had paid attention!
I can remember him going out behind the barn and feeding them. As kids, my cousin and I would sit on the back of the barn and watch them eat.
The farmers and people in the hog industry work hard to build and keep trust all along the line, including building trust with consumers that enjoy foods like sausage and bacon.
In my grandfather’s day, there wasn’t a lot of technology involved. Now, pork farmers employ a great deal of technology on their farms.
That new technology creates a safer environment for the animals and the food.
Find out more at Porkcares.org
Nutrition in Pork
We gobbled up the sausage balls super fast because they came out so flavorful. But, besides great flavor, did you know pork is very high in protein?
According to Pork.org, “Through dedication to providing protein that people are looking for with a complete nutrient package in mind, today’s pork is 16 percent leaner and 27 percent lower in saturated fat compared to 29 years ago.”
Pork includes a lot of vitamins and minerals such as B-6, selenium, zinc, and much more. And, it’s naturally low in sodium, which is always a good thing.
I am always trying to get more potassium in my diet, which helps regulate blood pressure, and eating pork is a great (and delicious) way to do that.
And the best part? There are thousands of pork recipes out there to choose from. Buying pork from your local butcher or the grocery store supports hog farmers all across America.
You can find a multitude of information about the nutrition in pork at Pork.org
What Ingredients Do You Need For The Sausage Balls Recipe?
- Cream cheese
- Biscuit mix
- Dry ranch seasoning mix
- Dried minced onions
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
How To Make Sausage Balls
- Add the sausage, cream cheese, biscuit mix, ranch seasoning mix, minced onions, bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix well with a hand or stand mixer.
- Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Easy Sausage Balls
Start by adding the sausage to a large bowl.
For this recipe, I used my stand mixer, but you can use a hand mixer, as well.
I used a sausage roll for the recipe, and you can choose mild, medium, or spicy.
I’m a bit of a spicy wimp, so I chose mild, but my kids like their sausage hot. So, we’ll try spicy next time.
Next, add the softened cream cheese to the bowl.
Pour the biscuit mix, ranch seasoning, and dried minced onion into the bowl.
Add the crumbled bacon to the bowl.
You can use either pre-cooked bacon or cook the bacon at home before adding it to the recipe.
I bought a pack of bacon and cooked it in the microwave and crumbled it up.
We had a terrible time keeping our hands out of it because who doesn’t love bacon? Once you smell bacon, you just can’t say no.
Finally, add the shredded cheddar cheese to the bowl and mix everything together.
Scoop out some sausage mixture and roll it into balls and place them on the cookie sheet.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
You can easily check the temperature of the sausage with a digital thermometer.
Pork, in general, is finished cooking at 145-degrees. Ground sausage should reach a temperature of 160-degrees before it is completely cooked.
You can see in the picture above that the pork was cooked. If you use a digital thermometer to check the temperature, make sure it doesn’t touch the pan, or you will get an incorrect reading.
Can the sausage balls be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze the pre-cooked sausage balls and use them when you are ready. Just be sure not to leave them on the counter for too long before cooking.
The cream cheese sausage balls with bacon can also be made a day ahead of time. You can keep them in the fridge and pull them out when you’re ready to cook them.
More sausage recipes:
- Black-eyed pea soup with sausage is perfect for those cold winter months.
- Easy southern sausage quiche is a great dish for breakfast.
- Cream cheese dip with sausage is handy for parties, get-togethers, or snacking at home.
- Sausage crescent rolls are easy to make and will feed a large family at breakfast time.
The sausage balls go great with ranch dip, french onion dip, or any type of creamy dip.
Other tasty pork recipes:
- Slow cooker pork chops and gravy is a super easy meal that comes out so tender and delicious.
- Pork chops in the air fryer is another great way to cook dinner. The pork chops are breaded and cooked for a crispy outside and a tender pork chop on the inside.
- Slow cooker pork chops and rice is one of the easiest dinners to make. You can add chicken flavored rice, Spanish rice, white, or brown rice for a variety of flavors.
- Baked pork chops and gravy is another super-fast meal to make that is packed full of flavor.
Cream Cheese Sausage Balls with Bacon Recipe Card
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a fun and tasty appetizer for any occasion.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your sausage balls on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 16 oz. ground pork sausage roll
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 oz. pkg, ranch seasoning mix
- 1 Tbsp. minced onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Add the sausage, cream cheese, biscuit mix, ranch seasoning mix, minced onion, cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon to a large bowl and mix well.
- Roll the sausage into balls and place them on a cookie sheet about two inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160-degrees.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.