Baked mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food that goes with any dinner recipe. The cheesy meal is a family favorite and combines a creamy and crunchy texture in every bite.
This baked mac version is filling, and everyone will come back for more.
Plus, it’s really easy to prepare – perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. So give it a try today! You won’t be disappointed.
The Ultimate Comfort Food
Macaroni and cheese is one of the most comforting meals out there, and I’ll take it just about any way I can get it.
It’s definitely one of our favorite foods, and it’s good enough you can eat it at any meal and on special occasions.
I got this recipe from a friend, and she said it is an old family recipe and stays in their meal rotation because the kids love it and it’s easy to make. We’re all about easy recipes around this house.
Picky Eaters Love This Classic Macaroni
I’ve always been a bit of a picky eater. Thankfully, I am a little better now and will try more things.
Years ago, I was dating a guy that took me to his nephew’s high school football game. I hadn’t eaten supper for some reason, and I was starving. His sister was a sweetie and offered to go grab us a potato from the concession stand.
When she returned, the potato was covered in sour cream (don’t laugh at me for my pickiness-ha!).
I was trying to figure out how to NOT eat the potato covered in sour cream that his sister bought without being totally rude. My mom and dad had drilled manners right on into me.
Needless to say, there was no way to avoid the potato. I ate it. AND I LOVED IT! How had I gone for so many years without eating sour cream?
I know, it’s sad. I was a crazy girl for not trying it before that night. So, now, I eat it on everything! And, the best homemade mac tastes amazing with sour cream.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make The Easy Baked Mac?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
- Elbow macaroni noodles
- Evaporated milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Bread crumbs (or Panko crumbs)
How To Make Baked Mac And Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
- Cook pasta noodles according to the box, drain and set aside.
- Add the sour cream and parmesan cheese to a large bowl.
- Next, add the cooked noodles and mix well.
- Pour the evaporated milk into the bowl.
- Add two cups of shredded cheese and mix well.
- Add the ingredients to the baking dish and top with the remainder of the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the dish.
- Dice the butter and place on top of the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
Cook the macaroni noodles according to the box directions. Drain and set aside.
(I buy elbow macaroni noodles at Publix on BOGO, or Aldi’s. Aldi’s has a box of 32-ounce noodles at a great price).
Once you cook the noodles, drain and place the macaroni to the side.
In a medium-sized bowl, add the sour cream and parmesan cheese. Add the cooked pasta and stir until well blended.
Add the evaporated milk and two cups of cheese and blend well.
The recipe calls for evaporated milk, but if you don’t have it, you can add regular milk to the recipe instead. It won’t be as rich but it will still taste good.
I would use whole milk if you decide to go that route.
The combination of ingredients creates a creamy sauce that is an out-of-this-world tasty and comforting meal.
Pour into a 13″ x 9″ greased casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pasta mixture.
We like to use sharp cheddar cheese because it gives the homemade mac a bit of a bite. But, you can use any type of cheese that is your favorite.
You can get a block of Monterey Jack cheese and shred it or use pepper jack cheese, mozzarella cheese, white cheddar cheese, or just about any of your favorites to switch it up now and again.
And, by all means, if you want more cheese, be sure to add it!
I am a cheese lover so, I like to try different kinds of cheese, and you can never have too much cheese as far as I am concerned.
Top with bread crumbs and butter. Bake uncovered in the oven at 350-degrees for 30 minutes.
You can use any flavor of breadcrumbs. I had plain bread crumbs on hand, but you can combine breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning or parmesan cheese for a bit of a different flavor.
Panko bread crumbs are also a great addition and will add a little more crunch.
Another option is to melt the butter and toss the bread crumbs in the melted butter before sprinkling it over the top. You’ll end up with delicious buttery bread crumbs. Mmm…
The creamy mac and cheese recipe will make about ten servings, so it will go a long way. The end result is fantastic, and it will be a hit at family dinners or any gathering!
And, if you happen to have any leftover the next day, it reheats well and still tastes fantastic.
I’m hoping the family will love this so much it will become part of your regular rotation.
Optional Ingredients For Loaded Mac And Cheese:
- Bell peppers
- Crispy bacon (Bacon mac is out-of-this-world delish)
- Caramelized onions on top
- A dash of hot sauce (add some spicy flavor)
- Cooked ground beef (and make it a full meal)
- Cayenne pepper (make it a fun and spicy meal)
- Diced green onions
Who Invented Macaroni And Cheese?
We’re not quite sure who invented mac and cheese, but we are sure thankful for them.
According to Wikipedia, the recipe was first written down in 1770 in Elizabeth Raffald’s book, The Experienced English Housekeeper. So, the recipe has been around a long time.
Ms. Raffaldi made a bechamel macaroni and cheese, so you know that was a delicious recipe with a French-inspired twist.
More Great Recipes To Serve With Baked Mac And Cheese
- Baked buttermilk chicken strips
- Baked chicken and ranch dinner
- Ritz Cracker chicken casserole
- Salmon patties
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Coleslaw
- Green beans and bacon
- Collard greens from Julia’s Simply Southern
How To Store The Mac And Cheese
You can store the mac and cheese in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator.
Get The Recipe Today
The ultimate comfort food, mac and cheese is a family favorite. This baked version combines a creamy and crunchy texture in every bite–it’s perfect for any dinner recipe.
Plus, it’s really easy to prepare so give this dish a try today. You won’t be disappointed.
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni noodles
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to the directions on the box.
- In a large bowl, add the sour cream and parmesan cheese.
- Add the cooked noodles to the bowl and mix until well blended.
- Pour the can of evaporated milk into the bowl and mix.
- Add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese and mix.
- Pour the bowl of ingredients into a greased 13" x 9" casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and top with bread crumbs.
- Cut up the butter and place in different spots on top of the dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 16g
Nutrition is approximate.