Moist chocolate Coca Cola cake is just like your favorite Cracker Barrel sheet cake and so much tastier than a boxed cake mix.
It’s an easy recipe that makes enough to feed quite a few people. It’s a dessert you’re going to want to make again and again.
The Best Coca Cola Cake
I took my youngest son to Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago and ordered two pieces of cake to go. One for him and one for me.
It was all I could do to not eat his piece, along with mine, once we got home.
I love cake, especially with a scoop of ice cream on the side. This cake is perfect with a side of chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Or, if you really want to live large, grab a scoop of both. Mmm…
There are several steps to the recipe, but this was a pretty easy chocolate cake recipe, and I was glad to have more than one piece at home to eat (plus my son was glad I wasn’t trying to eat his).
Get your grocery store list ready! And, get a cup of Coca-Cola to drink while you’re at it.
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed in the recipe card below.
- For the cake, add the dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Add the butter, vegetable oil, and Coca-Cola to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil on high.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour and mix with an electric mixer.
- Next, add the buttermilk, vanilla extract, and eggs and mix well.
- Pour into a prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- For the frosting, add the butter, Coca-Cola, vanilla extract, and cocoa to a saucepan, mix well, and heat on medium heat.
- Next, add the chocolate syrup and mix.
- Finally, add the confectioners sugar and mix until all of the lumps are gone.
- Allow the frosting to cool for about 15 minutes and pour over the cake.
Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and unsweetened cocoa in a bowl, mix together and set aside.
In a saucepan combine butter, vegetable oil, and Coca-Cola. Bring to a boil on high.
(If you look closely you can see my phone in the reflection!)
Once the mixture boils, pour it into the flour mixture and stir.
TIP: Make sure to completely stir the mixture into the flour before adding the eggs to keep them from cooking. I’ve added eggs to hot boiling liquids and accidentally made scrambled eggs. Oops. But, that’s how you learn.
Add the eggs to the mixture and mix well.
Next, add the vanilla extract.
Vanilla is going to enhance the other flavors that are in the recipe.
If you don’t have any vanilla on hand, that is fine, it will still taste wonderful. But, vanilla will always make it a little better. That goes for cookies, pies, and other baked items that call for it.
Finally, add the buttermilk and stir everything together. Mmm…this makes it rich and delicious.
TIP: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use a combination of 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Mix it up for a minute and you’ve got a great replacement.
Buttermilk adds a bit of a tangy taste to anything that you make. I personally think it makes foods richer in taste.
The buttermilk is also going to add some moisture to a homemade chocolate cake recipe, or any recipe that you add it to.
Pour the cake batter into a greased 9″ x 13″ cake pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350-degrees.
You’ll know it’s done when you stick a cake tester in the middle or a knife, and it comes out clean.
I have a skinny little cake tester that I use so it doesn’t leave much of a mark when I am testing. It’s inexpensive and works perfectly for cakes, bread, or anything you need to test.
There’s a link to the tester down below in the recipe card.
This chocolate Coca-Cola frosting is pretty amazing and has a unique flavor. You can use it on lots of recipes for cake and cupcakes.
The Coca-Cola gives it a bit of a bite and sets it apart from other frostings.
It’s pretty darn easy to make, too.
Add the butter, unsweetened cocoa, Coca-Cola, and vanilla to a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until melted and warm.
You can add everything at once, or wait until the butter melts and then add the rest of the ingredients. Either way is fine.
Add the chocolate syrup to the cola mixture and mix together.
It’s shaping up nicely. It starts out pretty lumpy, but by the time you’re done cooking the frosting, it will be nice and smooth.
Finally, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Continue to stir until all of the lumps are gone.
Let the frosting cool for about 15 minutes before pouring onto the cake. Otherwise, it all slides off to the sides. I leave it sitting in the saucepan off of the burner for a little while.
Once it cools, be sure to give it a good stirring before pouring it onto the cake.
Pour the frosting over the top of the cake.
Doesn’t it look amazing? You could almost make the chocolate cake frosting a meal all on its own.
Let the cake and frosting cool for a few minutes before serving.
You will love the way the way the Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake turns out, and it will feed quite a few people. It’s the perfect dessert for holidays, church potlucks, and family get-togethers.
How Do I Store The Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake Recipe?
You can store the cake in an airtight container. You can either keep it on the counter or in the refrigerator. It will last longer in the refrigerator.
Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a wonderful Coca Cola cake recipe and everyone will love it!
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your cake on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup Coca-Cola
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease a 9" x 13" cake pan.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Add the vegetable oil, butter, and Coca-Cola to a medium saucepan on high. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Pour the oil mixture into the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk and mix well. Pour into a 9" x 13" cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before making frosting.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add the Coca-Cola, cocoa, and vanilla to a medium saucepan. Stir together and heat on medium.
- Add the chocolate syrup and mix well.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Stir until all of the lumps are gone.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Pour over the cake and let cool before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 pieces Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 1gSugar: 50gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is approximate
Find more delicious recipes at