Candied yams are a true southern staple at any holiday meal. The candied yams recipe features buttery, sweet, and comforting flavors including warm spices cinnamon, and nutmeg.
This is one of the easiest and tastiest side dishes that only takes about five minutes to prepare and get into the oven, so go grab your grocery store list and head to the store.
And the best part? They are perfect for every special occasion and the holiday season.
Candied Yams From A Can
I love easy recipes and that’s why I chose to use yams from a can for this one. The first time I made these I was instantly in love.
And if it’s your first time making the yams, I just know you will love them, too.
Fresh Or Canned Yams?
You can easily peel and cook some fresh sweet potatoes for this recipe.
But, for saving time, the canned yams work perfectly because they are already cooked, soft, and ready to go. Just open the can, drain the juice, and add them to the baking dish.
So many people include yams in their holiday traditions and this is one of those recipes that people love and will continue to make year after year.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Baked Candied Yams?
- Canned yams
- Ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- Ground nutmeg
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Cook Candied Yams
- Open the can of yams, drain the juice, and pour into an 8″ x 8″ greased casserole dish.
- Slice the stick of butter into tablespoons and place on top of the yams.
- In a small bowl, add the brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg and mix well.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the yams.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove it from the oven.
- Carefully spoon the liquid candied mixture over the yams and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Serve.
Homemade Candied Yams – Step-By-Step Instructions
Start by opening the can of yams and drain the liquid. Add the yams to a greased 8″ x 8″ baking dish.
I used a 40-ounce can of yams for this recipe. With the can being so large it seems like overkill, but it was the right amount of yams for about six servings.
If you only have two or three people for the holidays, just cut the recipe in half.
If you’d rather use fresh sweet potatoes for the recipe, simply peel them, boil them until they are tender, and add them to the baking dish in place of the canned yams.
Next, slice the butter into cubes and top the yams.
Add the brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg to a small bowl and mix well.
I used light brown sugar for this recipe, but if you’d like a deeper flavor, you can use dark brown sugar.
Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the yams and butter and bake for 15 minutes. This creates a delicious sauce when it’s all melted.
Remove the candied yam recipe from the oven and spoon the hot melted butter mixture over the yams. Return it to the oven and bake another 10-15 minutes.
Are Candied Yams And Sweet Potatoes The Same?
Believe it or not, most of us have not seen a yam. The “yams” that we are eating are most likely sweet potatoes. We’ve just been calling them yams for a long time.
What Are Candied Yams Made Of?
Candied yams are usually made with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Why Are My Candied Yams Runny?
When you add butter to the recipe you will have a more liquid syrup. The sweet yams taste amazing in the brown sugar glaze and are a sweet and delicious recipe for any holiday dinner.
What Meat Goes With Candied Yams?
Candied yams are typically a holiday dish and go well with turkey, baked ham, or chicken. If you’re making the classic side dish for a special dinner, a nice juicy steak or fish filet will work well with the yams.
How Do I Store The Candied Yams?
You can store any leftover yams in an airtight container. You will also want to refrigerate the yams.
More Christmas And Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Loaded mashed potatoes go along well with yams and are the perfect holiday side dish. You can make them a little different each time for some variety.
- Mashed potatoes are a must-have for any holiday. They are always a great addition to the meal and perfect for those picky eaters.
- Easy green bean casserole is a favorite on tables around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. It only takes a little bit of time to prep it and get it into the oven.
- Sweet potato casserole is another way to use yams for a delicious side dish this year. The recipe is topped with pecans and marshmallows for a wonderfully sweet treat. The sweet potatoes recipe is a classic and it’s the perfect side dish for the Christmas and Thanksgiving table. Plus, the recipe features mini marshmallows and you can’t beat that.
- 10-minute scalloped corn with cheese is a great recipe to make when you want a delicious dish for your family, but don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing it.
How To Make Candy Yams Recipe
This is the best candied yam recipe. It’s easy to make and a great addition to any holiday meal.
So, if you’re wanting to know how to make candied yams from a can, print out the recipe below and make it for your next Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas meal.
- 1 - 40 oz. can yams
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp). butter, cubed
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees and grease an 8" x 8" baking dish.
- Open the can of yams, drain the liquid, and add to the baking dish.
- Place the sliced butter on top of the yams.
- Mix the brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg in a small bowl and sprinkle it over the yams.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove it from the oven.
- Spoon the liquid candied mixture over the yams and return to the oven.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 8gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate.
For more delicious recipes, head on over to Julia’s Simply Southern