This easy pecan sandies recipe is a buttery cookie that is perfect for potlucks, holidays, cookie exchanges, or just sitting around eating (this is one of my favorite things).
Easy Pecan Sandies Recipe
My youngest loved the cookies and couldn’t stop eating them.
And, I have to admit, I had a tough time stopping at one cookie because they are just so good. The cookies were gone fast!
An Easy And Decadent Cookie Recipe
The easy and decadent recipe is a buttery shortbread cookie with toasted chopped pecans.
Some people like to sprinkle powdered sugar on top or roll them in it before cooking, but I prefer them just as they are. It just comes down to preference.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Pecan Sandies?
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make the Pecan Sandies Cookies Recipe?
- Toast the pecans in a skillet with some butter and set aside.
- Start by adding the softened butter to a large bowl.
- Next, add the sugar and mix until creamy.
- Add the flour and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix well.
- Finally, add the chopped pecans and mix.
- Pour half of the shortbread cookie dough onto a large piece of parchment paper (the dough will be very dry and crumbly) and roll it up while pressing the dough together.
- Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Create a log shape and place it in the refrigerator for one hour.
- After one hour, slice the cookies and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown.
Making the Pecan Sandies Recipe
Toast the pecans in a skillet with two tablespoons of butter and set it aside.
Add the softened butter to a large mixing bowl.
Next, add the sugar to the bowl and cream the two ingredients together with a hand mixer.
Pour the flour into the bowl and mix well. The cookie/shortbread dough will be very crumbly.
I thought I messed up on the recipe, but when you go to roll it up, it will all come together.
Pour the vanilla extract into the bowl and mix.
Finally, add the pecans to the bowl and mix.
Grab a large piece of parchment paper and lay it out on the counter. Pour half of your crumbly cookie dough on top and press it together.
You’ll have to work it into a log shape and then wrap the parchment paper around it.
It doesn’t have to be perfect. You are aiming to make it round. If you watch the video, you’ll be able to watch me roll it up.
Place the unbaked dough log into the refrigerator for one hour to firm up.
Repeat with the remainder of the cookie dough.
Once you remove it from the refrigerator, slice it into 1/2-inch slices.
You DO NOT want to slice them at room temperature because they will blob into a ball. When you refrigerate them, they will slice into a nice round cookie.
Place the cookies on a large baking sheet at least one inch apart and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges.
The cookies really won’t spread or rise while baking. They will keep their shortbread shape.
Other Delicious Cookies And Desserts:
- Brookies are the perfect combination of brownies and cookies, all rolled into one.
- Peanut butter swirl brownies are rich and decadent.
- Chewy sugar cookies are easy to make, delicious to eat, and don’t require refrigeration before baking.
- Brownie cake combines cake and brownie mix for a decadent dessert.
- Snickerdoodle bars are just like the cookies but in bar form. They are crunchy on the top and chewy in the middle and wonderfully delicious sweet treats.
- Easy stovetop candied pecans are perfect for gift giving and snacking.
- Raspberry Jello salad is a wonderfully traditional and colorful dessert for the holidays.
- Mexican wedding cookies are a great addition to any cookie exchange party. They go great with a steaming mug of hot chocolate.
How To Store The Old Fashioned Pecan Sandies
Store the sandies in an airtight container or place them in a sealed baggy.
You can put them in freezer bags and freeze them for up to a couple of months.
The Best Pecan Sandies Recipe
Be sure to get the full recipe below. It’s a crowd pleaser, and it’s perfect for your cookie platter.
The homemade recipe is so much better than the store-bought cookie counterparts. I promise it will become a favorite cookie.
And, if it’s your first time making them, you will love how easy they are to make.
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted (+1 Tablespoon of butter for toasting)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toast the pecans in a skillet with 1 Tablespoon of butter and set them aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the softened butter to a large bowl.
- Next, add the sugar and cream the two ingredients with an electric mixer.
- Add the flour and mix well. (The shortbread cookie dough will be very crumbly).
- Pour the vanilla extract into the dough and mix.
- Finally, add the chopped pecans and mix.
- Pour half of the crumbly cookie dough onto a large piece of parchment paper and roll dough into a log.
- Do it again with the other half of the cookie dough.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Remove the log from the refrigerator and slice each cookie about 1/2-inch thick and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges.
The cookies will be crumbly before you press the mixture into a log. It will have a sandy texture. But, after you refrigerate it the cookies will slice easily.
If you don't have parchment paper you can use plastic wrap instead.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutrition is approximate.