Looking to spice up your weeknight dinners? Look no further! This Cowboy Cornbread Casserole Recipe is a hearty meal that’s as easy as it is delicious.
With simple ingredients and a burst of flavors, it’s sure to become one of your favorite recipes.
An Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipe
I love this recipe because it’s so easy to make. You can pretty much throw everything together, and you’ve got dinner.
Ingredients for Cowboy Casserole
- Ground beef
- Diced onion
- Minced garlic
- Can of whole-kernel corn, drained
- Can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- Can of black beans, drained
- Package of taco seasoning
- Shredded cheddar cheese (reserve some for topping)
- Boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make The Cowboy Casserole
Start by gathering your ingredients.
Cook the ground beef, onions, and garlic and drain the grease.
Once browned in your large skillet over medium-high heat, these ingredients create a ground beef mixture that’s both flavorful and satisfying.
Add in the whole-kernel corn, Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, shredded cheese, and that quintessential taco seasoning for a kick of flavor.
Pour the meat mixture into the casserole dish and spread it out. Set it aside.
The top of the meat mixture is crowned with a fluffy cornbread mixture. By using a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix, you make preparation a breeze.
Blend it with eggs, milk, and a dollop of sour cream to bring moisture and richness to the cornbread batter. A bit of vegetable oil ensures it all bakes up to that irresistible golden brown.
Easy Assembling for Busy Weeknights
Pour the cornbread over the top of the meat and spread it out to make sure it covers the bottom layer.
Bake, uncovered, for about 40-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. The cornbread is golden brown on top when done.
Serving Up the Cowboy Dinner
Once done, serve with a sprinkle of extra cheddar cheese, a drizzle of barbecue sauce, or a scoop of pico de gallo. For those who love a bit of extra kick, some jalapeños or green chilies can be the perfect toppings.
Here are a few ideas:
- Green bell peppers
- Red bell peppers
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Crumbled cooked bacon
Storing Leftover Cowboy Cornbread Casserole
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, storing the leftover cowboy cornbread casserole is simple. Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or put it in an airtight container.
It’ll keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, making it a great way to prep for the week.
More Delicious Casseroles
- Crock Pot beefy potato taco casserole from Best Casserole Recipes
- Frito Pie with ground beef
- Crock Pot ground beef and potato casserole
- Sloppy Joe tater tot casserole
Ready to Try It Out?
You can find the full recipe with detailed measurements and instructions at the bottom of this post. It even comes with a printable recipe card, perfect for adding to your collection.
So why wait? Round up these ingredients from your grocery store and get ready to enjoy a new twist on casserole recipes that’s as enjoyable to make as it is to eat!
Cowboy Cornbread Casserole Recipe
- 1.5 pounds of ground beef
- 1/2 diced onion (white or yellow onion)
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 15.25-ounce can of whole-kernel corn, drained
- 10 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 ounce package of taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (Packaged is fine) (save a few shreds to top the food at the end for pictures).
- 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the ground beef, onions, and garlic and drain the grease.
- Add the Rotel, taco seasoning, corn, beans, and shredded cheese to the beef mixture and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch greased casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Jiffy cornbread.
- Add the eggs, milk, sour cream, and vegetable oil and mix well.
- Pour over the ground beef mixture and bake, uncovered, for about 40-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. The cornbread is usually golden brown on top when done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 660Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 881mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 37g
Nutrition is approximate.