This shortbread cookie recipe is a buttery flavorful treat that only requires three ingredients.
With just a little bit of powdered sugar in the recipe list, the cookies are subtly sweet with a delicate flavor.
If you’re looking for something to make for friends and neighbors, this cookie is the perfect gift. And, you’ll have it made in no time.
The Classic Shortbread Cookie
The classic shortbread cookie was a hit here at the house. Sometimes we give the blog treats away and my son specifically asked to keep these.
Every once in a while he’d walk through the kitchen, grab one out of the bag, and keep on walking.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make The Shortbread Cookies?
- Powdered sugar
- All-purpose flour
How Do I Make The Shortbread Cookies?
- Mix the butter and the powdered sugar until fluffy and creamy.
- Next, add the all-purpose flour and mix (the dough will be very crumbly).
- Line an 8″ x 8″ pan with parchment paper, spray the paper with non-stick spray, and press the dough into the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Carefully lift the parchment paper and set it on a heat-safe surface. Gently cut the shortbread into squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).
Step-By-Step Instructions For How To Make the Shortbread
Start by adding the butter to a large bowl.
Next, add the powdered sugar and mix the two ingredients until it’s comes out fluffy and creamy.
Now, add the flour to the bowl and mix well.
The mixture is going to be super crumbly, so don’t worry if it seems like something is wrong.
Line an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with parchment paper, spray it with non-stick spray, and press the dough into the pan.
You can use a spatula to press the dough into the pan, or use your hands. It’s a little easier to use your hands.
It will make it easier to spray a little non-stick spray onto your fingertips so the batter doesn’t keep sticking to your hand.
The reason you’re lining the dish with parchment paper is so that you can easily take it out when the shortbread finishes baking.
You’ll want to cut the cookies before they cool, because they are crumbly and tend to break easily. They are a little less brittle when they are still warm.
Bake the shortbread for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown.
Lift the shortbread out of the pan and place it on something that can handle heat and cut into squares.
You can sprinkle powdered sugar on top for extra sweetness, and it looks pretty.
If you plan to carry the cookies to a friend’s house or a party, just be aware that they will break easily–that’s the nature of shortbread.
I am always on the lookout for the perfect cookie to win the cookie exchange parties, and this is a good addition.
They are the perfect Christmas shortbread cookies!
Plus, you can take it to the kids school, potlucks, or any party. (The teachers at the school are always happy to see treats coming their way–they will love you forever).
Other tasty dessert recipes:
- Quick and easy homemade fudge is always good around the holidays (well, who am I kidding–it’s good all the time).
- Chewy sugar cookies are a wonderful treat and don’t need to be refrigerated like most sugar cookie recipes.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter fudge is not only super easy to make, but incredibly rich and decadent.
- Snickerdoodles are a classic holiday cookie that are soft and chewy with tons of flavor.
- Cake mix cookie bars only require a few ingredients for a flavorful treat.
Shortbread Cookie Recipe Card
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a great dessert and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your shortbread on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Extra powdered sugar for sprinkling on top after they bake (optional)
- Line an 8" x 8" baking dish with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- Preheat the oven to 325-degrees.
- Add the butter and powdered sugar to a large bowl and mix until fluffy.
- Next, add the flour and mix well. (The mixture will be very crumbly).
- Press the crumbly dough into the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown.
- Lift the parchment paper out of the pan and place on a heat-safe surface and cut the cookies into squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.