Insanely delicious cream cheese frosting is an easy and budget-friendly recipe that is the perfect complement for cake, cupcakes, pound cake, or even brownies.
This is an easy cream cheese frosting that only requires a few simple ingredients, including powdered sugar, butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and milk, for a rich and decadent treat to top your desserts.
The Best Cream Cheese Frosting
If you’re looking for some insanely delicious cream cheese frosting, look no more. This is the stuff.
We spent summers in Tennessee on my grandparent’s farm, and we were lucky enough to be blessed with a grandma that loved to cook.
She made angel food cake with cream cheese frosting.
Typically, she made us pies because, who wouldn’t want pie after every meal–including breakfast?
Ok, so she didn’t let us have pie after breakfast, but we tried.
Oh, and when she would get the pie out to cut a slice after dinner, it would mysteriously be half-eaten. Weird, I know.
So, back to the frosting.
When the church would have a potluck, or she would get a hankering to make us cake, she ended up making angel food cake with cream cheese frosting.
You can also add cocoa powder or other ingredients to create chocolate cream cheese frosting or something else.
It’s a pretty versatile frosting recipe and comes out delicious every time.
Options For Frosting
- Carrot cake cupcakes
- Your favorite cupcakes
- Pound cake
- Angel food cake
- Sheet cake
- Sugar cookies
- In between two graham crackers
- Whoopie pies
- Banana cake
- Double layer cake
- Pumpkin cake
- Red velvet cake
- Red velvet cupcakes
- So much more
Ingredients For The Classic Recipe
- Softened cream cheese
- Softened butter (salted or unsalted butter is fine)
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Milk (or heavy cream for a richer flavor)
Full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions at the bottom of the card.
How To Make Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add the butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Next, add the vanilla extract and milk and mix until combined.
- Finally, add the powdered sugar and mix until well blended.
- Spread on cakes and cupcakes.
You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or the whisk attachment for the recipe.
Make a double batch if you have a larger project.
The recipe creates a spreadable cream cheese frosting. But, there are occasions that you might want the recipe to be a little thinner or a little thicker.
When you add additional milk or powdered sugar, always start out with a small amount and work your way up from there to get the right consistency.
- For thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar.
- For thinner frosting, add more milk.
If you have leftover frosting, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
TIP: I used the box of regular cream cheese because it will come out thicker than if you use whipped.
You can use low-fat cream cheese for the recipe if you’d like to.
Most brands of cream cheese will work great for the recipe.
It’s super easy and takes just a few minutes to make.
More Desserts With The Best Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- Homemade chocolate cake recipe
- Pecan cinnamon roll recipe
- Easy pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting
- Pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting
- Carrot and walnut cake from The Preppy Kitchen
Let me know how your frosting turns out in the comments below. I’d love to hear what you topped with the frosting.
Cream cheese frosting is a delicious and easy way to top your desserts.
The recipe only requires a few simple ingredients, including powdered sugar, butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract, and milk for a rich and decadent treat.
Whether you’re making cake, cupcakes, or brownies, this frosting will take your dessert game up a notch.
So what are you waiting for? Get the recipe now!
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk (more if needed)
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the butter and cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix until well blended.
For thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar in small amounts.
For thinner frosting, add more milk in small amounts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 cups Serving Size: 1 tbsp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 53Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 28mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 0g