This breakfast egg casserole is a smash hit!
An Easy And Healthy Breakfast Recipe
Made with an egg mixture, hash browns, bacon, and cheese, this breakfast bake checks all the boxes for a complete breakfast.
My whole family loves this egg casserole recipe, and I’m sure yours will too. It takes all those breakfast favorites and brings them together in one simple and delightful dish!
The Perfect Make-Ahead Breakfast
Breakfast casserole recipes are a blessing, especially for holidays.
On Christmas morning, I love to make this hearty breakfast casserole because I can get it ready ahead of time. That way, I’m not in the kitchen while everyone is gathered around the tree.
It’s a delicious breakfast that works for busy mornings too.
Breakfast casserole recipes like this one here really take the stress out of making breakfast for a crowd.
So whether you’ve got houseguests to feed or just your own family, make this yummy casserole for them.
Ingredients For Egg Casserole
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Southern-style diced hash brown potatoes
- Salt and black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Heavy cream
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make The Breakfast Casserole
It never ceases to amaze me how you can throw a few simple ingredients together and create an epic meal.
Everyone always asks me for this recipe, and they can’t believe this is all that’s in my breakfast casserole.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl and beat.
- Next, add the crumbled bacon to the bowl.
- Add the cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and heavy cream and mix well.
- Next, add the potatoes to a 9-inch by 13-inch greased baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and mix.
- Cover the breakfast with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 10-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked all the way through.
The first step to this basic recipe is to add the eggs to a large bowl.
Next, add the cooked and crumbled bacon to the bowl.
You can add breakfast sausage in there or replace the bacon with it. Or you could use turkey bacon for a healthier breakfast.
Add the shredded cheese to the bowl next.
For this recipe, I used sharp cheddar cheese.
Sometimes I like to shake things up by using different cheeses.
Monterey jack cheese is a good one, and if you want to add a hint of spice, you can throw in some pepper jack cheese too. Any kind of cheese will work for this cheesy egg casserole.
On top, add some green onions and more crispy bacon if you like, or just serve it as-is.
Trust me, it will be gone in a flash, so hurry up and get a bite while you can!
Pour the heavy cream into the bowl.
You can use heavy cream, half and half, two percent, one percent, or skim milk for this recipe.
Sprinkle the salt and pepper into the bowl and mix well.
Add the southern-style potatoes to a prepared baking dish.
You can use the entire bag or half of the bag, depending on how many potatoes you would like in the dish.
You can either use butter or nonstick cooking spray to grease the dish.
Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and give everything a little stir to combine.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 50 minutes. Remove the foil after the baking time and bake another 20 minutes or until the eggs are done.
The breakfast dish will be a little bit golden brown around the edges.
Optional Additional Ingredients
- Diced bell peppers.
- Sausage – ground or Italian.
- Cottage cheese on the side.
- Green peppers sprinkled on top.
- Fresh fruit on the side.
- Fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme.
- Sauté some onion and add it to the dish.
- Bread cubes for a heartier dish.
How To Store Any Leftover Egg Casserole
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or cover the dish (that has cooled off) with plastic wrap. You will need to refrigerate the egg casserole.
More Delicious Recipes
- Easy overnight French toast casserole
- Easy and healthy breakfast quiche
- Cheesy sausage breakfast quiche
- John Wayne Casserole from Casserole Crissy
Easy Cheesy Egg Breakfast Casserole With Potato
This easy breakfast casserole recipe is going to wow your taste buds. It’s a hearty meal that everyone loves in my home.
You can simplify life for busy days by making it ahead or serving it to visiting family when they’re in town.
And if you ever feel like having breakfast for dinner, you should definitely make it.
While you’re at it, throw in some pancakes made with Jiffy Mix.
I don’t think anyone will want to go back home after coming to stay with you!
- 16 eggs
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces of southern-style diced hash brown potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl and beat.
- Next, add the bacon, shredded cheese, heavy cream, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Add the potatoes to the prepared baking dish and spread out.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and give it all a stir to combine.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 10-20 minutes or until the eggs are done.
You can use your favorite type of cheese for this recipe.
You can use bacon bits if you don't want to cook any bacon. You will need about 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 363mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 25g
Nutrition is approximate.