Pesto chicken is a fantastic recipe when you’re looking for a delicious meal and don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen.
The whole family will love this meal that can be prepped in under ten minutes.
Basic Ingredients For A Delicious Meal
This pesto chicken recipe is one of the easiest dishes to make. It only calls for four ingredients and it’s one of those easy dinners that everyone loves.
The pesto chicken bake is thrown together in five minutes and cooked in less than an hour.
You can eat it with a side dish, cut it up in a salad, or as a chicken pesto sandwich.
The rich and flavorful dish will certainly become a favorite and you only need a few simple ingredients.
I’ve had a lot of people tell me that they love this recipe, especially because it’s so easy to make, and the flavor is out-of-this-world.
We stay busy around here throughout most of the week.
I’m taking kids all over creation for music lessons, after-school functions, and then trying to help them get through homework each night.
So, when I can fix an easy meal for supper, I am all over it.
Need some side dishes for baked pesto, give these a try.
This chicken pesto bake has all the goods–pesto sauce, parmesan cheese, and cherry tomatoes–for a mouthwatering flavorful combination.
And the best part? The chicken pesto bake takes all of five minutes to prepare. Yep, you read that right, five minutes. Bam. Done.
An Easy Recipe For Picky Eaters
My youngest will try anything, but I was curious if my oldest would like the pesto sauce.
We don’t eat a lot of pesto around here and I’m not sure why because I love it.
I even took a class way back in the day to learn how to make homemade basil pesto.
So, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the oldest ended up loving the pesto on the chicken. We ate the chicken with a side dish and it was filling.
My husband is on a diet and took his piece of chicken, cut it up, and made a chicken pesto salad out of it.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Pesto Chicken?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
- Chicken breasts
- Pesto sauce
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Cherry tomatoes
How To Make The Recipe
Lay your skinless chicken breasts side-by-side in a casserole dish.
You don’t need to spray the dish with non-stick spray since the chicken won’t stick in this recipe.
I used four chicken breasts because there are four of us here at home.
You can use as little or as many as you’d like, and that’s another bonus of this recipe.
Spread the pesto sauce on top of the chicken.
You can either make your own pesto sauce or buy it in a jar. I used a jar for this recipe and it was very flavorful.
If you buy the small 3.5 oz. jar of Alessi Pesto it will be the perfect size for the four chicken breasts.
I used the entire jar, and you can see in the pic above that it was the right amount. It was affordable, too.
What Is Pesto Sauce Made Of?
Homemade pesto sauce can be made in a variety of ways, but usually includes pine nuts, fresh basil, olive oil, and parmesan cheese.
And there is nothing tastier than fresh basil pesto. It is so packed with flavor.
Salt and black pepper can be added, as well.
Next, you’re going to sprinkle the shredded parmesan cheese right on top of the pesto sauce. Easy peasy.
You can also use fresh mozzarella cheese, instead of parmesan, for a delicious pesto mozzarella chicken.
Finally, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and throw them right on top of the chicken breasts.
The tomatoes are going to add a little flavor and a pop of color, as well. They are so pretty!
You can use just a few or a lot, whichever you decide to do. Chicken pesto with tomatoes sure adds a lot of flavor to an already great meal.
If you don’t have cherry tomatoes, you can use tomato slices for the meal.
No need to run down to the grocery store and spend more money or time. Just use what you’ve got for this easy recipe.
Once you get the cherry tomatoes on top of the pesto chicken recipe add it to a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink, on 350-degrees.
If the cheese starts to get really brown, you can put some tin foil over the top for the last few minutes.
Above all, this is one of the easiest meals to make for family. I just know y’all will love how it turns out.
All you need to do is add a side dish or your favorite salad, and you’ve got a wonderful meal that everyone will love.
Optional Ingredients (In the Dish or on the Side)
- Chicken thighs – If you don’t have chicken breasts, chicken thighs will work great for this recipe.
- Creamy pesto sauce – add some pesto with heavy cream to the meal for a creamier flavor.
- Red onion – add some to the dish while baking for a zinggy flavor.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – sun dried tomatoes will give the dish a different and more rustic flavor.
- Angel hair pasta – pasta is always a great addition to pesto chicken.
- Zucchini noodles – these are perfect if you’re wanting to go low carb.
- Brown rice – rice is one of those favorite things that everyone loves.
- Spaghetti squash – Get more nutrients into your dinner with squash.
- Cauliflower rice – cauliflower is a simple recipe that makes this and chicken the perfect weeknight meal.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Baked buttermilk chicken strips – the chicken tenders are a hit here at the house. I get requests from the kids for these often.
- Baked chicken and gravy – this is one of those easy dinner recipes that we all love around here. It takes about five to ten minutes to get it prepped and in the oven.
- Baked chicken breast recipe – this tasty recipe calls for plain chicken breasts and three other ingredients that you most likely already have.
- Slow cooker chicken and gravy – this is a huge hit on the blog and such a great recipe. It’s super easy to make and is so flavorful.
What To Serve With Pesto Chicken
- Oven Baked Potato Wedges.
- 10-Minute Scalloped Corn with Cheese
- Broccoli Cheese Bake
- Cheesy Diced Baked Potatoes
- Green beans with bacon
- Crusty bread with rosemary and roasted garlic
- A fresh side salad with some creamy sauce on top.
- Moist Jiffy cornbread
Print the Recipe Below
This easy pesto chicken is one of the best choices for those busy weeknights when you’re seeking a flavorful yet simple chicken dinner.
By using store-bought pesto, the preparation time is slashed, making this a good recipe to keep in your rotation.
Pair it with some steamed vegetables or a fresh salad, and you have a complete meal in no time.
If you’re on the hunt for an easy dinner option that doesn’t skimp on taste, look no further.
Print out the full recipe and treat yourself and your loved ones to this delightful dish.Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3.5 oz. pesto sauce
- 8 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
- 5-10 cherry tomatoes (diced)
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish.
- Spread the entire jar of pesto sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the 8 oz. of shredded parmesan cheese over the pesto sauce.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes and sprinkle over the chicken.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
If the cheese begins to brown, place tinfoil over the top for the remainder of the cooking time.
If you have fresh tomatoes on hand, those can be sliced and used in place of cherry tomatoes.
The internal temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees.
If you have any leftover pesto chicken you can keep it in an airtight container or cover with some plastic wrap. Keep it refrigerated until you are ready to heat it up that evening or the next day.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 590Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 1193mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 62g
Nutrition is approximate.