This dessert is kind of like s’mores with benefits. You get the best of s’mores with chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows, with the added kick of vanilla pudding.
Years ago, we were on a vacation in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We rented this gorgeous cabin and built a fire out front in the fire pit. I bought Hershey bars, graham crackers, and marshmallows.
Believe it or not, that was the first time my husband had s’mores! Needless to say, he fell in love with them that night. The kids had them for the first time, and by the smears of chocolate all over their faces, they loved it, too!
I couldn’t imagine a life without the treat. It’s so fun to sit around the campfire roasting marshmallows and pressing them together with chocolate and graham crackers.
When I baked this tonight, the smell of cooked marshmallows gave me that feeling of comfort while sitting around the campfire with family.
Recipe and printable instructions at the bottom of the post.
Start by making the stove top vanilla pudding according to the directions. Set aside to cool.
Place the graham crackers in a baggie and crush them up. I used one sleeve of graham crackers, and that was plenty.
Next, place 1/3 of the graham crackers in the bottom of a casserole dish. I used a 7″ x 9″ dish. You can use a 9″ x 9″ pan, but you might need some more graham crackers.
Pour 1/2 of the vanilla pudding on top of the graham crackers.
Add another 1/3 of the graham cracker layer.
Add the one layer of chocolate. I used 3 candy bars, which is plenty. You can space them out a little. They will melt and spread.
Add the remainder of the vanilla pudding on top of the candy bars.
Finally, add the marshmallows on top. It’s like a little pillow heaven.
Broil the dessert for a few minutes. I would stand right next to the oven and check about every 30 seconds. They will burn SO FAST–I speak from experience! I have burned many a marshmallow in my day. If you even turn around to wash a dish, you might burn them.
This might be one of the richest desserts I’ve had in a long time. The s’mores chocolate pudding dessert is a full-flavored treat. You don’t need much on your plate, because it will fill you up fast!
- 3 - 1.55 oz. chocolate bars
- 1 - 4.6 oz. pkg. cook-and-serve vanilla pudding
- 3-1/4 cups milk (for pudding)
- 9 full-size crackers (1 sleeve) graham crackers (crushed)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Make the pudding according to the directions. Set aside to cool.
- Crush the graham crackers in a large bag.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the graham crackers on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding over the graham crackers.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the graham crackers over the pudding.
- Add the candy bars over the graham crackers.
- Pour the rest of the pudding over the candy bars.
- Sprinkle the remaining graham crackers over the pudding.
- Cover with marshmallows.
- Broil for a very short time, until marshmallow tops are golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.
Check out more delicious recipes at: