This classic pumpkin roll recipe is one delicious dessert. It’s a wonderful cake filled with the best cream cheese frosting and topped with powdered sugar. The easy pecan-filled recipe is the perfect treat for the fall season (with a lovely pumpkin latte) and the Thanksgiving holiday.
I worked quite a few years as a payroll clerk for a pipeline contractor and we worked away from home. The office manager’s wife brought us treats on a daily basis and it sure gave us the comforts of home.
The pumpkin roll cake recipe is one that she brought in several times and I fell in love with it. It’s absolutely delicious, and I feel like the fall season is not complete without making it.
What do I need to make the easy pumpkin roll recipe?
- Jelly roll pan 10″ x 15″
- Medium bowl
- Hand mixer
- Large rectangular kitchen towel
- Lemon juice
- Self-rising flour
- Baking soda
- Chopped pecans
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Parchment paper
- Non-stick spray
How do I make the pumpkin roll recipe?
- Spray a jellyroll pan with non-stick spray. Cover with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray again.
- Add the eggs to a medium-sized bowl and whisk.
- Next, add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the pumpkin, lemon juice, flour, and baking soda and mix well.
- Now, add the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and stir.
- Next, add the chopped pecans.
- Pour the pumpkin batter into the jelly roll pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the kitchen towel, then gently flip the cake over onto the towel and roll it up while you make the cream cheese frosting.
Cream cheese frosting recipe
- Add the softened butter, softened cream cheese, and vanilla extract to a bowl. Mix until creamy.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix the ingredients well.
- Unroll the pumpkin cake and spread the cream cheese frosting on the inside, making sure to spread to the edges.
- Re-roll the pumpkin roll and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up a little.
Recipe and printable instructions listed below
Start by adding the eggs to a medium-sized bowl.
Next, pour in the sugar and mix the two ingredients together.
Add the pumpkin to the bowl.
The self-rising flour and baking soda are the next ingredients on the list.
Add the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to the bowl and mix.
Finally, add the pecans to the batter and mix. I bought a bag of chopped pecans. These pecans were a little large, so you can use them like this, or chop them up smaller–it’s personal preference.
Pour into the jelly roll pan and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Before you add the pumpkin roll batter to the jelly roll pan, spray it with a non-stick spray and cover with some parchment paper. Then spray the parchment paper again, so the pumpkin roll won’t stick when you’re ready to peel off the paper.
While the pumpkin roll bakes, grab a large rectangular kitchen towel and sprinkle powdered sugar all over it.
Once the cake cools for a few minutes, gently flip it over onto the towel with powdered sugar and roll it up. It doesn’t need to be super tight.
Now, you can move on to the frosting while the cake cools in the towel.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Add the softened butter to the bowl.
Next, add the softened cream cheese and vanilla. Mix the ingredients together until they are creamy.
Add the powdered sugar and mix well.
Now, unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese inside. Be sure to spread to the edges.
Then, roll the pumpkin cream cheese roll back up and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to harden a little before serving.
But, if you’re like me and can’t wait, slice a piece, but be gentle as the cake will tear more easily while warm.
Why does my pumpkin roll always crack?
Mine will crack sometimes, too (like in the picture above). But, if you roll the pumpkin roll in the towel while it is still warm, it will lessen the chances of cracking. However, if it does crack, do not worry, it will still taste delicious.
How long does pumpkin roll last?
The pumpkin roll will last for about one week in the refrigerator, or you can store it in the freezer for up to one month. Be sure to wrap the pumpkin cake roll in Saran Wrap and then inside of an airtight bag to keep it as fresh as possible.
What can you make with pumpkin?
Oh, the list is endless. Here are a few pumpkin desserts that you can make:
- Pumpkin pie is, of course, one of the most popular desserts around the holidays.
- Pull-apart pumpkin bread with cinnamon icing is probably one of my all-time favorite pumpkin desserts. It’s easy to make and it’s a fun recipe. It requires biscuits, pumpkin puree, powdered sugar frosting, and our favorite fall spices.
- Pumpkin bread with maple cream icing is a special treat. The moist pumpkin bread is packed with flavor for a wonderful treat.
- Pumpkin streusel muffins with icing are a great snack with a pumpkin latte.
- Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting are a cross between a bar and cake. It’s perfect for this time of year.
Check out the pumpkin roll with the best cream cheese recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a great autumn dessert and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your roll on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too!
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease a jelly roll pan and cover with parchment paper. Spray the top of the parchment paper with non-stick spray, as well.
Pumpkin roll cake
- Add eggs to a medium-sized bowl and beat.
- Next, add the sugar and mix again.
- Now, add the pumpkin, lemon juice, self-rising flour, and baking soda and mix well.
- Next, add the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and mix.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix.
- Pour into the jelly roll pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once the cake bakes, allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle a towel with powdered sugar and gently flip the cake over onto the towel. Gently roll the cake up in the towel and set aside while you make the frosting.
Cream cheese frosting
- Add the softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract to a bowl and mix until creamy.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well.
- Unroll the towel with the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture on the cake, making sure to spread to the edges.
- Gently roll up the cake again and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to firm up.
While rolling up the cake, it is not required to roll it tightly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 306mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is approximate
Check out more recipes at: