Thanksgiving dinner could never be complete without this holiday classic side dish, the best candied sweet potato casserole recipe.
Made With Fresh Sweet Potatoes
The recipe is made with fresh sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked to perfection. And it only requires a few simple ingredients.
Whether it’s the holiday season or for any of your favorite special occasions, this easy recipe is one that fills your house with a warm and inviting aroma.
And it fills your belly with plenty of love too!
Candied Sweet Potato Casserole Is the Perfect Holiday Side Dish
To put it another way, if I don’t put this candied sweet potato casserole on my Thanksgiving table, I’m going to get an earful from family.
We usually have a full house for the holidays, and Thanksgiving is no exception.
I honestly can’t even imagine skipping this recipe. It would never cross my mind.
For starters, it’s an easy sweet potato casserole recipe. You’ll have it ready to go in no time and can either get busy on something else or enjoy spending time with your guests.
Another thing is that it’s just so good. That brown sugar mixture really gives it that extra special something. I promise you won’t miss those mini marshmallows (I never thought I’d say that).
Ingredients For Candied Sweet Potato Casserole
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make The Candied Sweet Potato Recipe
- Peel and slice your potatoes into 1/4-inch slices.
- Line the sweet potatoes into the baking dish.
- Pour the melted butter over the sweet potatoes.
- Next, pour the maple syrup over the sweet potatoes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After the sweet potatoes cook for 30 minutes, grab a small bowl and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and pecans and mix.
- Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and take off the aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the sweet potatoes and return it to the oven, uncovered, to bake for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Grab your prepared baking dish or your casserole dish, and let’s get started baking up this glorious southern sweet potato casserole for your family!
Start by peeling the sweet potatoes. Peel until you see that orange flesh.
Line the sweet potatoes in a greased baking dish.
For this recipe, I used an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish. I used nonstick cooking spray to grease the baking dish.
Melt the butter and pour it over the sweet potatoes.
Pour the maple syrup over the sweet potatoes.
The maple syrup is going to give the sweet potatoes a deep flavor.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
After the potatoes have cooked for 30 minutes, add some brown sugar to a bowl.
Add the chopped pecans to the bowl.
Next, add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to the bowl and mix the ingredients.
Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and remove the aluminum foil.
Sprinkle the brown sugar and pecan topping over the top of the sweet potatoes.
Add the baking dish back to the oven, uncovered, and bake for 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
Once the potatoes cook and are tender, they are ready to serve.
Knock Their Socks Off with the Best Candied Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Your holiday meal just got even better with the addition of this perfect side dish.
The topping for those tender sweet potatoes is made with brown sugar, chopped pecans, and some of those spice rack staples – cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground ginger. But, you can add other seasonings if you’d like to.
Alternatively, if you’re missing any of those spices, you can always use a teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice instead to complete the spectrum of flavors.
Everyone will be happy to see this classic Thanksgiving side dish on the table.
How To Store The Candied Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Store the delicious side dish in an airtight container or cover with some plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
More Delicious Holiday Recipes
- Pecan pie recipe without corn syrup (with maple syrup)
- Easy maple walnut fudge
- Easy pumpkin spice bread with maple cream icing
- The best mashed potatoes
- Easy homemade dinner rolls
- Easy spinach dip Christmas tree appetizer
- Chocolate pecan pie bars
- Jiffy corn pudding
- Braided lattice apple pie from Ahead of Thyme
If you make this candied sweet potato casserole recipe, it’s going to be a huge hit. You don’t have to wait for the holidays or special occasions to come up either. Who says you can’t enjoy those sweet holiday season flavors any time of year?
Check out the recipe card below to get the full details on how to make this easy sweet potato casserole!
The classic dish is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving feast.
- 5 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 8 Tablespoons of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Place the sweet potatoes into a baking dish and line them up.
- Pour the melted butter and maple syrup over the potatoes.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Just before the potatoes come out of the oven, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and pecans in a bowl.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and take off the aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the sweet potatoes and return them to the oven, uncovered.
- Bake another 30 minutes and serve.
For this recipe, I used a mandolin to cut the sweet potatoes. If you are cutting by hand, try to cut the potatoes evenly so they will bake evenly, as well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate.