Looking for the perfect snack this holiday season? Want a warm and inviting snack? Give this savory slow cooker Christmas Chex Mix recipe a try.
The long-time popular snack is made with just a few ingredients and can be whipped up and cooking in no time. It’s definitely one of my favorite things.
Homemade Chex Mix Recipe
Chex Mix recipes are great for making at home for any holiday party or giving away as homemade gifts.
The salty Chex Mix recipe can be made in a variety of ways, including sweet or savory.
For this post, I am going to share how to make it savory.
What I Love About This Recipe
- This is a really easy recipe. All you need to do is throw a few ingredients into the slow cooker, stir, and you’re ready to cook it.
- It’s perfect for parties or game day because you can cook it up and have it ready in a couple of hours.
- It will feed a crowd. The recipe makes a large amount of food to share.
- It’s the perfect combination of flavors to keep people coming back for more.
- It’s a budget-friendly snack, especially around the Christmas season when you want to bring something to a party but don’t want to spend a lot of money.
Ingredients For The Homemade Chex Mix Recipe
The recipe is made up of a few simple ingredients. If this is your first time making it, you will be pleasantly surprised at how great it tastes and how easy it is to make.
- Rice Chex
- Corn Chex
- Pretzel twists
- Assorted nuts
- Worcestershire sauce
- Melted butter
- Garlic powder
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Step-By-Step Instructions For Savory Chex Mix
Start by gathering your ingredients.
Add both Chex mixes, pretzels, and nuts to the bottom of a 5 or 7-quart slow cooker.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, melted butter, and garlic powder with a fork. Mix until fully blended.
Pour the butter mixture evenly over the Chex Mix in the slow cooker.
Gently mix the ingredients together until all of it is covered with the butter mixture.
Place the lid on top of the Crock Pot and cook on low for about two and a half hours, stirring often.
Make sure you stir with a rubber spatula so you can scrape the butter mixture off of the bottom of the slow cooker. This will help keep it from burning on the bottom.
Once the Chex Mix cooks, you can remove it from the slow cooker, pour it into a large serving bowl or large mixing bowl, and serve it immediately, or wait for it to get to room temperature.
Add Some Variety to the Savory Christmas Chex Mix Recipe
You can make the recipe as is, add some sweet ingredients to the savory mixture, or make it a sweet treat. Here are a few ingredients you can add or rotate out.
If you do add some sweet ingredients, make sure the Chex Mix is cooled to room temperature so it doesn’t melt the ingredients.
- M&M’s chocolate candies. Use red and green M&M’s for Christmas.
- White chocolate chips to make a sweet holiday Chex Mix.
- Bagel chips for a different kind of crunch.
- Add some brown sugar to the butter mixture to make it a sweet and salty snack.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the top for holiday treats. Break it up and toss in some mini marshmallows for a sweet Chex Mix recipe.
- Seasoned salt such as onion powder flavoring (mix into the butter mixture).
- Add some hot chocolate balls from Family Around The Table to the mix for a decadent treat.
Can This Be Made In The Oven?
Yes, you can make this recipe in the oven. You would use the full recipe and make it the same way. Then, pour it onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes in a 250-degree oven.
How To Store The Savory Chex Mix
You can store the Chex Mix in an airtight container. Or you can add the cereal mixture to a plastic bag and tie on some holiday decorations as giveaways.
You could even add some to a Mason jar and give those away as gifts. It’s a great Christmas snack mix and something fun to make with the kids. You can make the simple recipe a new family tradition.
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 2 cups pretzel twists or pretzel sticks
- 2 cups assorted nuts
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add both Chex cereals, pretzels, and nuts to the bottom of a 5 or 7-quart slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, butter, and garlic powder with a fork. Mix until fully blended.
- Pour the butter mixture over the Chex mix and gently mix the ingredients together.
- Cook on low heat for 2 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the slow cooker with a rubber spatula when stirring.
- When done, serve immediately or at room temperature.
- The recipe is a hearty blend with a nice toasted texture.
- To sweeten this Chex mix, add M&M's and/or raisins to the dish after it’s cooled completely to room temperature.
- Some pieces on the bottom of the slow cooker may burn depending on how long they sit there. Be sure to stir frequently and scrape the bottom of the slow cooker while doing so.
- A rubber spatula allows you to scrape the slow cooker as you stir without damaging the Chex mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Nutrition is approximate.