Chocolate caramel brownies are one of the most decadent and luscious desserts out there.
The chocolatey brownie is crisp on the top with caramel and sweetened condensed milk ribbon running throughout creating a satisfying and flavorful treat.
A Mountain Of Chocolate
My husband used to joke about a place called chocolate mountain, and of course, the kids totally believed it.
If there was such a place, they’d have some of these caramel brownies there front and center.
The brownies are so fudgy and gooey and absolutely perfect.
I make a lot of dessert recipes for the blog and will eat some and give the rest away so I don’t end up eating them all. But, my youngest wanted me to keep the brownies.
So, we did, and…I am almost embarrassed to admit that I was a bit of a piggy with the homemade brownies and ate over half all on my own.
They. Are. So. Good. And that is an understatement.
Chocolate and caramel are dripping from this brownie and believe me, y’all will love it.
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Brownie Recipe?
- Butter, melted
- Vegetable oil
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sweetened condensed milk
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make The Easy Brownie Recipe?
- Add the melted butter, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, sift the flour, cocoa, and salt, add to the bowl, and combine.
- Add 3/4 of the chocolate chips to the batter and stir.
- Pour half of the batter into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish and spread to the edges.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the caramels and sweetened condensed milk and microwave in increments of 30 seconds, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the brownies.
- Spread the remaining brownie batter over the top of the caramel, and spread out as best you can.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
Step-By-Step Instructions For The Best Brownie Recipe
Pour the melted butter into a large bowl.
Add the sugar and brown sugar.
Add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs to the bowl and mix everything until combined.
Next, add the flour, unsweetened cocoa, and salt to a sifter and sift the ingredients.
Then, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
Add 3/4 of the chocolate chips to the brownie batter and stir until combined.
You will be saving 1/4 of the chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the batter.
Spread half of the brownie batter into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
I used some parchment paper in the dish to make it easier to take the brownies out, but it’s not necessary.
Next, unwrap all of the caramels and add them to a medium-sized bowl. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the bowl and microwave in increments of 30-seconds, stirring in between.
I think it took a total of about two minutes to melt the caramels. It does help to stir in between each 30-second interval.
It might take a little longer or a little less time, depending on your microwave.
Pour the caramel and sweetened condensed milk over the top of the brownie batter and spread it out.
It doesn’t have to go on top of the batter perfectly, just spread it out the best you can.
Spread the remainder of the brownie batter on top of the caramel mixture and top with the remainder of the chocolate chips.
Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
How To Tell If Brownies Are Done
I test the brownies with a cake tester. You can also use a thin knife to test the brownies.
If you’d like to have more fudgy brownies, then the 40 minutes of bake time should do the trick.
But, if you’d like cake-like brownies, you will need to cook them a little longer than 40 minutes.
Most of the time when you stick a cake tester in brownies, it will come out clean–and that’s more cake-like.
If you stick the cake tester in the brownies and it comes out completely covered in batter, you need to cook them more.
If the tester comes out with just a little bit of batter on it then they will be fudgier.
How To Cut Brownies
I cut the brownies a little big for the pictures, but they are very decadent, so you can cut them a little smaller and get about 36 brownies out of the batch.
The best way to cut brownies is to place them in the refrigerator and let them firm up a little.
Once they firm up, you can cut them with a sharp knife and get a clean cut.
But, if you’re not too worried about getting a clean cut, you can cut them as small or as big as you’d like.
(Or, you can be like us and grab a fork and start eating as soon as they come out of the oven, messy and all).
I used parchment paper in the baking dish and once the brownies cooled, I was able to lift the brownies out and cut them up easily.
These are perfect for taking to an office party, a potluck, or sharing with the office staff and teachers at the kid’s school. They will love you for it.
More decadent desserts:
- Easy buckeye brownies with sweetened condensed milk are another wonderful treat. They are perfect for taking to church potlucks, holiday parties, or the kid’s school.
- Peanut butter swirl brownies are another recipe for peanut butter lovers. It’s made with lots of creamy peanut butter and plenty of chocolate.
- Cake mix cookie bars are similar to brownies, but are made with cake mix and are great to make for quick desserts.
- I get a lot of recipe requests for strawberry chess squares. They are a fresh and flavorful dessert.
- This brown butter blondie recipe creates a deep and flavor-filled dessert with browned butter, pecans, and chocolate chips.
Can You Freeze Brownies?
Yes, you can freeze brownies, but I would make sure you wrap them in some plastic wrap and place them inside a freezer-safe baggie that seals well, or some sort of freezer-safe container.
When you go to thaw them out, just place them on the counter where they can thaw easily.
You can freeze them for up to three months.
How Long Do Brownies Last?
If you store them in an airtight container, the brownies will be fine for about three to four days on the counter.
Chocolate Caramel Brownies
Print out the chocolate caramel brownies recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is the best brownie recipe and I think y’all will love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dessert on Pinterest. If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too.
Chocolate Caramel Brownies
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- 11 oz. wrapped caramels
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Add the melted butter, brown and white sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, sift the flour, unsweetened cocoa, and salt together.
- Add the sifted ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour 3/4 of the chocolate chips into the batter and mix.
- Spread half of the brownie batter into the 9" x 13" dish and set aside.
- Unwrap all of the caramels, add them to a medium-sized microwave-safe dish, and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Microwave the caramel mixture in increments of 30-seconds, stirring in between until melted.
- Pour the melted caramel mixture over the top of the brownie mixture and spread it to the edges.
- Add the rest of the brownie mixture over the caramel layer and spread out (it's ok if the brownie mixture doesn't completely cover the caramel layer).
- Sprinkle the remainder of the chocolate chips on top and bake for about 40 minutes.
If you'd like cake-like brownies then you can cook them a little longer than the 40 minutes, but if you'd like to have more fudgy brownies, the cake tester will come out with a little bit of batter still on it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 46gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is approximate.
Delicious Turtle Brownies - Back To My Southern Roots
Tuesday 28th of September 2021
[…] There’s nothing better than the combination of pecans, chocolate, and caramel, all wrapped into one brownie. […]
Cream Cheese Brownies with Pumpkin #HalloweenTreatsWeek - Back To My Southern Roots
Friday 24th of September 2021
[…] share your comments below and share a picture of your brownies on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share […]
Brownie Mix Cookies - Back To My Southern Roots
Monday 8th of February 2021
[…] add the eggs and the vegetable oil to the bowl with the brownie […]
Pecan Praline Recipe - Back To My Southern Roots
Saturday 16th of January 2021
[…] Break them up and add to a batter of brownies […]
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies - Back To My Southern Roots
Thursday 10th of December 2020
[…] Brownies are always a safe bet when making desserts because almost everyone loves them. They are easy to make and turn out so sinfully delicious. […]