Easy pumpkin dump cake is a rich and flavorful cake made with cake mix, pecans, plenty of pumpkin, and comforting seasonal spices.
It’s the kind of delicious dessert that will turn non-pumpkin eaters into pumpkin lovers. It’s THAT good.
Simple Pumpkin Dump Cake
When I say this is truly one of the best pumpkin desserts I’ve ever eaten, I mean it. And pumpkin is not one of my top favorites, but this turned me into a big pumpkin fan!
It is nothing short of amazing and a great option for gatherings.
What Ingredients Are Needed For Pumpkin Dump Cake?
- Canned pumpkin
- Evaporated milk
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Ground nutmeg
- Boxed yellow cake mix
- Chopped pecans
- Butter, sliced
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Watch How To Make The Easiest Fall Dessert
Tools Needed For Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish
Two Main Parts
The easy pumpkin dump cake recipe features two main parts:
The pumpkin pie bottom layer – this pumpkin filling layer features the typical ingredients that form a pumpkin pie. It will have the same consistency as a pie and taste just as good.
The top cake mixture layer – it seems strange to just use cake mix, butter, and pecans for the top layer, but it’s really my favorite part of the dessert.
It’s crunchy and perfectly sweet. I knew it was going to be a wonderful dessert, but I honestly didn’t know it would be so amazing.
How Do I Make The Dump Cake From Scratch?
- Preheat the oven got 350 degrees and grease a 9″ X 13″ baking dish.
- Add the pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves to a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour the ingredients into the baking dish.
- In another bowl, mix the dry cake and chopped pecans and gently pour over the pumpkin mixture.
- Slice the butter and place it on top of the dry cake mix.
- Bake for one hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least one hour.
If you love pumpkin recipes, Jennifer over at Plowing Through Life has some tasty pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing.
How To Make A Dump Cake
Start by adding the pumpkin puree to a large bowl.
Next, pour the evaporated milk into the bowl and combine it with pumpkin puree.
Add the brown sugar to the bowl.
Next, add the eggs.
The seasonings go into the mixture next.
I used cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves for the recipe, but you can also use some pumpkin pie spice if that’s what you have on hand.
I really like the fall flavors of each of these seasonings, so that’s what I like to add to the cake.
Pour the mixed ingredients into a greased 9″ x 13″ casserole dish.
The mixture will be very liquidy, like a pumpkin pie–that’s basically what you’re baking on the bottom half of the cake.
It will have the consistency of pumpkin pie.
In another bowl, mix the chopped pecans and the dry cake mix together.
For the cake mix, I used Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix.
Gently sprinkle dry cake mix on top of the pumpkin pie bottom layer.
I used a small measuring cup to sprinkle the cake mix on top, so it wouldn’t dump on and push through the liquid mixture.
The idea is to keep the dry mixture on top, so when it bakes, it will be nice and crunchy and sweet.
Finally, cut the butter into small pieces and it place on top of the cake mix.
It will melt while the cake cooks and add so much flavor. Plus, it will help make the top crusty.
Bake the simple fall cake for one hour and 15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Allow the pumpkin dump cake to set up for at least one hour.
That’s honestly the hardest part of this recipe–waiting to eat it.
But let the cake cool. Otherwise, the bottom will not have set up yet, so it might be a little messy.
Once the cake cools, it will be at room temperature. You can add a slice to a plate and top with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
You can also add a drizzle of caramel sauce on top. It’s definitely a great recipe.
Be ready because once you taste this dump cake, you are going to want plenty more.
The easy dump cake recipe is good enough for after Thanksgiving dinner.
Does Pumpkin Dump Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes, the cake needs to be refrigerated. Be sure to keep it in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap.
The cake will last about one week in the refrigerator.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Chocolate chess pie is one of those desserts that you will want to make year after year. It’s rich and decadent and always creamy and delicious.
- Praline pecans recipe is a must for the holidays. And, they are easy to make and ship well if you want to share them with friends and family far away.
- Butter pecan fudge is one dessert you will never forget and crave it on the daily. It’s a treat that is especially wonderful around the holidays.
Pumpkin Dump Cake
Pumpkin dump cakes are a delicious fall dessert. And this pumpkin cake with yellow cake mix is no exception.
The recipe is easy to make and is the best pumpkin dump cake around. Be sure to get the recipe below.
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 sticks butter, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Add the pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg to a large bowl and mix.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish (the mixture will be runny like pumpkin pie).
- In another bowl, mix the cake mix and chopped pecans and gently sprinkle cake mix over the pumpkin mixture.
- Cut the butter into slices and place on top of the cake.
- Bake for one hour and 15 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool and set up for at least one hour.
- Cut, top with a scoop of ice cream and serve.
Do not make the cake mixture according to the box directions. Only use the ingredients in the list above.
For this recipe, I used Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 264mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is approximate.