In my home, we don’t need a special occasion to fuel my desire to make a homemade chocolate cake.
Oh, no, no, no. Perhaps you’ve already noticed my chocolate addiction, and if you’re ready to go along for the ride, this old fashioned mayonnaise cake recipe is going to give you the most decadent cake you’ve ever had.
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
Forget cake mixes; this easy recipe is the key to a moist cake loaded with rich chocolate flavor. And let me tell you–it is the best.
An Easy Cake That Has Stood the Test of Time
The cake is straight from the Great Depression. Looking back, I wish I could ask more questions from those that lived during that era, including my grandmother.
But the thing that got my attention was when she baked a cake that she called “crazy cake.” That sounds a lot more fun than chocolate mayo cake, and being a kid, I thought the name was hilarious.
I soon stopped giggling about the name when I got a taste of this dense cake. The moist texture of this rich chocolate cake was something I never forgot.
It was the taste of home for me. And, of course, it’s a delicious chocolate cake I love so dearly.
These days, I love making the old fashioned homemade cake recipe. My husband always says it’s a miracle any of it is left for him and the kids because it’s so good I could easily eat the entire cake.
Ingredients For Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Baking soda
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How to Make an Old Fashioned Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Chocolate mayonnaise cake ingredients are simple indeed. Obviously, mayonnaise is that secret ingredient here.
- Mix the water, mayonnaise, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda, and whisk.
- Pour batter into a greased pan and bake.
Did you notice what is missing from the list? Eggs!
In the days of the Great Depression, money and supplies could be sparse, and families had to stretch their budgets.
Today with the price of eggs soaring, it may be handy to have a recipe you can use for birthday cakes that don’t require eggs.
It’s super easy, and you get a guaranteed delicious cake too.
Start by adding the mayonnaise to a large bowl.
Next, add the water to the bowl.
Pour the vanilla extract into the bowl and mix the three ingredients.
Add the flour, baking soda, and sugar to the bowl.
Next, add the unsweetened cocoa powder to the bowl and the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together well.
You can use a whisk or an electric mixer.
Pour the cake batter into a square 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean, at 350 degrees.
Allow the cake to cool to room temperature before adding any frosting.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Old fashioned fudge with peanut butter
- Easy old fashioned chocolate peanut butter fudge
- Coffee cake without sour cream
- Coca-Cola Cake
- Buttermilk Texas sheet cake
- Easy vanilla mayonnaise cake from Margin Making Mom
- 3-ingredient deep dish chocolate chip cookie with caramel from Join Me In The Kitchen
Does The Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
You do not need to refrigerate the cake. But it will last a few days longer in the refrigerator.
How To Store The Mayonnaise Cake
Store the cake in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap.
For the best chocolate mayonnaise cake recipe, look no further. Our grandmothers sure knew how to make something delicious even when times were tight.
No one will ever guess that it’s mayonnaise that leads to this moist and heavenly texture. This awesome cake is truly a keeper!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a nonstick 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- Add the mayonnaise, water, and vanilla extract to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, add the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour the cake into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool to room temperature before frosting.
For this recipe, I used Duke's Mayonnaise.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.