This post may contain affiliate links.
I absolutely love the cooler months, leading up to the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Down here in Florida, the cooler days are few and far between. If the temps drop down to 65-degrees, we are scrambling for the flannel. But, when the temperatures finally drop, I whip out the hot chocolate mix and the kids come running to get a hold of a cup. (I love this crazy mug – this is going on my Christmas list).
With the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays right around the corner, it seems like we are craving more hot chocolate. It’s a fun treat that makes you feel like you are all snuggled in for the winter and ready for the holidays.
The beautiful thing about making the hot chocolate recipe at home is that you will save tons of money. I love coffee shops more than you will ever know, but I can’t afford to go often. And making it at home means we can have it whenever we want (shh, don’t tell, but we could almost call it a daily ritual).
The kids seem to like this homemade mix more than the store bought kind. And as a bonus, chocolate is good for you, so it’s a win all the way around!
If you want to add some spice and create a Mexican Hot Chocolate, just add a little cinnamon and chili powder. Slide on down for the recipe.
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Handful of marshmallows
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Add the cocoa, sugar, and salt to a coffee cup, and mix with a spoon.
- Add the milk and mix again. There will most likely be lumps.
- Microwave for approximately 1 minute.
- Carefully take the mug out and stir the hot chocolate mix.
- Now that the mix is hot, the cocoa will begin to melt. Keep stirring until it is blended well.
- Microwave for 30 more seconds, if needed. Stir again.
- Add the marshmallows on top.