Chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispie treats are a fun and easy recipe to make.
If you’re a peanut butter lover, all you need is five simple ingredients for this traditional Rice Krispie treat.
The Best Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats have been around for generations and are one of those family favorites that we all love. (Once I start eating them, it’s hard to stop – yum!).
The recipe is open to a lot of variety including semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter, sprinkles, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peppermint chips, or just about anything you can think of.
The gooey treat is one that my kids love to make, and have since they were little.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats?
- Peanut butter
- Rice Krispies
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do You Make The Rice Krispie Treats?
- Add the butter to a large saucepan and melt it on medium heat.
- Next, add the marshmallows and cook until melted, stirring often.
- Add the creamy peanut butter to the melted marshmallows and mix until combined.
- Pour the Rice Krispies into the saucepan and stir until coated.
- Press mixture into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper. (Be careful, they will be hot).
- Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave for about one minute (stop halfway through and stir).
- Spread the chocolate on top of the Rice Krispie treats and allow the chocolate to harden.
Start by adding the butter to a large saucepan and melt on medium heat on the stove top.
I used a 5.5 quart saucepan, so you’re going to need a large one for this recipe.
Next, add the marshmallows to the large pan.
For this recipe, you can use either mini marshmallows or larger ones. I happened to have the large ones on hand so I used those.
Melt the marshmallows, stirring often so they don’t burn.
Is there anything better than melting marshmallows? Not much!
Add the peanut butter to the marshmallow mixture.
For this recipe, I used creamy peanut butter, but you can also use chunky peanut butter, or natural peanut butter.
Pour the classic Rice Krispie cereal into the pan and stir until all of them are covered with melted marshmallows.
Spread the crisp rice cereal with marshmallows and peanut butter into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan. (Be careful, the treats are hot).
I sprayed a little non-stick spray at the bottom of the pan and then placed some parchment paper over that. It helps hold the parchment paper in place.
Once the chocolate sets, it will be much easier to take the Rice Krispie treats out and cut them.
Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl.
If you will notice, the chips are a little bit white. Sometimes they will absorb a tiny bit of moisture and that is what turns them white.
They are fine to eat and will melt perfectly.
The only way to really avoid the white surface is to keep the chocolate in the freezer.
Microwave the chocolate chips in the bowl for about one minute.
Be sure to stop halfway through and stir. If the chocolate is not completely melted after one minute, stir for a minute or so. The heat should help melt the other chips.
Spread the melted chocolate topping on the crispy treat.
You can either leave the dessert out on the counter at room temperature to let the chocolate harden, or refrigerate them.
The chocolate will harden a lot faster in the refrigerator and it’s easier to cut.
If you want a thick layer of chocolate, you can double the amount of chocolate chips.
Or, you can use one bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and one bag of white, and create a ribbon effect on top.
Alternative Or Additional Toppings
- White chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Milk chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate chips
- Peppermint chips
- Peppermint candies sprinkled on top
- Toffee bits sprinkled on top
- Flaky salt or sea salt
- Brown butter
- Peanut butter cups
- Cocoa Krispies for a very chocolatey treat
How Do I Store The Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats?
You can store the treats in an airtight container and leave them at room temperature.
More Easy Recipes
- Hello Dolly Bars
- Pound cake with sweetened condensed milk
- Sweetened condensed milk chocolate chips bars
- Chocolate turtle fudge
- Chocolate cobbler for two from Dance Around the Kitchen
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Check out the peanut butter treats recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a great dessert and a favorite treat any time of year.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your Chocolate and peanut butter Rice Krispie treats on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (mini or big)
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease and line a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper. (Grease first as it helps hold the paper down).
- Add the butter to a large saucepan and melt on medium heat.
- Next, add the marshmallows to the saucepan and melt, stirring often.
- Add the peanut butter and mix until melted and combined.
- Pour the Rice Krispies into the pan and mix until covered with marshmallows.
- Carefully press the Rice Krispie mixture into the pan (it will be hot).
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute, stirring at the 30-second mark. (Use a heat-safe and microwave-safe bowl).
- Spread the chocolate over the treats and refrigerate to harden the chocolate.
- Pull the treats out on the parchment paper and cut.
If the chocolate chips are not melted after one minute, stir them again as the chocolate will continue to melt.
For best results with cutting, refrigerate the treats for at least one hour until the chocolate hardens. Then, lift the parchment paper out and slice.
I used a 5.5 quart saucepan for this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is approximate.