This is the best tater tot casserole recipe out there. It’s easy to make, will feed the entire family, and everyone will love it. If you add veggies to the lineup, you’ve just about hit every food group in one dish.
Casseroles are easy to make and we make a lot of hamburger casseroles around here.
They are perfect for when we’re running around dropping off and picking up kids, as well as going to tutoring or music lessons.
You can make up the casserole ahead of time, add the tater tots right before cooking, and have a meal in less than an hour.
What do I need to make tater tot casserole?
- 9″ x 13″ casserole dish
- Ground beef
- 1 bag of tater tots
- Cream of chicken soup
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Garlic salt
- Large bowl
- Large spoon for mixing
- Non-stick spray
- Pinch of salt and pepper
How do I make the best tater tot casserole?
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to a saucepan and allow it to melt.
- Next, add the onions and cook until they are golden brown. Add the ground beef and cook until done. Drain the grease.
- Once drained, add the ground beef and onions to a large bowl.
- Next, add the salt, pepper, garlic salt, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, shredded cheddar cheese, and milk. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9″ x 13″ casserole dish.
- Top with the tater tots.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until the tater tots are golden brown.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe and printable instructions listed below
Begin by adding a tablespoon of butter to the skillet, on medium heat. Next, add the onions and cook until they are golden brown. Then, add the ground beef and cook until done.
Drain the grease off of the meat and transfer the meat to a large bowl. I used a super large bowl for this recipe so I wasn’t knocking stuff out of the side when mixing.
Add the salt, pepper, garlic salt, and the sour cream to the bowl.
Now, add the cream of chicken soup.
If you are like me and forget certain items at the store, here’s a great homemade recipe for condensed cream of chicken soup.
The shredded cheddar cheese is next.
Pour the milk into the bowl.
Mix the ingredients.
If you’d like to add vegetables to the dish, now is the time. One to two cups of frozen veggies will be plenty. We’ve added mixed veggies or just green peas to the dish for more nutritional value.
Pour the cheesy tater tot casserole into the dish and spread it out.
Top with the bag of tater tots. I pretty much had the perfect amount of tater tots from one bag to add to the top of the casserole dish.
Place the easy tater tot casserole into the oven and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the dish is bubbly and the tater tots are golden brown.
If you’d really like to have toasty tater tots, you can turn the oven to broil for the last five minutes.
This is one of my favorite dishes because it’s so simple to make and very flavorful. It’s a great dish for a crowd or teenagers. I have two teenage boys and we ate plenty and still had leftovers.
More dinner casseroles that you will love:
- 5-ingredient ground beef casserole is a great dish for any time of year. It’s perfect for large families or gatherings.
- I love anything with Ritz Crackers, and this chicken casserole with Ritz Crackers is a delicious meal.
- Chicken and biscuit casserole was a hit around here.
- Jiffy cheeseburger casserole is another easy meal to fix and tastes delicious.
Check out the cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great family meal and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your dish on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too!
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 - 10.5 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 - 28 oz. bag frozen tater tots
Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Add the butter to the skillet, on medium heat, and let it melt. Now, add the diced onions and cook until they are golden brown.
- Next, add the ground beef and cook until done. Drain the grease and add to a large bowl.
- Now, add the salt, pepper, garlic salt, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, shredded cheddar cheese, and milk. Stir well.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish and spread to the edges.
- Top with the entire bag of tater tots.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown.
To get extra crispy tater tots, turn the oven on broil for the last five minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 533 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 91mg Sodium: 1177mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 26g
Check out more recipes at: