Buttermilk Texas Sheet Cake with vanilla is a delicious dessert to make for a birthday party, church potluck, or any holiday. The rich buttercream frosting recipe is perfect with a vanilla flavoring. You are going to love this recipe. The hardest thing you’ll have to do while making this cake is decide if you want to sprinkle some pecans on top.
Buttermilk Texas Sheet Cake
Don’t you love a good Texas sheet cake recipe? I promise this is one of those homemade desserts that you are going to fall in love with.
My son, Ethan, has been wanting to help me more in the kitchen. He loves helping add things to the recipe and then watching as the ingredients take shape.
And of course, his favorite thing to do is eat the recipe when it’s done!
I think he might have asked me if he could take a bite 10 times while the cake was cooling. But, it was worth the wait.
I can remember helping my grandmother in her kitchen. She could whip up a meal or dessert in no time flat. Sometimes, she’d get up before heading off to work and make us a pie, including pie crust from scratch!
So, I love it when Ethan comes to help me in the kitchen. I hope he will have the same fond memories with me that I have with my grandmother.
Recipe and printable instructions listed below.
Add the sugar and the flour to a large bowl and mix together. Set aside.
Add the oil, butter, and water to a saucepan. Heat on medium-high until the mixture boils.
Once the mixture boils, remove from heat, and pour into flour mixture.
Mix with a beater until well blended.
Add the cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda, and buttermilk and mix together with a beater.
Pour the mixture into the greased jelly-roll pan. I used a 10″ x 15″ pan.
Bake at 350-degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for 30 or more minutes.
This is such an easy frosting recipe. You can use it on a lot of other cakes, as well.
Make the frosting just before pouring it onto the cooled cake.
Start by adding butter and brown sugar to a saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir.
Bring to a boil. Cook until just a little bit thick and the brown sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat and let it sit for about one minute.
Add the milk and stir it in.
Then add the powdered sugar and mix with a beater until smooth.
Slowly pour the frosting over the cake. Let it cool and serve.
It got a little messy, but it sure tastes good going down.
If you’re looking for a different flavored cake, try:
- Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake,
- Easy Homemade Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting
- Pound Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease jelly-roll pan and set aside.
- Add the flour and sugar to a large bowl. Mix it up and set it aside.
- Add the oil, butter, and water to a saucepan, turn it on medium-high, and bring it to a boil.
- Pour the boiling oil mixture over the flour and mix until well blended.
- Add the eggs, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix with a beater until well blended.
- Pour into the jelly-roll pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a sauce pan and cook on medium-high.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until it begins to thicken and the brown sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a minute or two.
- Add the milk and mix it in.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix with a beater until it is smooth.
- Pour over the cake and let cool.
Allow the cake to cool before adding the frosting.
- USA Pan Bakeware Jelly Roll Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 386 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 172mg Carbohydrates: 63g Fiber: 0.5g Sugar: 51g Protein: 2g
Check out more delicious recipes at: