Easy classic meatloaf without breadcrumbs is a low carb recipe that everyone will love. The dinner makes a moist meatloaf that is a comforting meal for the entire family.
With a few ingredients like Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, seasonings, and ground beef, you’ll have a meal that everyone will ask for again and again.
The Best Meatloaf Recipe
We eat a lot of meatloaf around here, and we like to try new ways to make it so it has a bit of a different flavor.
This is a new recipe for us and we all really enjoyed it. We were skeptical at first because it didn’t have breadcrumbs and that’s how we usually eat it, but the whole family loved it. And, it’s a very flavorful meatloaf.
The best part of this easy meatloaf recipe is that it doesn’t contain breadcrumbs, so you’re getting a low carb alternative to the basic meatloaf recipe. And, it’s gluten-free.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Meal Prep?
The recipe calls for a few simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry.
- Ground beef
- Eggs (egg yolks and whites)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper
- Garlic salt
- Diced onions
- Parsley flakes
- Brown sugar (optional)
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card. Nutritional information is below.
Other favorite optional ingredients:
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Diced green pepper
- Diced red pepper
- Lipton onion soup mix
- Minced garlic
Give these delicious side dishes a try with meatloaf.
How Do I Make The Basic Meatloaf Recipe?
- Heat the oven up to 425-degrees and place your loaf pan into the oven while you prepare the meat loaf.
- Add the ground beef to a large bowl.
- Next, add the eggs, slightly beaten, to the bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic salt, parsley flakes, Worcestershire sauce, diced onions, and ketchup to the bowl and mix well.
- Take the loaf pan out of the oven, and spray with some olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Gently press the meat into the pan and press it against the side, creating a flat top. (Be careful as the pan will be hot. I used a wooden spoon).
- Place the meatloaf in the oven and bake uncovered for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to 375-degrees.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Take the meatloaf out of the oven and mix the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar, and spread over the top.
- Return the meatloaf to the oven and bake for another 45 minutes uncovered.
Have you tried meatloaf with Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? It’s delish!
Before getting started on the meatloaf, preheat the oven to 425-degrees and place the loaf pan into the oven to heat up while you get the meal ready.
Start the classic dish by adding the ground beef to a large bowl.
I used 90/10 ground beef for this recipe because you don’t want to end up with too much grease.
And, you’re saving some calories by eating lean ground beef. Win-win!
A little bit of grease is fine because it will help keep the meatloaf moist.
Next, add three eggs, slightly beaten, to the bowl.
The eggs are going to help bind the meatloaf together. Since you don’t have the breadcrumbs to bind it together, the eggs will do the work.
Next, add the salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and parsley flakes to the bowl.
If you decide to add any of those items, add them before mixing the ingredients together.
Pour the Worcestershire sauce into the bowl.
Finally, add the ketchup and diced onions. Mix everything together well.
I used my hands to mix everything together because it really works the best.
Take the loaf pan out of the oven and spritz some olive oil or non-stick cooking spray around the inside and press the meat into the pan.
Be very careful, because it will be hot. I used a wooden spoon to press it down into the pan.
This is a trick I learned from Debby over at Southern Home Express. She said to press the meatloaf mixture into the hot pan to help it seal up the edges.
That will help keep the meatloaf from falling apart on the outer edges.
Place the loaf pan back into the oven and bake at 425-degrees for 15 minutes. Then, lower the temperature to 375-degrees and bake for 30-minutes.
If you’re worried about the grease or ketchup dripping over the side you can place a baking sheet underneath and cover it with some aluminum foil.
For this recipe, I used a stoneware pan that is 9-inches by 5-inches by 3-inches tall.
When the timer goes off, pull the meatloaf out of the oven.
Don’t be tempted to pour out any grease because that will help keep it moist.
In a small bowl combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.
Brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness to the meatloaf. But, it’s also optional. If you don’t like the added sweetness, you can leave it out.
Spread the remaining sauce over the top of the meatloaf and return to the oven for another 45-minutes.
It’s such a simple sauce, but it’s so tasty on the top.
It’s recommended to get your meat’s internal temperature to 160-degrees. You can test it with a digital or meat thermometer.
The meatloaf will be a tad crumbly, but it’s so flavorful.
Side Dishes That Go Well With The Classic Meatloaf Recipe:
- Mashed potato cakes are so good and they are easy to make.
- Cheesy potato casserole is a popular side dish on the blog and the kids love it.
- If you want to get in some more greens in your diet, try the Zucchini casserole.
- Jiffy cornbread hush puppies are a great addition to the table and are full of flavor.
- Homemade creamed corn is packed full of flavor and super easy to make.
Gluten-Free side dishes:
- Green beans and bacon are a great side dish with meatloaf.
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A coleslaw is the perfect addition to the meal. Your tastebuds are already watering, aren’t they?
- Fine-ground cornmeal cornbread from Debby over at Southern Home Express will add a lot of flavor to the table.
- Mashed potatoes are always a great fit with meatloaf.
- Loaded mashed potatoes are also a flavor-packed side dish.
- Twice baked potatoes are not only so rich in flavor, but they are super simple to make.
- The best deviled eggs recipe is easy to make and always turns out delicious.
Can meatloaf be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze meatloaf before cooking. You’ll want to mix all of the ingredients and press the meatloaf into a loaf shape and cover it with Saran Wrap and place it in a freezer-safe or airtight container.
When you’re ready to make the meatloaf, take it out of the freezer and place it into the refrigerator to thaw. It will take at least 24 hours to thaw enough to cook.
Remove the Saran Wrap and cook the meatloaf.
As a side note, if you thawed the meat on the counter, do not refreeze the meat, as it may not be safe because of bacteria.
Low Carb Comfort Food
Meatloaf is a family favorite and if you’re a fan of it and you want a low carb option, this is the best way to make it.
This is a moist and delicious recipe.
Easy Classic Meatloaf Without Bread Crumbs (Low Carb)
Check out the meatloaf without bread crumbs recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great meal that is a family favorite.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your meal on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425-degrees and place the loaf pan into the oven to heat.
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, eggs, 4 Tbsp. ketchup, 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic salt, parsley flakes, diced onions, and mix well with your hands.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven and spray with non-stick spray or olive oil and press the meatloaf mixture into the pan (be careful as it will be hot. I used a wooden spoon to press it down into the pan). Make sure to press the meat mixture against the sides as best as you can.
- Return the pan with the meatloaf to the oven and cook at 425-degrees for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 375-degrees and cook for 30 more minutes. Bake uncovered.
- In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, and 1 Tbsp. brown sugar and mix well.
- Spread over the meatloaf and cook for another 45 minutes at 375-degrees. Bake uncovered.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 228mgSodium: 1138mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 44g
Nutrition is approximate.