There’s also cheese, beans, and bold Mexican flavors from taco seasoning and enchilada sauce involved.
A Delicious Ground Beef Casserole
This delicious meal is one of the top requests I get from my husband and kids during the week. I’m all too happy to give in because it’s the kind of food that satisfies my soul too.
You’re going to love this classic Frito pie for sure!
What Is Frito Pie Casserole?
I guess it mostly resembled chili beans and meat with a Mexican twist, plenty of cheese, and crunchy Fritos added into the mix.
If you’ve ever heard of walking tacos, Frito pie casserole is basically the same thing, but with one difference, walking tacos are meant to be eaten right out of the bag of Fritos while Frito pie casserole is served up on plates.
How to Make My Easy Frito Pie Recipe
There really is very little work to make this easy Frito pie recipe.
If you can’t find refried beans or don’t like the texture, you can use pinto beans instead.
Also, I wholeheartedly recommend buying more Fritos than you need.
I wind up snacking on them while making this dish. They’re just so easy to munch, so make sure you have enough for the Frito pie too!
Ingredients For Frito Pie With Ground Beef
- Ground beef
- Diced white onions
- Taco seasoning
- Rotel with tomatoes and green chilies
- Refried beans
- Enchilada sauce
- Shredded Mexican cheese
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Frito Pie
- Add the ground beef and onions to a large skillet and cook. Drain the grease.
- Next, add the taco seasoning and mix.
- Add the Rotel, refried beans, and enchilada sauce to the pan and mix well.
- Spread the meat mixture into the casserole dish and spread it out.
- Top with cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cheese is melted.
- After the cheese melts, top with Fritos and cook for 10 more minutes.
Start by adding the ground beef to a saucepan and cooking it on medium heat.
Add the onions to the saucepan. Cook until the ground beef is done, and drain the grease.
Add the taco seasoning to the saucepan and mix well.
Any taco seasoning will do.
Pour the enchilada sauce into the pan.
Next, add the can of Rotel to the pan.
Finally, add the refried beans to the saucepan and mix all of the ingredients together.
Sprinkle the Mexican cheese on top and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the dinner is hot.
Top with Fritos and cook for another 10 minutes and serve.
The Fritos will be nice and toasty!
- Chili powder for some medium heat.
- Kidney beans, pinto beans, or black beans
- Diced bell peppers
- Diced jalapeños
I also recommend choosing your favorite toppings to set out, much like the favorite taco toppings you’d use on taco night.
Some suggestions would be sour cream, green onions, diced red onions, black olives, pico de gallo, and cheddar cheese.
Guacamole fans may also enjoy a bit of that added on or even diced avocados, and if you like spiciness, feel free to pull out the hot sauce and shake some on your plate.
More Delicious Dinners
- Slow cooker taco chicken recipe
- Easy ground beef pot pie
- Sloppy Joe tater tot casserole with ground beef
- Ranch style beans from Taste of Home
How To Store The Frito Taco Pie
You can store any leftovers in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
How To Make The Best Frito Pie With Ground Beef
For a great weeknight meal that is the essence of the ultimate comfort food, this is one of the best casserole recipes to keep handy.
Everyone begs for this delicious comfort food recipe. Maybe it’s the Frito corn chips, or maybe it’s the cheesy, meaty, hearty casserole itself.
Either way, if you want to take your taste buds to the south for dinner, this is the best way to do it!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1-ounce package of taco seasoning
- 10-ounce can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 16-ounce can of refried beans
- 10-ounce can of enchilada sauce
- 1-2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese
- 9.25-ounce bag of Fritos Corn Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish.
- Cook meat and onions and drain grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and mix well.
- Next, add the Rotel, refried beans, and enchilada sauce and mix well.
- Spread the meat mixture into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the meat mixture and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Add the bag of Fritos to the top of the casserole dish and bake another 10 minutes and serve.
You can add two cups of cheese if you love cheese, or stick to one cup. Either way will work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 895Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 1572mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 58g
Nutrition is approximate.