Hey there, cookie lovers! With the holiday season just around the corner, I have a special treat for you: Hot Chocolate Cookies!
Yes, you read that right. Imagine the cozy feeling of sipping a mug of hot chocolate but in cookie form.
These cookies are a delightful blend of chewy chocolate, gooey marshmallow, and a dash of cocoa magic. So, let’s dive into the recipe!
Cookies with a Real Hot Chocolate Mix
These cookies are perfect for holiday cookie exchanges. Who can resist a rich chocolate cookie topped with melty marshmallows?
They’re also a hit on social media. So, if you bake them, make sure to snap a pic and share your gooey hot chocolate cookies with the world.
The cookies are made with cocoa, so you’re getting the real thing.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Unsalted butter
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips (I love a mix of semi-sweet and dark chocolate)
- Brown sugar (for that lovely sweetness)
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Hot cocoa mix (grab your favorite from the grocery store)
- Baking powder
- Mini marshmallows (the fluffy kind!)
- And some extra chocolate chips (because why not?)
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Gather your ingredients and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Line your cookie sheet with some parchment paper. This ensures no sticking and easy removal of your chocolaty cookies.
In a large bowl (microwave-safe), toss in your butter and chocolate chips.
Melt it in short bursts, being careful not to burn the chocolate. Let it cool for about 3 minutes.
Pour brown sugar into your melted chocolate mixture and blend until it’s silky smooth. Then, mix in the eggs one by one, followed by a dash of vanilla extract.
Grab a medium bowl and whisk together your flour, hot cocoa mix, baking powder, and salt. This flour mixture will give our cookies that perfect chewy texture.
Gently fold your dry ingredients into the wet, chocolatey mixture.
The dough will be thick, so take your time. Once it’s just combined, let it sit for about five minutes, allowing it to absorb all that cocoa goodness.
Fold in those fluffy marshmallows and extra chocolate chips. If you’re a fan of white chocolate chips, feel free to toss some in, too!
Using a cookie scoop, dollop out cookie dough balls onto your prepared baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. Those edges should be a tad crispy with a gooey center.
Once out of the oven, let them sit for a minute or two before transferring them to a wire rack. And there you have it, gooey hot chocolate cookies ready to be devoured!
The marshmallows will melt in the oven, so you can add some marshmallows to the top of each cookie when you take them out of the oven. Just be careful, they are hot!
Extra Tips for the Perfect Cookie
- If you can’t find mini marshmallows, look for marshmallow bits in the baking aisle.
- You can substitute some of the chocolate chips with chopped chocolate for a richer flavor.
- Store any leftover chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container. But let’s be real, they’ll be gone in a flash!
- You can use an electric mixer for this recipe on low speed.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container or plastic wrap after they cool. The cookies do not need to be refrigerated but will last a couple more days if you do.
- Add a cup of hot cocoa on the side!
More Delicious Holiday Recipes
- Peanut butter cookies from The Preppy Kitchen
- Double chocolate fudge cookies
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Christmas cookie fudge
- Million dollar fudge
Hot Chocolate Cookie Recipe
These cookies are perfect for holiday cookie exchanges.
The cookies perfectly encapsulate the holiday spirit. Serve them alongside a real cup of hot chocolate, and you’ve got a match made in dessert heaven.
So, remember these hot chocolate cookies next time you’re craving a chocolaty treat or looking for the perfect cookie recipe for a chilly evening.
Trust me; they’ll become one of your favorite cookies in no time. Happy baking!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of tiny or mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a metal cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add butter and chocolate chips.
- Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn the chocolate chips. Add 10 seconds at a time until all of the chocolate is melted. Let cool for 3 minutes.
- Add sugar to chocolate and mix until smooth. Add egg one at a time and mix with each one.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- In a small bowl, add flour, hot chocolate mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix just until all the flour is incorporated. Let the batter sit for about five minutes to let it absorb the flour. Fold in marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add a few mini marshmallows on top to make the cookies look prettier.
- After about 10 minutes, move the cookies over to a wire rack to cool.
For this recipe, you can either use a whisk or a hand mixer at low speed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 305mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is approximate.