Are you a sucker for chewy cookies? Yep, me too! That’s why I’m sharing the best chocolate chip cookies with shortening with you.
The original recipe gives you the ultimate chocolate chip cookies that no one can resist.
They are made with a delicious ingredient that truly brings out the best in your baking and leaves you with the best cookies for any occasion.
The Perfect Cookie Recipe
These are amazing and enjoyable 365 days a year!
Why This is the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Out There
- The cookies are chewy on the inside and bake up with crisp edges.
- They taste fresh for several days.
- And they are thick and chocolatey.
For this recipe, you only need a few basic ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry.
- Butter-flavored shortening
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Let’s Bake: A Step-by-Step Guide
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line your baking sheet with parchment paper for best results.
I used cold butter and shortening for the recipe, which will keep the cookies from spreading too much in the oven.
Combine butter, butter-flavored Crisco shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Beat at low speed. You can also use a stand mixer.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract and continue mixing.
Slowly add the flour, baking soda, and table salt to the wet ingredients. Make sure you don’t overmix.
Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and mix into the cookie dough.
And if you’re feeling adventurous, add some peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips for added flavor.
Once mixed together, place your dough in an airtight container and refrigerate for an hour. This step is crucial. Chilling prevents too much spread during baking, as well as using cold butter and shortening.
After chilling, take a large cookie scoop and scoop out onto the cookie sheet. They are a little crumbly, so you might have to press them together.
Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, making sure you have enough space in between.
Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until crispy edges form. For a crispier cookie, extend the baking time by a couple of minutes.
Once the cookies are baked, move them over to a wire rack to cool.
Tasty Variations and Tips
- Consider substituting the regular shortening with coconut oil or vegetable oils for a slightly different texture.
- For those who enjoy a hint of saltiness with their sweet, sprinkle some sea salt on top before baking.
- Add some peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or even dark chocolate chips to the recipe.
More Delicious Holiday Desserts
- Iced oatmeal cookies from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Classic chocolate fudge
- Brownie mix cookies
- Pineapple upside-down cake
- Old-fashioned chocolate pie
- Homemade banana pudding
This classic chocolate chip cookie recipe will surely be your new favorite. The best part is that you’re guaranteed a good cookie every time you bake them.
So, why wait? Dive into this simple recipe and treat yourself to some homemade goodness made with love.
And remember, whether you’re baking for a special occasion or just an everyday treat, there’s nothing quite like the taste of easy chocolate chip cookies made from the heart. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the butter, shortening, white, and brown sugars to a large mixing bowl and mix to combine on low speed.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix.
- Next, add the flour, baking soda, salt, and mix. Do not overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Take a large cookie scoop and scoop out a cookie. Place it on the cookie sheet at least two inches from the other cookies.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown on the outside.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about 10 minutes, and move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
The cookie dough is a little crumbly, so you might have to press it together when you are scooping it out and onto the cookie sheet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 211mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate.