Although we’re in Florida, it does get a little chilly on occasion, and an easy wintry black bean and ham soup will keep you warm on those chilly nights. If you’re looking for a way to use up some of those holiday leftovers, making a soup is the perfect way to do it. We had a ton of leftover ham from Christmas, and there’s nothing better than putting it into a soup with some hearty beans. Wintry Black Bean and Ham Soup is so easy to make. You can either soak the beans overnight and throw it all into the slow cooker the next day, or boil your beans and throw them in the same day. I’m not always the best planner, so I rinsed and boiled my beans and gave them a bit of a head start and then threw them into the slow cooker. You can cook this meal for under $10 The recipe and instructions are found below. Step 1. If you decide to cook the beans before you put them in the slow cooker, combine them with water and bring them to a boil. Let them simmer for a few minutes, and then remove them from the heat and let them sit for about an hour. Step 2. Drain and rinse the beans. Add them to the slow cooker and add more water, carrots, onions, ham, salt, and pepper. (Celery is optional). By the way, I love my slow cooker. It’s nice to throw in some ingredients and come back a few hours later to a finished meal. If you’re short on time, don’t forget about your slow cooker. Seriously, I love mine. Step 3. Cook for 3 hours on medium, or 5 hours on low. If you have the time, take the longer route. I tend to think that things come out a little more tender when you cook them longer. Plus, all the flavors get to hang out together and make it all blend and taste delish. Once it cooks, it’s ready to eat! Let me know what you think in the comments. If you added something else, be sure to share!
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 cups water, divided
- Handful of carrots, sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pepper
- Handful of celery, chopped (optional)
- Combine beans and 8 cups of water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat.
- Turn down heat and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour (covered).
- Drain water and rinse beans in a colander.
- Add beans to slow cooker and add 8 cups of water.
- Add chopped onion, ham, carrots, salt, and pepper. (Add celery if desired).
- Cook on low for 5 hours, or medium for 3 hours.
Back To My Southern Roots - How Do You Make Good Homemade Chili?
Monday 4th of January 2021
[…] Black Bean and Ham Soup […]
What Can I Do To Make Jiffy Cornbread More Moist? - Back To My Southern Roots
Tuesday 8th of December 2020
[…] Wintry Black Bean and Ham Soup […]