Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, this step-by-step tutorial will help you know how to make the best cinnamon apple pie recipe.
It might look complicated, but it’s an easy apple pie recipe that everyone can make, and everyone loves.
One Amazing Dessert
What’s The Trick To The Best Apple Pie Recipe?
We all love apple pie, especially on those sunny summer afternoons. Here are a few tips for making a good one:
- Choose the right kind of apples: Look for firm, crisp apples that are great for baking, such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn.
- Flavor with spices: Enhance the apple filling’s taste by adding a warm spice like cinnamon. The cinnamon flavor complements the natural sweetness of the apples and gives the pie a wonderful aroma.
- Use a flaky crust: A flaky crust is crucial for a great apple pie. Make your own pie crust at home or buy a refrigerated crust from the store that also turns out flaky and delicious. If I do buy the crusts, Pillsbury sells them in a package of two, and they turn out flaky and delicious every time.
- Brush with an egg wash: Before baking, brush the top crust with an egg white wash made by whisking an egg white with a little water or milk. This step adds some shine right on top and gives you that beautifully golden-brown crust.
Ingredients For Apple Cinnamon Pie
- Refrigerated pie crusts
- Apples, cored, peeled, and sliced fairly thin
- Ground cinnamon
- White sugar
- Light brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Lemon juice
- Butter, cubed
- Egg for egg wash
- Water for egg wash
- Cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top of the pie
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Start by gathering up your ingredients for the apple pie.
- Line your 9-inch pie pan with the bottom crust. I used the refrigerated store-bought crusts that come in a box of two.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the apples, cinnamon, white and brown sugar, flour, and lemon juice, and mix well.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust. Place your cubed butter on top.
- Cover the apples with the second pie crust. Create an egg wash by mixing one egg white and water and brushing it over the top. Then, cut three slits on top and sprinkle your cinnamon and sugar mixture on top of the crust.
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temp to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 to 40 minutes. Bake until the top of the pie is golden brown and the filling is bubbling out of the slits.
After baking, let the pie sit at room temperature for about two hours to fully set up.
How To Add Some Variety To Your Apple Pie
Want to add a little bit of variety to your pie? Here are a few fun ideas:
- Add more fruit to your pie – try adding some pears or cranberries to your apple pie.
- Try some more spices in the mix – add some nutmeg, ginger, or cardamom for some fun new flavors.
- Sprinkle some nuts in the pie. Add a little bit of crunch with pecans or walnuts. And better yet, make them candied before you add them to the pie.
- Give your pie a lattice top crust. It’s super easy to do. Cut the crust into strips and weave them over the top in a pattern. Check out the lattice top (and the directions) on this blueberry pie.
- Use mini cinnamon rolls as a bottom pie crust. Press them into the pie pan and pour the apples over it.
- Drizzle some caramel syrup over the top – it’s a great way to add more flavor.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
More Easy Recipes and Homemade Pies
The recipes below are all easy recipes and are a hit at any kind of gathering.
- Apple pie cinnamon rolls from Cafe Delights
- Lemon blueberry coffee cake
- Pumpkin pound cake with cream cheese filling
- No bake millionaire pie
- Easy pecan tarts
- No bake chocolate cream pie
- Chocolate chess pie
How To Store The Apple Pie
How To Make The Best Cinnamon Apple Pie Recipe
Apple pie is truly American, and it’s a great summer recipe for barbecues and family gatherings. It’s also a great pie for those cool fall and winter nights.
And it’s nice enough to serve around the holidays.
Don’t wait until apple season. Make the easy homemade apple pie recipe today!
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (I buy the ones that come two in a package - I use Pillsbury pie crusts)
- 6 apples, cored, peeled, and sliced fairly thin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar (or use dark brown sugar for a deeper flavor)
- 4 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons of butter, cubed
Top of the pie
- 1 egg for egg wash (egg white only)
- 1 Tbsp of water for egg wash
- Cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top of the pie
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. (You are starting the oven temperature at 425, but will lower it to 350 after it cooks 10 minutes).
- Place a pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a large bowl, add the sliced apples, cinnamon, white and brown sugar, flour, and lemon juice and toss until combined and covering all of the apple slices.
- Next, pour apple mixture into the pie crust.
- Place the cubed butter all over the pie.
- Top with the second pie crust and pinch the edges together. Cut out two or three small slits in the pie for the steam to escape.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg white and water and brush on top of the pie.
- Sprinkle with a handful of cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake pie at 425 for 10 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the pie rest for two hours at room temperature before cutting into it.
If you want even more of a flavor pop, you can add a little bit of lemon zest into the apple mixture.
If your pie crust is starting to get more brown around the edges, but the center still needs to cook a little more, add a pie shield on top. If you don't have one, you can make it out of aluminum foil and put it around the edges.
To keep your oven clean, bake the pie on a foil-lined baking sheet or cover it with parchment paper. That way, no drips will get in the oven.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 7gSugar: 61gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is approximate.