Easy Desperation Pie
Buttermilk pies are part of the desperation pies that stem from the depression era. People couldn’t get fresh fruit during certain times of the year, or certain ingredients and made these pies with what they had on hand instead.
Believe me, they are just as delicious as any pie I’ve eaten. And, this pie is honestly one of the easiest pies I’ve made yet.
You can read more about desperation pies at Taste of Home.
What Is Buttermilk Pie?
Buttermilk pie is a southern traditional pie that is similar to chess pie. It has a bit of a different consistency than pudding pies because it’s denser.
The pies are easy to make and only take a few minutes to whip up and get into the oven.
More Pie Recipes
- Coconut cream pie is a creamy, decadent pie that’s perfect for any occasion.
- Chocolate chess pie has a similar texture to buttermilk pie and is loaded with chocolate flavor.
- Lemon cream pie is a tart and tasty pie for the hot summer days.
- Sweetened condensed milk chocolate pie has been a hit on the blog. It’s creamy, smooth, and full of sweetened condensed milk. And, it doesn’t get much better than that.
- Pumpkin pie is the classic dessert that everyone loves around the holidays.
- Pecan pie is another dessert that is always served around Thanksgiving. It’s easy to make and turns out delicious every time.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Southern Buttermilk Pie?
- Butter, melted
- Vanilla extract
- Pie crust
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make Buttermilk Pie?
- Start by adding the flour and sugar to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Next, add the eggs to the bowl and mix well.
- Add the melted butter, vanilla extract, salt, and buttermilk and mix well.
- Pour the ingredients into a pie crust and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the pie to cool and set up for two hours before serving.
Add the sugar and the all-purpose flour to a large bowl. Whisk the two ingredients together.
Next, add the eggs and mix well.
Pour the melted butter into the bowl and mix.
Next, pour the vanilla extract into the bowl.
Add the buttermilk to the bowl and mix well.
Pour the ingredients into the pie crust.
I place the pie crust on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil just in case it gets bumped or cooks over the side. That way, you don’t have a huge mess in the oven or on your pan.
Bake the pie at 350-degrees for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Let the pie set up and cool for at least two hours before serving.
TIP: use a pie shield toward the end of the baking process. I would say get it on there when you have about 15 minutes left. I almost burnt the edges of my pie crust.
If you don’t have a pie shield, use some tin foil instead.
Around the holidays I will keep a container of Cool Whip, or the generic brand in the refrigerator.
Then, you can pull it out and dollop a little bit on top for a tasty dessert. You can even sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon or nutmeg on top for a holiday feel.
Buttermilk Pie Recipe Card
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a fun pie and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your pie on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 9-inch frozen pie crust
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with tin foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour and sugar.
- Next, add the eggs and mix.
- Add the melted butter, salt, vanilla extract, and buttermilk and mix well.
- Place the pie crust onto the cookie sheet and pour the ingredients into the crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the pie to set up and cool for two hours.
TIP: Add a pie shield the last 15 minutes of baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 634Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 114gFiber: 1gSugar: 102gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is approximate.