Even when your week is busy, you’ve got time to whip up a hearty meal that satisfies the whole family.
It’s the perfect comfort food with ground beef, Russet potatoes, creamy sauce, and loads of cheese to tie it all together.
Dinner Made With Simple Ingredients
I love it because it’s made with simple ingredients.
The Perfect Comfort Food Your Entire Family Will Ask You to Make Weekly!
If you’re looking for easy ground beef recipes that use hamburger meat, you’re in the right place. As much as I cook and as much as I love it, we all get into a rut too.
When you make the same things with ground beef all the time, it’s not that you don’t like them anymore. You just want something different yet familiar.
The comforting flavors in this recipe are a great way to break out of that dinner rut while using ingredients you’ve likely got in your kitchen right now.
Simply follow the recipe below, and you’ll be having an incredible dinner that fills everyone up.
Crock Pot recipes that are pure comfort food are my favorite, and since this is so easy to make, there’s no stress involved. You can replace the lean ground beef with ground turkey if you prefer. It will still be the perfect dish!
Ingredients For Crock Pot Ground Beef And Potato Casserole
- Ground beef
- Minced garlic
- Minced onion seasoning
- Sliced Russet potatoes
- Black pepper
- Condensed cream of chicken soup
- Condensed cream of cheddar cheese soup
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Heavy cream (or milk)
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
This simple recipe is one I make often because it always creates a delicious meal.
Don’t forget to save some of the cheese to put on top. You can also add chopped green onions for contrast when serving.
How to Make This Delicious Ground Beef Casserole
- Cook the ground beef, garlic, and onion seasoning in a skillet and drain the grease.
- Peel and slice potatoes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef mixture, salt, pepper, cream of chicken, and cream of cheese soup and stir until combined.
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and layer the potatoes first, followed by the ground beef mixture.
- Next, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top and layer two to three more times, ending with cheese on top.
- Pour heavy cream (or milk) over the ingredients.
- Place the lid on top of the Crock Pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
Next, add the cooked ground beef to a heat-safe bowl and add the cream of chicken and cream of cheese soup. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top and mix well.
Place some of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker.
I cut the potatoes about 1/4″ thick with a mandolin.
Spoon some of the ground beef mixture over the potatoes.
Sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese on top and repeat two to three more times.
After several layers, finish with shredded cheese on top.
Pour the heavy cream on top of the ingredients.
If you don’t have heavy cream, that is fine. You can use milk for the recipe. Heavy cream just adds some rich flavor to the meal.
Place the lid on top of the Crock Pot and cook for 7 to 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
The food will be done when the potatoes are soft.
One of the nice things about this casserole recipe is that you can change a few things to make it more low-fat, or add some different seasonings or soups for different flavors. Here are a few ideas.
- Ground turkey
- Lean ground beef
- Hash browns
- Skim milk
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Beef broth instead of milk.
- Sweet potatoes
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Bell pepper
- Onion powder or diced onions.
- Baby carrots
- Italian seasoning
- Worcestershire sauce
Side Dishes With Your Casserole
Need a side dish to go along? Here are a few ideas.
- Broccoli or broccoli cheese casserole.
- Green beans are a great option.
- You can also make a fresh green salad.
- Serve some dinner rolls.
- Make one of my cornbread recipes.
- Delicious, better than Dominoes garlic bread from Recipe Tin Eats.
- Homemade banana pudding for dessert.
- Pineapple upside-down cake to follow your dinner.
How To Store The Crock Pot Ground Beef Casserole
You can store the casserole in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator.
To reheat, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for at least two minutes or until the meal is hot all the way through.
The Best Crock Pot Ground Beef And Potato Casserole
Ground beef casserole is a delicious way to feed your family any night of the week, and it’s such an easy dinner recipe.
Easy dinner ideas like this are my ace in the hole, and I know it will be for you too.
Just use the printable recipe card below so you can keep it handy in your kitchen.
It’s one of my favorite recipes because it brings so much flavor with so few ingredients.
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon dried onion seasoning
- 5 large Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4" thick (or thinner)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 10.5 ounce can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 10.5 ounce can of condensed cream of cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of heavy cream (or milk)
- Cook the ground beef, minced garlic, and minced onion seasoning in a skillet. Once done, drain the grease.
- While the meat is cooking, peel and slice the potatoes.
- Place the cooked ground beef in a large heat-safe mixing bowl and add the two different soups, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Spray the Crock Pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of the Crock Pot with 1/3 or 1/4 of the potatoes.
- Spoon a portion of the meat mixture over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle a handful of the shredded cheese over the meat mixture.
- Repeat the layers two to three more times, ending with shredded cheese on top.
- Pour the heavy cream into the Crock Pot and place the lid on top.
- Cook the food for 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high or until the potatoes are soft.
You can use milk for this recipe if you don't want to use heavy cream.
There will not be a lot of liquid in the Crock Pot, but the potatoes will cook.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 903Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 216mgSodium: 1033mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 46g
Nutrition is approximate.
Hi there! I’m Julie Pollitt from ‘Back To My Southern Roots.’ My love for cooking started way back on my grandparents’ farm in Tennessee. Those sunny days, the smell of biscuits in the oven, and all the family fun really sparked my passion for cooking. On my blog, I share more than just recipes – they’re like stories from my life, full of Southern warmth and homey goodness. The best part? Whether you’re just starting out or you’re a kitchen pro, you’ll find my recipes super easy to whip up. So, come on, pull up a chair, and let’s make some delicious memories!