Mud Hen Bars are a delicious cookie bar recipe with marshmallows and chocolate chips. The dessert bar recipe is simple to make and combines a chewy bottom with a crunchy top layer for the perfect treat.
I searched high and low for the origin of these ooey gooey bars. Who came up with the name? How did they come up with it? I really couldn’t find much. All we know for sure is that mud hen bars are delicious.
Things You’ll Need to Make the Chocolate and Marshmallow Cookie Bars:
- Hand mixer
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Light brown sugar
- Large bowl
- 13″ x 9″ casserole dish
- Non-stick spray or butter for greasing the pan
There are several ways to make the chocolate chip bars including the recipe I am sharing today. You can also make the mud hen bars with a brownie bottom, or even gluten-free bars.
How do you make mud hen bars?
- Grease the casserole dish.
- Mix the softened butter and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and cream together.
- Next, add the vanilla, two egg yolks, and one whole egg and mix into the sugar mixture. Save the egg whites for the top layer.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until well blended.
- Press the cookie dough into the greased 13″ x 9″ pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and marshmallows on the top.
- Finally, add the egg whites to another bowl and beat with the hand mixer until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Add the brown sugar and mix.
- Spread gently on top of the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes or until the top is brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
Recipe and printable instructions listed below
Start by adding the softened butter to a bowl, and if you didn’t set the butter out to soften, you can put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds to help soften it a little.
Next, pour the sugar into the bowl with the butter.
Add the whole egg and two egg yolks and mix everything together. Be sure to save the two egg whites for the top of the dessert.
Next, you’re going to add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix everything together. This will create your cookie batter.
Take the batter and spread it out into the greased casserole dish. It will be a very thin batter, but it will rise when it cooks.
If you’re using a spatula to spread the cookie dough into the bowl, you can spray the spatula to keep the dough from sticking. If you’re using your hands, you can even spray a little non-stick spray on your hands.
Once you’ve spread the cookie dough, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the dough. You can even add a few more if you’re a big chocolate lover. Is too much chocolate a thing? Never!
Next, sprinkle the marshmallows. Chocolate chips and marshmallows always remind me of S’mores, which I love to eat any time of year.
Egg White and Brown Sugar Topping
Add the egg whites to a bowl. Make sure your bowl is clean and dry, otherwise the egg whites might not stiffen like they are supposed to (speaking from experience. More than once. You think I’d learn).
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Then add the light brown sugar to the egg whites.
Mix the egg whites and brown sugar together until blended. It only takes a few seconds to blend the two ingredients. Be sure not to over mix.
Spread the egg white and brown sugar mixture on top of the marshmallow and chocolate chips and bake for about 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Once the mud hen cookie bars bake, let them cool for a little while.
Mud Hen Bars
Tips and tricks for making mud hen bars:
- When you spread the cookie dough into the casserole dish, make sure you’ve greased the casserole dish so the cookie bars won’t stick.
- Spray the spatula with a little non-stick spray to help press the dough down without sticking.
- Make sure the bowl is clean and dry when adding egg whites. If there is even a drop of water it can affect your whites and they will not stiffen like they are supposed to.
- While baking, if the top begins to brown before the cookie has completed baking, turn the oven down about 25 degrees.
Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Chip Bars are the perfect recipe when you’re looking for a rich dessert for birthdays and holidays, or any time of year. The chocolate chip bars recipe is easy to whip up and makes a large pan for a crowd.Get The Recipe
Chocolate lasagna is a one-of-a-kind recipe. It’s made with instant chocolate pudding, Cool Whip, an Oreo and butter crust, and plenty of mini chocolate chips to top it off. The layered chocolate lasagna recipe is easy to make and everyone will fall in love with the no-bake dessert.Get The Recipe
Buttermilk Texas Sheet Cake with vanilla is a delicious dessert to make for a birthday party, church potluck, or any holiday. The rich buttercream frosting recipe is perfect with a vanilla flavoring. You are going to love this recipe. The hardest thing you’ll have to do while making this cake is decide if you want to sprinkle some pecans on top.Get The Recipe
Y’all are gonna love this Hello Dolly Bars recipe with peanut butter chips. This is one of my favorite chocolate dessert recipes. Hello Dolly bars are one of my favorite treats, with peanut butter and chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, pecans, and coconut.Get The Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat to 350-degrees. Grease a 13" x 9" casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the softened butter and sugar and cream together.
- Next, add the two egg yolks, one whole egg, and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until well blended.
- Press the cookie dough into the greased pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows on top.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the two egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the brown sugar and mix until blended.
- Gently spread on top of the chips and marshmallows.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. The top will be a golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- KitchenAid 606354-KHM512HT Hot Sauce 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer
- Duralex 100009 Made In France Lys Stackable 9-Piece Bowl Set
- Pampered Chef Mix N Scraper #1657
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 280 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 180mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 33g Protein: 3g
Check out more delicious recipes at: