Chocolate layer dessert with homemade whipped cream, a graham cracker crust, chocolate pudding, and cream cheese is a delicious recipe. The easy recipe is the perfect dish for a party, the holidays, or for dessert at home.
I love comfort food.
I’m thinking this might qualify for some of the best comfort food out there. I’m eating a piece as I’m writing this post and trust me, I’m feeling lots of comfort.
I made this yesterday and gave a piece to my husband after dinner. He thought it might actually be the best dessert he’s tasted. That’s a big statement, but I’m kinda feeling the same way.
Plus, it’s an easy dessert to make.
Recipe and printable instructions below
The original recipe for Chocolate Layer Dessert with Homemade Whipped Cream actually called for a flour and butter crust. That seemed kind of boring to me, so I thought graham crackers would do the trick.
After all, you can’t go wrong with butter and crushed graham crackers.
Crush a sleeve of crackers in a Ziplock bag. I got my graham crackers at Aldi’s and the sleeve comes with nine crackers. Eight will be enough, as well.
Melt the butter in the microwave. I go on and melt the butter in the casserole dish so I won’t dirty up another dish. Just make sure yours is microwave safe.
Once you melt the butter, add the graham crackers and mix it up. Press the butter-covered graham crackers into the bottom and bake at 350-degrees for about 10-12 minutes, or until the graham crackers begin to turn golden.
In a separate bowl, add the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Mix until the two are blended and creamy.
Add the whipped topping to the mixture and blend well. Spread over the cooled graham crackers.
In another bowl, add the instant chocolate pudding and milk. Stir with a whisk until the pudding is thick.
Spread the chocolate pudding on top of the cream cheese layer.
Next, add the whipped cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar to a medium-sized bowl and whip until peaks begin to form.
If you’ve never whipped cream before, it can take a couple of minutes to stiffen. I thought I had a bad batch, but it started to stiffen after a couple of minutes.
Spread the homemade whipped cream on top of the chocolate layer.
Chop up a Hershey bar and sprinkle it on top of the dessert.
Sprinkle the pecans on top, and you’re done!
Place the Chocolate Layer Dessert with Homemade Whipped Cream in the refrigerator. It will stiffen up a little as it cools.
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 sleeve graham crackers (crushed)
- 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 8 oz. container whipped topping (thawed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5.9 oz. pkg. instant pudding
- 2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1.55 oz Hershey candy bar (chopped)
- 1/3 cup pecans (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Use 9" x 9" casserole dish
- Melt the butter in the casserole dish. Add the crushed graham crackers to the butter. Mix and press into the bottom of the dish.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool.
- Mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar with a mixer. Add the whipped topping and blend in.
- Spread on top of the cooled graham crackers.
- Add the instant pudding mix and milk to a medium-sized bowl and mix well until pudding is thick.
- Spread over cream cheese mixture.
- Add the heavy whipping cream to a medium-sized bowl. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until peaks form.
- Spread over chocolate layer.
- Chop up Hershey bar and pecans.
- Sprinkle over dessert.
Check out more delicious recipes at: