Confession time, I simply cannot resist an easy old fashioned chocolate pound cake recipe. There. I’ve said it.
And when you see what happens when you combine chocolate cake with a classic pound cake into a Bundt pan, it’s seriously so good that you’ll cry tears of joy.
For Chocolate Lovers
The moist crumbs cling to your fork while the rich chocolate flavor erupts in your mouth in this chocolate lover’s recipe.
It’s one of the best chocolate pound cake recipes you’re ever going to find, and it’s so easy to make you may just wind up making one every day of the next week!
Chocolate Pound Cake (In A Bundt Pan)
There’s nothing better than moist chocolate pound cake.
To get a moist pound cake, you may have heard that it takes a pound each of flour, eggs, butter, and sugar to make. Hence the name.
And while a pound cake is usually baked in a loaf pan, you can also bake it in a Bundt pan.
Traditionally, pound cakes are dusted with powdered sugar, glazed, or even topped with frosting.
Being the glutton I am for all things chocolate, I went with chocolate frosting, which turns this into one decadent chocolate pound cake.
The next time a special occasion rolls around, like a birthday party, Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, or even just because it’s Saturday, you will have the perfect cake to make.
Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe Ingredients
- Softened butter
- White granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Liquid coffee
- All-purpose flour
- Dutch process cocoa
- Baking powder
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
This is a very easy recipe to make, and the results are an incredibly moist, dense texture that is chocolatey and delicious.
How To Make The Chocolate Cake
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, except the sugar.
- In another large bowl, add the softened butter and sugar, and cream.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and coffee to the sugar mixture and combine.
- Next, alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the bundt pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Start by adding the all-purpose flour to a medium bowl.
Add the Dutch process cocoa to the bowl.
Dutch process cocoa is an unsweetened type of cocoa powder. It creates a smoother and more mellow flavor. If you don’t have this type of cocoa powder, you can use unsweetened cocoa powder instead.
Add the baking powder and salt to the bowl and mix the ingredients.
Add the softened butter to a large bowl.
Next, add the sugar to the bowl with the butter and mix well.
Add the eggs and mix the ingredients.
Pour the vanilla extract into the bowl and mix well.
Pour the liquid coffee into the bowl and mix. For this recipe, I used coffee that I had brewed earlier in the day.
Instant coffee granules help you make the right liquid coffee amount that gives this chocolate pound cake more depth, or you can use some from your morning coffee.
Pour part of the buttermilk into the bowl.
Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk and mixing.
Buttermilk lends a special tang and adds moisture.
It’s absolutely worth buying for making this cake, but if you don’t have any, you can make it by combining one cup of milk and one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. I will give it a gentle tamp against the counter to help get out any bubbles.
Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Once the cake cools for about 20 minutes, I will place the cake stand on top of the pan and flip it over. It should come out easily.
You could alternatively use chocolate ganache, chocolate glaze, or chocolate chips. And, of course, a scoop of vanilla ice cream is always a dream come true on a decadent chocolate pound cake like this!
You can also add a few fresh berries right on top for a more summery flavor.
How To Store The Cake
You can store the cake in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap. It does not have to be refrigerated, but it will last a few days longer in the refrigerator.
Easy Old Fashioned Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
This delicious cake is a chocolate lover’s dream come true for dessert. It’s one of my favorite ways to show my love to others. It’s a great recipe for any occasion.
Of course, I’m happy to share with my family, though I do love savoring every rich and chocolatey bite of my slice. Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 3 cups white granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup liquid coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
2. Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and mix.
3. Next, add the softened butter to a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the sugar and mix well.
5. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and coffee to the sugar mixture and combine.
6. Next, alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk and mix until combined.
7. Pour the cake mixture into the bundt pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
8. Allow the cake to cool for about 20 minutes. Then, place the cake stand over the cake pan and gently flip it over.
9. Frost the cake and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is approximate.