How do you make good homemade chili? Start with a classic chili recipe, add some flavorful seasonings, some of your favorite chili toppings, and you’ve got the perfect family favorite dish.
Easy Chili Recipe
This is a quick easy chili recipe that will satisfy the heartiest of appetites.
I am notorious for not planning meals ahead of time. I do my best to plan things out, but it doesn’t always happen.
So, the other night, I knew my husband would be home from work soon, and I didn’t have anything prepared.
I decided to have a look around the kitchen and came up with enough ingredients to make a homemade chili recipe.
Thankfully, I had some ground beef thawed out in the fridge, and enough cans of chili ingredients to make it happen.
The Best Homemade Chili Ingredient Checklist
- Ground beef
- Can of chili beans in chili sauce
- Can of tomato paste
- Italian seasonings
- Can of diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Onion (diced)
- Grape tomatoes (diced)
- Garlic (minced)
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
Full recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card. And it’s printable.
How To Make The Best Chili Recipe
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the tomato paste, water, seasonings, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef and drain the grease.
- Add the onion and grape tomatoes to the pan.
- Next, add the chili beans, tomato mixture, and minced garlic to the meat pan and stir.
- Simmer on low for one hour and serve.
Price Of The Meal
The recipe only costs about $10 to make.
I had two pounds of meat, but you really don’t need any more than one pound.
I’m feeding two teenagers, and they can eat a lot.
I cut up some grape tomatoes into bite-sized pieces, that I had bought to make a salad (and never did), and threw those into the pot.
I shop at Aldi’s quite often and have to buy more than one onion at a time.
I usually end up with more onion than I know what to do with, so this was a good way to use some of the extra onion.
Step-By-Step Instructions For The Best Beef Chili
Start by browning the ground beef and add the tomatoes and onions on medium heat.
I always keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge, as well.
I don’t have to take the time to cut up the garlic, and it stays fresh for a long time. It’s also pretty inexpensive at Aldi’s (love that place).
This recipe can also be made with lean ground beef or ground turkey if you’re wanting a lower fat version.
Add the garlic, tomato paste mixture (see recipe), diced tomatoes and chilies, and beans.
I usually put tomato sauce in my chili but didn’t have any in the cabinet. So, I used some tomato paste, added some water, Italian seasonings, and called it good.
I did have a can of chili beans, and diced tomatoes and chilies, so that came in handy, as well.
It was shaping up to be a great pot of chili for dinner!
You can also add some diced green bell pepper or red bell pepper to the pot if you’d like.
Mix everything together and let it simmer in a covered pot for one hour on low heat.
I let it simmer on low for about an hour before dishing it up. The hubs loved it and the kids ate it up and it’s such a simple recipe.
We had plenty left over, so I was able to freeze some for another night when I don’t plan well or time is cut short for making dinner.
The beauty of this homemade ground beef chili is that you don’t have to have the exact ingredients.
You can substitute ground beef with turkey, or add more beans, and more water, or maybe even less garlic. It’s totally up to you.
What kind of chili is your favorite? Let me know in the comments.
Have you ever tried chili with a side of bread and peanut butter? My husband loves bread with peanut butter on the side. Try it next time!
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green chilis
- Tortilla chips
- Dollop of sour cream
- Green peppers
- Ground red pepper
- Add the chili to bread bowls
Can The Chili Be Made Other Ways?
Yes, you can make the chili in a large Dutch oven or in the Crock Pot.
In both cases, you will need to cook the ground beef first, drain the grease, and add to the Dutch oven or Crock Pot. Then, add the other ingredients.
Slow cooker recipe cook time: Four hours on low.
Dutch oven recipe cook time: cook on low heat on the stovetop for one hour.
Cooking Classy has a great recipe for white chicken chili if you want to try something different next time.
Can I Use Different Types of Beans?
Yes, you can use kidney beans (light or dark), chili beans, navy beans, pinto beans, black beans, or even green beans.
Easy Homemade Thick Chili Recipe
What To Serve With Chili – Favorite Recipes
All of the recipes are very easy recipes and can be prepped in a short time. They are the perfect addition to game day, family gatherings, or potlucks.
- Moist Jiffy cornbread is the perfect side dish with chili. You can even cut it into smaller pieces and make cornbread croutons.
- Jiffy jalapeno cornbread is a great way to add some spiciness to the meal.
- You can add some chili on top of or next to these easy twice baked potatoes.
- Buttermilk cornbread in a cast iron skillet is another great addition to the table.
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is such a great recipe any day of the week and it’s one of those easy dinners you will want to make again and again.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your bowl of chili on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 to 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-16 ounces can chili beans in chili sauce
- 1-6 ounces can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1-10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, mix tomato paste, two cups of water, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Brown meat in a large saucepan and drain grease.
- Add chili beans, tomato paste mixture, can of diced tomatoes and chilies, grape tomatoes, onions, and minced garlic to the saucepan, and stir until blended.
- Turn down burner to low and simmer for about one hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 856mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 35g
Nutrition is approximate.