If you’ve ever been to Ruth’s Chris Steak House, you probably already know that the side dishes are the best part of the meal.
Not that those steaks aren’t scrumptious, but when it comes to their original recipe for sweet potato casserole, it is truly spectacular!
So, let’s dive into how to make a copycat Ruth’s Chris sweet potato casserole.
One Of The Great Recipes
That brown sugar pecan crust is purely dazzling and one of the great recipes. It’s something that I simply had to recreate in my kitchen for a holiday meal.
And lo and behold, the whole family went nuts for it.
Of course, they just about didn’t get any because it’s so good I wanted to keep it all to myself.
While we can’t always dine out at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, I can always whip up this family favorite any time the mood strikes at home, and now, you can too!
A Delicious Copycat of Ruth’s Chris Steak House
This sweet potato casserole tastes so decadent, but when you scroll down to the recipe, you’ll see it’s made with some very simple ingredients. You don’t have to go to Ruth Chris to get the restaurant version.
The first time I had this side dish, I swooned. It’s so delicious that even non-sweet potato lovers gobble it up at Thanksgiving dinner.
You can make it during the holiday season, for a special occasion, or if you’re like me, any time of the year when you want to have a sublime side dish to pair with your meal.
Get Ready to Make Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole!
Ruth’s Chris sweet potato casserole starts out with preparing your sweet potatoes, so they’re nice and creamy. They’re combined with butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract in a prepared baking dish.
The top of the sweet potato mixture is dressed with a pecan streusel that makes it all the more divine. It’s made with chopped pecans, flour, brown sugar, melted butter, and a little salt.
Ingredients For Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet potatoes
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Chopped pecans
- Unsalted butter
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Copycat Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Sweet Potato Mixture
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Poke a few holes in the potatoes with a fork.
- Bake the potatoes for one hour. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- Peel the skin off the potatoes and add the insides to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs and mix well until the potatoes are fluffy.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into a greased 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish.
- Bake the casserole for 30-35 minutes or until firm.
Brown Sugar Crumble Topping
- Add the flour, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and salt to a bowl and mix.
- Pour the butter into the bowl and toss until combined.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar crumble crust mixture over the baked layer of creamy sweet potatoes and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
Sweet Potato Casserole Base
Wash the sweet potatoes and dry them off with a towel. Poke a few holes in them with a fork and bake for close to one hour.
Let the potatoes cool, and then peel the skin. Add the inside of the potatoes to a large bowl and beat with a mixer.
Once the potatoes bake and have cooled off, it’s super simple to peel off the skin. Just have a bowl nearby because it’s a little messy.
Add the softened stick of butter and sugar to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and mix.
Pour the vanilla extract into the bowl and mix.
Add the eggs to the sweet potatoes and mix well.
Pour the sweet potato casserole into a greased baking dish and bake.
Brown Sugar Pecan Crumble Crust Topping
Start by adding the flour to a mixing bowl.
Next, add the brown sugar to the mixing bowl.
Add the chopped pecans to the mixing bowl.
Pour the melted butter and salt into the mixing bowl.
Word to the wise, use unsalted butter since you’re adding a little salt in for that topping. You don’t want it to come out too salty and throw the flavors off balance.
Mix the ingredients until everything is combined.
Take the sweet potato casserole out of the oven after it’s done baking.
Sprinkle the topping on top of the sweet potatoes and return it to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Once it bakes, it’s ready to serve!
It really is the perfect side dish! Sweet potato casserole pairs with steaks just beautifully if you want to create a Ruth’s Chris Steak House dinner at home.
It’s also a match for roast turkey, ham, and just about any other main dish.
More Delicious Side Dishes
- Green beans and bacon
- Pineapple casserole
- Jiffy cornbread dressing
- Jiffy corn pudding
- Easy homemade dinner rolls
- Moist Jiffy cornbread
- Honey-glazed spiced carrots from Southern Living
How To Make Copycat Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
If you’re like me and Ruth’s Chris Steak House is one of your favorite restaurants, you won’t want to miss this sweet potato casserole copycat recipe. It’s truly a perfect dish to add to your holiday menu of delicious side dishes.
Give it a try…you won’t be sorry. And trust me when I say that after you make it, your whole family will hound you until you make it again!
Sweet Potato Layer
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Pecan Crumble Topping
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons of melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish with nonstick spray or butter.
Sweet Potato Layer
- Rinse off the potatoes and towel dry. Poke a few holes in each side with a fork.
- Bake on a cookie sheet at 425 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until soft.
- Reduce the oven to 375 degrees.
- Allow the potatoes to cool. Peel and add the insides to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the stick of butter to the potatoes and mix.
- Next, add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until firm and golden brown around the edges.
Brown Sugar Pecan Crumble Topping
1. In a small bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, salt, and pecans and mix.
2. Pour the butter into the bowl and mix until combined.
3. Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potatoes and bake another 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Once the potatoes cool, the peel should come off very easily.
Do not start making the crumble topping until the sweet potatoes cook.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Basics 2 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid - 7 inch x 11 Inch by Pyrex
KitchenAid KSM150PSGA Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Green Apple
Duralex 100009 Made In France Lys Stackable 9-Piece Bowl Set
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 389mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 4gSugar: 54gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is approximate.