There’s nothing like a hearty chili on a busy weeknight.
Even better, a delicious chili that only takes 30 minutes to make from start to finish and is full of nourishing ingredients.
The Best Pumpkin Turkey Chili Recipe
You don’t have to wait for chili season to make the best pumpkin turkey chili either…make it an easy weeknight meal to stay on track while filling your bellies up with something that will surely satisfy.
The Versatility of Pumpkin in Recipes
Pumpkin puree isn’t just for pie. Many people are surprised to find it as a secret ingredient in this turkey chili. It adds a subtle sweetness and richness while giving you that indulgent chili texture.
If you have picky children, they won’t ever know they’re eating something nutritious, either.
It may sound like a strange combination of ingredients, but I promise they work beautifully together.
Pumpkin can be used for both sweet and savory recipes, and this is one savory recipe where it truly enchants your taste buds.
Pumpkin Ground Turkey Recipe Ingredients
You’ll need a few pantry staples and other ingredients to make this pumpkin turkey chili.
- Olive oil
- Ground turkey
- Yellow onion
- Yellow bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes (in cans with the juices)
- Canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling – make sure you check the can, or you will be in for an unpleasant surprise)!
- Tomato sauce
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
- Frozen corn
- Chili powder
- Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Preparing the Pumpkin Ground Turkey Dish
If you have a Dutch oven, this is an excellent time to put it to use. If not, a large stockpot will do.
- Start by getting the oil heated and brown your ground turkey on medium heat.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic to the turkey and cook until the peppers soften.
- When the peppers have softened, you’ll add the cans of diced tomatoes with juices, pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, corn, seasoning, and both types of beans, which should be drained and rinsed before adding them in.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let this simmer, giving it a stir here and there. You can thin out your ground turkey pumpkin chili with a little more chicken broth if you find the texture is too thick.
Once it’s ready, serve it up, and don’t forget your favorite toppings, such as cheddar cheese, crackers, sour cream, or some parsley on top.
Tips for Enhancing the Flavor of the Recipe
When you taste this easy pumpkin chili, you will love it. Though if you want it to have more of the taste of traditional chili, add a little cayenne pepper or chipotle chili powder for some spice.
You can also keep it mild and add in some fresh herbs. Cilantro or fresh parsley would be great!
And give other ingredients a try to add some variety to the bowl:
- Green bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- White beans, such as navy beans or cannellini beans
- Green onions
Serving Suggestions and Side Dish Ideas
When you serve this delicious dinner, don’t forget to add some toppings. Some of my favorite toppings and side dishes are:
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh parsley
- Twice-baked potatoes
- Salad – adding one of these sides makes it an even more satisfying and filling meal.
Variations for the Pumpkin Ground Turkey Recipe
- If you’re not a huge fan of ground turkey, try this recipe with ground chicken or ground beef.
- You can also swap out the pumpkin puree for pureed sweet potatoes. They’re both sweet and savory, just like pumpkin, and also offer a bounty of health benefits.
- Fire-roasted tomatoes can also give this recipe a bit more of a traditional chili flavor.
- And if you don’t want to make it on your stovetop, simply brown your meat and add the remaining ingredients. Then toss it all into your slow cooker to come home to a great meal on those busy days or weeknights.
Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Bread
- Pumpkin Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Roasted Pumpkin With Garlic, Sweet Potatoes, and Cherry Tomatoes from Williams Sonoma
Flavorful and Easy Pumpkin Ground Turkey Recipe
Healthy pumpkin turkey chili is a simple recipe that packs tons of flavor in every bite.
While it satisfies beautifully on a cold night, you can easily make it any time of year when you need a simple, delicious, and nutritious dinner!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15oz) cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15oz) can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (15oz) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 ½ Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ to 1 cup of chicken broth
Heat the oil on medium-high heat in a Dutch Oven or Large Stockpot.
Brown the turkey and onions. Add the bell peppers and minced garlic and sauteé for a few minutes until the peppers and garlic are soft.
Next, add the tomatoes, pumpkin, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and seasonings.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If chili needs to be thinned, add ½ to 1 cup of chicken broth.
You can store the chili in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. It's good in the fridge for about three to four days. You can also freeze the turkey pumpkin chili for up to three months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 468Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 557mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 10gSugar: 7gProtein: 33g
Nutrition is approximate.
Hi there! I’m Julie Pollitt from ‘Back To My Southern Roots.’ My love for cooking started way back on my grandparents’ farm in Tennessee. Those sunny days, the smell of biscuits in the oven, and all the family fun really sparked my passion for cooking. On my blog, I share more than just recipes – they’re like stories from my life, full of Southern warmth and homey goodness. The best part? Whether you’re just starting out or you’re a kitchen pro, you’ll find my recipes super easy to whip up. So, come on, pull up a chair, and let’s make some delicious memories!