Easy Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cake is a combination of creamy pudding and a moist, fluffy cake topped with chocolate chips.
It’s a delectable dessert recipe that adds the flavor of chocolate with a cooked crunch of brown sugar.
Chocolate Cake With Pudding Mix And Chocolate Chips
Adding pudding to a cake mix always adds a sweet flavor to the cake and helps keep it moist.
And you know, I am all about easy recipes, and this is a prime example of a simple, no-fuss recipe.
It feeds a lot of people and, if you have company coming over and need to make something, this is perfect.
My grandmother made a ton of cakes. Baking was her thing. She never made this cake, but I think she would have really liked it.
She was famous for her pies, at least in my mind, but she could whip up the perfect cake in no time.
This recipe only has six simple ingredients, so it’s inexpensive, too.
My friend, Debby, over at Southern Home Express has a delicious 3-ingredient chocolate cake that is out-of-this-world.
What Ingredients Do I Need For This Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe?
- White cake mix
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Brown sugar
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
White cake mix – Boxed cake mixes are not always the best cakes, but adding ingredients will help make them moister and more delicious.
Instant vanilla pudding – Pudding is one of those ingredients that always enhances the flavor of the cake. It’s also great in cookies, as well.
Brown sugar – Most recipes call for brown sugar in the cake, but in this recipe, we put it on the top of the cake, so when it bakes it’s sweet and crunchy on top.
Chocolate chips – We also add the chocolate chips to the top of the cake so they will bake right into the brown sugar. The combination of brown sugar and chocolate chips can’t be beaten.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cake
Add the cake mix and the instant pudding mix to a medium-sized bowl.
Add the milk and the eggs…
I love that one little droplet of milk starts to turn the vanilla pudding yellow.
Once you’ve given everything a stir and it looks smooth, pour it into the greased cake pan. I used a 13″ x 9″ pan, and you will need one that big.
Next, sprinkle the brown sugar on the top. Spread it out as evenly as possible. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
Finally, sprinkle the semi-sweet chocolate chips all over the top. They will rest nicely in the brown sugar lumps.
Bake it for about 30 minutes. You can test it with a knife or cake tester in the center. If it comes out clean it’s done. If not, stick it back in for just a few more minutes.
By this time, your house is going to smell amazing. It’s a wonderful, comforting smell. And look at those chocolate chips, all warm and gooey, just begging for you to eat them.
Isn’t it gorgeous? I had to put up the photo of the entire cake because it was just so pretty.
The brown sugar melted into a crunchy sweet bite, with bits of melted chocolate. Yep, it’s delicious.
Other cakes you will love:
- Praline Pecan Banana Cake is a very dense and delicious cake.
- Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting is a wonderful homemade cake that is easy to make and always turns out tasty.
- Chocolate Syrup Cake is rich, decadent, and easy to make.
- Pound Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting is one of my favorite pound cakes because it’s so yummy and sweet.
- Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a fun cake for the holidays.
- Homemade Hot Fudge Pudding is a unique cake because it cooks up like a cake, but is filled with hot fudge. You won’t want to miss out on this recipe.
Chocolate Chip Cake with Brown Sugar
Check out the easy cake recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a great dessert that everyone will love.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your cake on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 16.25 oz. box of white cake mix
- 3.4 oz. pkg. instant vanilla pudding
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 10-12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- In a large bowl add the dry cake mix and dry instant vanilla pudding.
- Add the eggs and milk and mix until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 13″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 792Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 109gFiber: 9gSugar: 90gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is approximate.