This is an easy copycat Chick-Fil-A coleslaw recipe that is the authentic real thing, simply because it came straight from the source.
If you are missing the original recipe for Chick-Fil-A coleslaw, then you’ve come to the right place.
Classic Chick-Fil-A Coleslaw
It’s not only one of the original menu items, it is absolutely delicious, and it’s a great dish to make.
The World’s Best Coleslaw
Much to the chagrin of folks around the country, Chick-Fil-A discontinued their coleslaw several years ago because they wanted to change a few things on the menu and offer more variety, and everyone was up in arms over losing the great side dish.
However, as usual, Chick-Fil-A worked hard to make everyone happy in the transition.
The good news is that they shared the recipe with us because it really is the best coleslaw recipe out there. And, who wants to go without their favorite easy side dish?
And, if this is your first time eating the famous side item, you might have a new favorite after giving this a try.
Copycat Coleslaw Ingredients
Although, the recipe doesn’t call for too many ingredients, it does include your typical coleslaw additions including vinegar, dry mustard, and of course a little bit of sugar to give it a sweet flavor.
What do I need to make the Chick-Fil-A Coleslaw?
- White sugar
- white vinegar
- Dry mustard
- Shredded cabbage
- Shredded carrots
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card. Nutritional information is below.
How Do I Make The Cole Slaw Recipe?
- Add the sugar, white vinegar, salt, dry mustard, and mayonnaise to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, add the finely chopped cabbage and carrots and stir until covered with the liquid cole slaw mix.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- When you take it out of the refrigerator, stir it a few times and serve.
Firstly, pour the sugar into a large mixing bowl. You’re going to need a large bowl, because 20-ounces of cabbage is quite a bit.
The sugar adds just a small touch of sweetness to the recipes.
If you don’t want as much classic coleslaw, you can cut the recipe in half.
Secondly, add the white vinegar to the bowl with the sugar.
Can I substitute white vinegar for apple cider vinegar in a recipe?
Yes, if you’re wanting to add something a little bit more nutritious, you can add apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. The apple cider vinegar will be a tad fruitier.
You will use the same amount of apple cider vinegar as you would white vinegar.
Thirdly, add the dry mustard and salt to the bowl. The mustard and salt are really going to help bring out the flavors in the coleslaw.
Fourthly, pour the mayonnaise into the bowl and stir everything until it is fully combined, making sure the sugar pretty much dissolves.
Now, add the shredded cabbage to the bowl.
The recipe calls for 20-ounces, so I bought two bags and added them together, and I had some extra, so tune in below and I’ll tell you how you can use it.
Shredding the Cabbage
I bought pre-cut bagged coleslaw mix because it just makes life easier to have it, and it tastes just as great.
You can buy the precut angel hair coleslaw, or the tri-color coleslaw in the bag, which is what I chose, because I like a little bit more color in the bowl.
The tri-color coleslaw came from the Wal-Mart grocery store and it contains red cabbage, carrots, and green cabbage.
You can also buy a head of cabbage and cut it up. If you’re going to be cutting cabbage for coleslaw, you’ll need to cut it up enough to create small shredded pieces.
If you don’t want to do it all by hand, I have found the best food processor for making coleslaw is the Cuisinart – I will post the link below.
I bought a small one just for tasks like this one and it also works well for shredding the carrots.
I used the food processor to cut up my store-bought shredded cabbage even more because I like the small pieces, and coleslaw tends to have smaller pieces.
Once you’ve added the shredded cabbage, add the shredded carrots to the bowl.
Finally, stir everything together and make sure that the cabbage and carrots are fully covered by the mayonnaise mixture.
Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and place the coleslaw into the refrigerator. Refrigeration time is at least two hours to let everything blend together.
After two hours, you can take the coleslaw out of the refrigerator and serve. Be sure to stir it again before serving, because the juices will settle to the bottom of the bowl.
This is such a great recipe and I hope you love it. If you do, leave a comment below and let me know what you think.
And, if you get a minute, I’d love it if you shared it on social media. Thanks!
Bagged Coleslaw Uses
If you have any cabbage remaining from the bags, you can use it for quite a few things:
- Toss it in your salad with the rest of your greens for a little more flavor and color.
- Add it to the skillet with some olive oil and sauté it for a side dish with a steak dinner.
- Throw it into your favorite soup or stew and give it some extra flavor.
- Grab the recipe for sauerkraut and make some to eat with your next meal.
- Create another coleslaw, but with apples, celery, and some toasted nuts for a crunchy and healthy dish.
- Use the coleslaw on top of tacos instead of lettuce.
- Put a little bit on top of your barbecue sandwich.
- If you’re like my son, you can just eat it right out of the bag.
Can you freeze cole slaw dressing?
You can freeze coleslaw dressing, but the mayonnaise tends to separate and become runny, so be prepared for a little bit more of a runny recipe when you take it out of the freezer. And make sure you place the coleslaw into an airtight container before adding it to the freezer.
How long can you keep homemade coleslaw in the fridge?
Chick-Fil-A Coleslaw can be kept in the refrigerator for about three to five days, but after that it will start to go bad, so you want to eat it before then; however, chances are that you’ll eat it up fast because I think y’all will love the flavor of this coleslaw.
Carbohydrates in coleslaw
One half cup of coleslaw has about 10 carbs, so you can’t eat this on the Keto diet, but every bite is worth those carbs, I promise.
How much potassium in coleslaw?
Every recipe is going to be a little bit different, but if you are eating about half a cup of coleslaw, you’ll get about 123 mg of potassium. Potassium has a lot of health benefits, so this is a delicious way to get some.
What do you eat with coleslaw?
- Barbecue is a great main dish with coleslaw, including Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Chicken.
- If you love pork sandwiches, give this farmhouse slow cooker pulled pork sandwich a try from Jennifer over at Plowing Through Life.
- Baked buttermilk chicken strips are always a good recipe.
- Corn fritters are a fun dish to have on the side.
- You can’t go wrong with Jiffy cornbread with creamed corn or moist Jiffy cornbread.
- Slow cooker BBQ beef is another great sandwich that is easy to make.
- Grab a chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A along with some waffle fries.
- Homemade meatloaf is always a great dish to serve with coleslaw.
- You almost can’t eat coleslaw without some deviled eggs on the side. Here’s a classic and super simple deviled eggs recipe.
- Baked beans and weenies are always welcome at the picnic table.
- Hush puppies are a great along with coleslaw.
- And, don’t forget your tall glass of lemonade.
All of these dishes are perfect for summer cookouts, summer BBQs, holidays, church potlucks, office parties, or for dinner.
It’s a family favorite and one that has stood the test of time.
My husband even put it on top of his dinner salad and loved it.
Easy Copycat Chick-Fil-A Coleslaw Recipe
Check out Chick-Fil-A’s coleslaw recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start mixing! I love this easy recipe and I think you’ll love this one, too. It was very popular here at home!
Then, share your comments below and share a picture on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 20 oz. finely shredded coleslaw
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- Add the sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, and salt to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, add the mayonnaise to the bowl and mix.
- Pour the shredded cabbage and carrots into the bowl and mix until everything is covered.
- Place the creamy coleslaw in the refrigerator, with some plastic wrap on top, for at least two hours.
- Once you remove it from the refrigerator stir it a couple of times. Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
Nutrition is approximate.