The best pull apart Christmas tree appetizer is perfect for the holiday season.
The easy appetizer takes less than an hour from start to finish.
And the Christmas tree shape will be a fun centerpiece for the appetizer table.
A Festive Appetizer
The Christmas tree appetizer turns out so festive. It can be made into the shape of a tree or a Christmas wreath.
The great thing about the recipe is that it is very versatile. You can add different ingredients, change the shape, or add different toppings.
Make the tree the centerpiece of your holiday table.
What Ingredients Are Needed For The Christmas Tree Appetizer?
- Crescent rolls
- Basil pesto sauce
- String cheese mozzarella sticks
- Fresh parsley, minced
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Egg whites
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make The Christmas Appetizer
- Unroll the crescent rolls and cut along the dotted lines. Then, cut each crescent roll in half.
- Add one teaspoon of pesto at the larger end of the crescent roll and place a small piece of string cheese on top.
- Roll the crescent roll and set it aside.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and place the crescent rolls into the shape of a Christmas tree, starting with two at the bottom for the trunk and work your way up.
- Add one egg white to a bowl with a teaspoon of water and beat. Brush the egg white over the appetizer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees or until the crescent rolls are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven.
- Melt the butter and add the parmesan and parsley and mix.
- Brush over the Christmas appetizer and serve.
Watch How To Make
Place the crescent rolls out on a cutting board. Slice along the dotted lines.
Next, slice each roll in half with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
Place about one teaspoon of pesto and one small slice of string cheese on the large end of the crescent roll. Roll up the crescent roll and set it aside.
For this recipe, I took four pieces of string cheese and cut them eight small pieces. You will end up with 32 pieces total.
Line the cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Line up the crescent rolls to create the shape of a tree, starting with the tree trunk.
I am using a 10-inch x 13-inch-sized cookie sheet.
You will have exactly 32 crescent rolls. You will have two rows of two for the trunk at the base of the tree and then start with a bottom row of seven.
Each row will get one smaller as you go up.
You will have one crescent roll at the top of the tree.
Add an egg white and a teaspoon of water to a small bowl and beat.
Brush the egg wash over the crescent rolls.
Using egg whites will help add a little crunch and shininess to the tops of the rolls.
Bake the crescent rolls until they are golden brown.
The baking time is about 20-25 minutes.
As soon as the crescent rolls are done baking, melt the butter. Add the parmesan cheese and minced parsley and mix.
Brush the butter mixture over the crescent rolls and serve.
You can add some marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
A Variety Of Toppings For The Edible Christmas Tree
My favorite part about this recipe is that you can change things up a bit. You can add some color here and there.
- Cut a red bell pepper into the shape of a star with a star cookie cutter and place it on the top of the tree.
- Add some cherry tomatoes as ornaments.
- Sprinkle some rosemary over the top to look like pine needles on the branches of the tree.
How To Store The Christmas Tree Appetizer
If you have any leftovers store them in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
To reheat, place the crescent rolls on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and bake on 325 degrees until they are hot, approximately 10 minutes.
Different Fillings For the Christmas Tree
- Pesto sauce
- String cheese
- Boursin® cheese
- Cream cheese and dill
- Cream cheese and green onions and fresh herbs
More Delicious Party Appetizers
- Sausage and cream cheese dip
- Sour cream dip
- Walnut bacon ranch cheeseball
- Creamy chocolate chip dip
- Baked brie with puff pastry
- Christmas tree spinach dip breadsticks from Life By Leanna
The Best Pull Apart Christmas Tree Appetizer
Be sure to get the recipe for this delicious appetizer. The festive recipe is perfect for parties around the holidays.
Your Christmas appetizer table will never be the same!
- 2 cans of crescent rolls (8 in each can for a total of 16)
- 4 string cheese mozzarella sticks cut into 32 pieces
- 3 Tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a long rectangle cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each piece of string cheese into eight pieces (for a total of 32).
- Roll out the crescent rolls on a cutting board and cut along the dotted lines.
- Cut each crescent roll in half.
- Spoon a teaspoon of pesto sauce on the larger end of the crescent roll.
- Place a small piece of string mozzarella cheese on the pesto sauce and roll up the crescent roll.
- Create the shape of a tree, starting with the tree trunk. Add two rows of two for the trunk. Then start with a row of seven and work up, using one less crescent roll for each row.
- Add one egg white and a teaspoon of water to a small bowl and beat.
- Brush egg wash over the top of the Christmas tree and bake for 20-35 minutes or until the crescent rolls are golden brown.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl and add the parmesan cheese and parsley and mix.
- Brush the butter mixture over the Christmas tree and serve.
You will have exactly thirty-two crescent rolls. Start at the bottom and build the trunk out of four crescent rolls. Stack two on top of two. Then, create a row of seven rolls. Each row above will have one less row until you reach the top with one roll.
Add some marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
You can easily slide the Christmas tree onto a serving platter from the parchment paper. But it will be hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 32 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 109mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.