Soft and easy homemade dinner rolls are made with simple ingredients and are budget-friendly.
The delicious dinner rolls are perfect as a side dish, for use in sliders, or you can even brush the tops with butter, fresh herbs, and parmesan cheese.
An Easy Roll Recipe
The rolls are perfect for the holiday table including the Thanksgiving dinner table and Christmas, as well as potlucks, parties, or special occasions.
I tend to get nervous about recipes that involve yeast and waiting for things to rise.
But, these bread rolls are really easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for them to rise.
You can make the rolls the day before you need them, or even make them one month ahead and freeze them. It’s a recipe that will make your life a lot easier in the long run.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Homemade Yeast Rolls?
- Active dry yeast
- All-purpose flour
- Warm water
Full printable recipe with ingredients and measurements listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make The Best Homemade Dinner Rolls?
- Add the active dry yeast to a large mixing bowl and pour the warm water over it.
- Next, add the egg, melted butter, and sugar and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour and salt while mixing. Mix for several minutes. It will be sticky dough at this point.
- Place the ball of dough on a floured surface and knead several times. Place the dough back in a greased bowl and cover it with a towel. Allow the dough to rise for 1 to 1-1/2 hours at room temperature.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a floured surface. Cut the dough into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Stretch and tuck the dough underneath the ball and place each piece of dough into a square baking pan.
- Allow the dough to rise again for one hour.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Brush melted butter over the top.
How To Make Easy Homemade Rolls
Start by adding the active dry yeast to a bowl.
I used my large Kitchenaid Mixer with a dough hook attachment, but you can use a hand mixer or a wooden spoon. It might require a little bit more elbow grease, but it will work.
Next, pour the warm water into the bowl with the yeast.
Add the egg and melted butter to the bowl.
Add the sugar to the yeast mixture and stir everything together.
I stirred with a fork for a minute before adding the flour.
Start adding the salt. Then add the flour a little bit at a time. Keep mixing on low speed for about five minutes.
The dough will be a little bit sticky and that is ok. If the dough is still pretty sticky, you can add a teaspoon of flour and mix.
Take the dough out of the mixer bowl and sprinkle some flour down on the counter.
Knead the dough a few times and place it into an oiled bowl and cover it with a paper towel or one of your kitchen towels and set it aside.
You can either use some non-stick spray or some olive oil and grease the bottom and sides of the bowl so the dough doesn’t stick to it.
Allow the dough to rise for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. It will be about as large as the bowl.
Take the dough out of the bowl and cut into sixteen pieces and roll each piece of dough into a ball.
Let it sit for five minutes and go back and tuck the dough under the bottom of the ball so it creates a more round shape.
Place dough balls into a greased square baker, cover with a paper towel or kitchen towel, and allow it to rise again for one hour.
Total rise time – 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
The dough will rise and sort of squish together. The picture above is what you’re looking for.
Bake the dough for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Once the homemade rolls recipe is done baking, take it out of the oven and spread some melted butter on top.
After you bake the dinner rolls, make some mouthwatering sheet pan cheeseburger sliders from Mandy over at South Your Mouth.
Can I Freeze The Bread Dough Before Baking?
Yes, you can shape the rolls, seal them in a freezer-safe container and bake them when you’re ready. I would allow them to rise a little before adding to the freezer.
Just be sure to give yourself enough time to allow them to thaw. The rolls will be ready to bake, after taking them out of the freezer, in about two to three hours.
Can I Make The Soft Dinner Rolls One Day Ahead?
Yes, you can make the dough, roll it, and refrigerate for one day. Just allow the rolls to warm up a little before adding them to the oven to bake.
How Do I Store The Rolls?
After the rolls cool off, you can store them in an airtight container and keep them on the counter or in the refrigerator.
Other Delicious Easy Recipes:
- Mouthwatering Copycat Chick-Fil-A Coleslaw will go great with rolls.
- There’s nothing better than baked chicken and ranch to eat with hot rolls.
- Panko chicken, mashed potatoes, and some hot buttered homemade rolls will go perfectly together.
- Slow cooker pot roast is definitely calling for rolls on the side.
- 5-Ingredient ground beef casserole is the perfect dinner for adding rolls.
Homemade Easy Dinner Rolls
Check out the buttery dinner rolls recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking!
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your rolls on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted + 1 Tablespoon for brushing the top of the rolls
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Add the active dry yeast and warm water to a large bowl.
- Next, add the sugar, egg, and melted butter and mix well.
- Slowly add the salt and flour a little bit at a time. Mix for about five minutes. If you have a mixer with a hook, use the hook in this step.
- Sprinkle some flour on the counter and knead the dough for about 30 seconds.
- Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a greased bowl and cover with a paper towel or kitchen towel and allow it to rise for 1-1/2 hours.
- Take the dough and cut it into 16 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and place all of the rolls into a greased 9" x 9" square baking dish.
- Allow the rolls to rise again for one hour.
- Bake at 350-degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
When shaping each roll, allow them to sit for five minutes after initially shaping them. Go back and tuck the dough underneath the ball to help it have a round shape. Place it back in the baking dish and allow it to rise for one hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.